Buying Basic Potions & Writing Paper

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

D4wN

Buying Basic Potions & Writing Paper

Post by D4wN » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:36 pm

For the love of my wrist and to prevent RSI, buying writing paper and basic potions is such a pain. When buying these things in bulk frequently it really starts hurting. I'm unsure whether there is some coding available to be able to buy things in bulk and select how many you want to buy at once, but otherwise perhaps it may be worth simply adding these items in bulk for those who want to buy them 50 - 100 at the time. Or even just 10 at the time would make a huge difference.

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Buying Basic Potions & Writing Paper

Post by MalKalz » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:56 pm

There was work by BD (or was it NWNX?) that was allowing partial purchase of stacks to make it easier to buy things. However, purchases from merchants is very limited in what we can do. We have options, but is a lot of work.

1) You could redesign the whole merchant system and turn it into NUI. You then can buy as many as you want from it.

2) An area designer can identify every single merchant through opening every server area and updating their inventory to provide higher stocks (this is the least feasible option and extremely time consuming since there is only a few people with full area access).

In the mean time, I would suggest macros if possible to save yourself some pain from having to do it manually. And I am sure there is other options I have missed.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Morgy
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Morgy » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:02 am

If it helps, right clicking the product and using numpad 6 makes things much quicker.. especially for items that sit in the right-hand side of the shop window, as the mouse cursor tends to land back on them again.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:33 am

Morgy wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:02 am
If it helps, right clicking the product and using numpad 6 makes things much quicker.. especially for items that sit in the right-hand side of the shop window, as the mouse cursor tends to land back on them again.
Initiate a conversation with the merchant, open your spellbook, and then select the option to open their trade window. This will force their shop window into a different position, so that you can spam click icons that would normally be unfavorably placed.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:46 am

Spyre wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:56 pm
There was work by BD (or was it NWNX?) that was allowing partial purchase of stacks to make it easier to buy things. However, purchases from merchants is very limited in what we can do. We have options, but is a lot of work.

1) You could redesign the whole merchant system and turn it into NUI. You then can buy as many as you want from it.

2) An area designer can identify every single merchant through opening every server area and updating their inventory to provide higher stocks (this is the least feasible option and extremely time consuming since there is only a few people with full area access).

In the mean time, I would suggest macros if possible to save yourself some pain from having to do it manually. And I am sure there is other options I have missed.
Would it not be possible to simply add stacks of 100 or 50 to the vendors options to buy? I will promise you that I shall buy them LOL

Currently playing:

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Emma Young - Rolled

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:46 am

Morgy wrote:
That works okay'ish for items sold on the right hand of the shop menu. It doesn't for items on the left side.

Currently playing:

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Emma Young - Rolled

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:48 am

The Rambling Midget wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:33 am
Morgy wrote:
Initiate a conversation with the merchant, open your spellbook, and then select the option to open their trade window. This will force their shop window into a different position, so that you can spam click icons that would normally be unfavorably placed.
I'll try this! Thank you

Currently playing:

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Emma Young - Rolled

AllPizzasArePersonal

Post by AllPizzasArePersonal » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:14 pm

Spyre wrote:

Would a compromise like updating the potion vendor in the Shadowvar Tradepost to have high stock options be possible? It's an area where anyone - surfacer or underdarker - can enter. You cannot be exiled from the tradepost. So it would be available to everyone and provide some option for a high stock potion purchase.

msheeler
Contributor
Contributor

Post by msheeler » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:26 pm

D4wN wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:46 am
Spyre wrote:

Would it not be possible to simply add stacks of 100 or 50 to the vendors options to buy? I will promise you that I shall buy them LOL
This would be so inconceivably mind numbing and long it would never be worth it. It would take someone with full access (Basically Irongon or Spyre? ) an estimated 2 two 3 weeks working 8 hours a day doing nothing but this. Given that this is volunteer stuff and people generally have a quarter of that time on any given day to put work into this you could multiply that duration by 4 and say it would realistically take a good 2 months of dev work.

Just to give you a hard figure on what you are asking for.

donarek

Post by donarek » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:28 pm

This is a little auto-hotkey script, that I use for bulk buying in NWN.

Installation: https://www.autohotkey.com/download/ahk-install.exe , shoud associate .ahk scripts with this program, which are just text files.

Make an file, for example - nwn-buyscript.ahk

Put inside:

Code: Select all

SetKeyDelay, 0
CoordMode, Mouse, Screen
;-- windows + a - pauses script in case of crazy stuff happens during loop
#a::Pause
;-- Buy once
NumpadAdd::
	Buy()
return
;-- Buy multiple times, Loop X-times
NumpadSub::
	Loop 25
	{
		Buy()
	}
return
;-- Buy function itself
Buy()
{
	global X
	global Y
	MouseGetPos, X, Y
	Send, {RButton}
	Sleep, 120
	Send, {Numpad6}
	Sleep, 120
	MouseMove, X, Y, 0
	Sleep, 100
	MouseMove, 2, 0, 0, R
	Sleep, 100
	MouseMove, -2, 0, 0, R
	Sleep, 50
	return
}
I don't know if those initiall two lines are really needed. Plz, take it as starter for your experimentation. Save file, double click it to run with AutoHotkey. You can see it's running by white H icon on green background in your system tray area. Right click to exit. The script itself shoud be self-explanatory (to a degree :0).

Numpad +, when mouse cursor is on shop item you want - buy once.
Numpad -, when mouse cursor is on shop item you want - buy 25times or number you specify in script. Dont forget to reload the script if you edit loop count.

EDIT - I play NWN in windowed mode, maximised.

Characters:
Cecil - Active
Qtar Thepetor - Lost in the Void
Rudolfo - Teleported thru the roof

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:37 am

msheeler wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:26 pm
D4wN wrote:
Spyre wrote:

This would be so inconceivably mind numbing and long it would never be worth it. It would take someone with full access (Basically Irongon or Spyre? ) an estimated 2 two 3 weeks working 8 hours a day doing nothing but this. Given that this is volunteer stuff and people generally have a quarter of that time on any given day to put work into this you could multiply that duration by 4 and say it would realistically take a good 2 months of dev work.

Sorry I'm not a coder and I'm unsure why this would be so much work. The current vendors already stock single items. Forgive my ignorance but why would it be so much work to add stacks of 10 on top of single items (similar to the empty magical bottles used for brewing potions) as permanent items to buy on potion or paper selling vendors? Just trying to understand :)

Currently playing:

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Emma Young - Rolled

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:38 am

donarek wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:28 pm

Installation: https://www.autohotkey.com/download/ahk-install.exe , shoud associate .ahk scripts with this program, which are just text files.

Put inside:

SetKeyDelay, 0
CoordMode, Mouse, Screen
;-- Buy once
	Buy()
return
	Loop 25
	{
		Buy()
	}
return
;-- Buy function itself
Buy()
{
	global X
	global Y
	MouseGetPos, X, Y
	Send, {RButton}
	Sleep, 120
	Send, {Numpad6}
	Sleep, 120
	MouseMove, X, Y, 0
	Sleep, 100
	MouseMove, 2, 0, 0, R
	Sleep, 100
	MouseMove, -2, 0, 0, R
	Sleep, 50
	return
}
I don't know if those initiall two lines are really needed. Plz, take it as starter for your experimentation. Save file, double click it to run with AutoHotkey. You can see it's running by white H icon on green background in your system tray area. Right click to exit. The script itself shoud be self-explanatory (to a degree :0).

Numpad -, when mouse cursor is on shop item you want - buy 25times or number you specify in script. Dont forget to reload the script if you edit loop count.

Yikes, this goes way over my head. But thank you so much for trying to help! For now I'll stick with single item purchase. I don't even know how to make macros LOL

Currently playing:

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Emma Young - Rolled

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:00 am

D4wN wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:37 am
msheeler wrote:
D4wN wrote:

Sorry I'm not a coder and I'm unsure why this would be so much work. The current vendors already stock single items. Forgive my ignorance but why would it be so much work to add stacks of 10 on top of single items (similar to the empty magical bottles used for brewing potions) as permanent items to buy on potion or paper selling vendors? Just trying to understand :)
It's option two of my list there.

Vendors are not code based; they are placed individually in the area (most often these are custom made shops per area) and would require a person to load the area in the toolset, make the adjustments, then upload the area to our repositories. The only people with full area access are Irongron, myself and I think Actionreplay.

The most difficult part is that we do not know where every single merchant is. And, that is the time consuming part.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:33 am

Spyre wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:00 am
D4wN wrote:
msheeler wrote:

Vendors are not code based; they are placed individually in the area (most often these are custom made shops per area) and would require a person to load the area in the toolset, make the adjustments, then upload the area to our repositories. The only people with full area access are Irongron, myself and I think Actionreplay.

The most difficult part is that we do not know where every single merchant is. And, that is the time consuming part.
Oh I see! Thanks for explaining :)

Currently playing:

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Emma Young - Rolled

JustMonika

Post by JustMonika » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:40 pm

Could we not just start with a small handful of merchants in major cities?

Temporarily back to Arelith and currently Lilliana Snowfire.

If you have unfinished business with Ultrianan, let me know! Arabella has been rolled.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:34 pm

donarek wrote:

Put inside:

SetKeyDelay, 0
CoordMode, Mouse, Screen
;-- Buy once
	Buy()
return
	Loop 25
	{
		Buy()
	}
return
;-- Buy function itself
Buy()
{
	global X
	global Y
	MouseGetPos, X, Y
	Send, {RButton}
	Sleep, 120
	Send, {Numpad6}
	Sleep, 120
	MouseMove, X, Y, 0
	Sleep, 100
	MouseMove, 2, 0, 0, R
	Sleep, 100
	MouseMove, -2, 0, 0, R
	Sleep, 50
	return
}

This is amazing, thank you so much for sharing!

ElvenEdibles

Post by ElvenEdibles » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:08 am

^ESC:: ;Deactivate Loop Mode
BreakLoop = 1
return

^+ESC:: ;Activate Loop Mode
BreakLoop = 0
return

^0:: ;autobuy
MouseGetPos, xpos, ypos

loop 10000
{
if(BreakLoop = 1)
break

MouseClick, right, xpos, ypos
SendEvent {Numpad3}
sleep, 100
}
return
I use this autohotkey ditty. Press ctrl + esc to break an autopurchase in progress and ctrl + shift + esc to reactivate autopurchasing

my numpad3 maps to the third radial icon from the top. so many ways to skin a cat!

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:54 am

donarek wrote:
Thank you! This is a tremendous help.

WitchyEvil

Post by WitchyEvil » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:28 am

Spyre wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:00 am
D4wN wrote:
msheeler wrote:

As a Compromise:
Update the Shadowvar Necromancer, Arcane Tower, and the Boreal Keep Vendors.
Give them like: 10, 50 stacks - UNLIMITED purchase; right now if someone buys the necromancers 5 stack wands/10 stack scrolls, it's done til reset.

Potions
Writing Paper
Blank Scrolls
Blank Wands
Potion Bottles
Just the base consumables they do offer

It doesn't need to be every merchant, but this would be a 'All' Merchant (Shadowvar), Surface (Arcane Tower) and UD (Boreal Keep) and would be a great QoL update with relatively little effort.
Currently Playing
Lilith Vensurai

Sincra
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Sincra » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:15 am

I'm looking into an experimental solution but no promises.
Irongron wrote:I've literally never used -guard on anyone.