Fiendish Crown Grants odd feats

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

JustMonika

Fiendish Crown Grants odd feats

Post by JustMonika » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:50 pm

The Item, 'Fiendish Crown' is a dubiously evil crown that appears to be themeatically specifically devoted to helping ethically challenged individuals summon stuff.

To that effect it gives you Spell Focus Conjuration & Necromancy, and Infinate uses a day of lesser planar binding.

The snag is that Spell Focus Conjuration specifically excludes any benefits for the planar binding spell line, so the 'Fiendish Crown', is actually no help at all for anyone summoning fiends.

Temporarily back to Arelith and currently Lilliana Snowfire.

If you have unfinished business with Ultrianan, let me know! Arabella has been rolled.

Good Character

Re: Fiendish Crown Grants odd feats

Post by Good Character » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:37 pm

The crown exists for blackguards. Equip it before you summon your undead or fiend. The bonus summons on it is just to act as a filler when your class-based summons are on cooldown.

JustMonika

Post by JustMonika » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:05 pm

It strikes me as odd to design an item exclusively for Blackguards that gives 3 Hexblade spell slots...

Also if it affects Blackguards 'summon fiend' but not fiends summoned via planar binding, which it itself casts, I would also define that as 'odd'.

It certainly does (slightly) boost the Blackguard's undead, although I'm not sure why, because nothing whatsoever in the items lore says anything about undead.

If you have unfinished business with Ultrianan, let me know! Arabella has been rolled.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:00 pm

Not everything has to be 100% optimized. Hexblade makes less use of some of the things, but extra use out of some other things. Also, someone might make a multi class version.

It's the same reason the Radiant Heart Ring has lesser planar binding as an option.

There's nothing odd about this item.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

JustMonika

Post by JustMonika » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:41 pm

Xerah wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:00 pm
Not everything has to be 100% optimized. Hexblade makes less use of some of the things, but extra use out of some other things. Also, someone might make a multi class version.

It's the same reason the Radiant Heart Ring has lesser planar binding as an option.

There's nothing odd about this item.
It's got nothing to with it not being optomised. It's the fact the lore of the item, (IE, what it says it will do) and what it actually does are at odds.
It's like having a potion that says, 'This is renowned for making you faster', but when you drink it, it casts bulls strength.

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:06 am

Maybe it needs to be posted to the bad descriptions thread, then?

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???