Languages - Missing and Desired Translations

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Languages - Missing and Desired Translations

Post by Eira » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:47 pm

The way the language system works, certain words translate to specific other words, whether from lore or matching translation to similar words in that language. There are holes in several of the languages that need to be filled.

If there are any words that you know need translation or even need to not be translated (names of deities, places, canon houses, canon factions, etc), please list them here with the word and specifying the translation and language.

EXAMPLES:

Corellon > Elven > Corellon
Good > Giant > Maat

or

Elven
Corellon > Corellon
Larethian > Larethian
Soulmate > Thiramin

If the specific word you want has a translation that can be sourced and is not currently part of the system, referencing the source will help cut down research we need to do later on.

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

Paint

Re: Languages - Missing and Desired Translations

Post by Paint » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:53 pm

Apologies for any redundancy, but for Halfling, I'd just like to request that all of the deities have their names correctly translated:

Arvoreen
Brandobaris
Cyrrollalee
Shalamora(Just another name for Tymora.)
Tymora
Urogalan
Sheela Peryroyl
Yondalla

Additionally, river should be translated as shyr;
For some reason, I kept getting the nagging feeling it isn't, but it's why the region near bendir dale is called shyr in the first place.

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:50 pm

Elven
Leuthilspar > Leuthilspar
Ty'athalael > Ty'athalael
Siluvanede > Siluvanede
cooshee > cooshee
high magic > arselu'tel'quess
high mages > selu'taar

I'm sure I've forgotten something, but I'll put in a new post when I remember!

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:44 pm

I don't know how complicated it'd be, but would it be possible to just have it not translate any proper nouns? That is, any word that has a capital first letter that isn't at the beginning of a sentence is -probably- a proper noun.

A sentence in this case would anything that would normally be translated, or after a period/exclamation mark/question mark.

That would solve the issue of people's names, as long as they are not at the start of a sentence, as well as deities and places.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Sincra
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Sincra » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:16 am

WanderingPoet wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:44 pm
I don't know how complicated it'd be, but would it be possible to just have it not translate any proper nouns? That is, any word that has a capital first letter that isn't at the beginning of a sentence is -probably- a proper noun.

A sentence in this case would anything that would normally be translated, or after a period/exclamation mark/question mark.

That would solve the issue of people's names, as long as they are not at the start of a sentence, as well as deities and places.
This is complicated as involves alot of back and forth checking on the sentence, for every sentence.
So not only is this going to require that if a capital letter is found that it also checks backwards for a character exemption it will be done on every sentence said.

I'd personally not do this with NWN as I have a feeling it'd exaserpate the already heavy burden language lessons have.
Irongron wrote:I've literally never used -guard on anyone.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:44 pm

WanderingPoet wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:44 pm

You can forego translating a name by putting it in brackets, like this: [Name]

Last edited by MissEvelyn on Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:43 pm

Moradinsamman > Dwarven > Moradinsamman

Keeping my eyes out for others!

L I C E

Post by L I C E » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:14 pm

The most important word doesn't work in Xanalress. This cannot be.
Vith Usstan is an equivalent of saying "F me!", though in our in-game translation only "I" comes through as Usstan, whereas both "Me" and "I" should both translate as Usstan, because in the drow dialect of Elven they are the same word. "Me" currently comes through as "uns'aa", which is incorrect according to the Drow of the Underdark sourcebook. Vith is a curse word that means "F***" or "shag", or any other extremely informal word for sex.

F*** > Xanalress > Vith
Me > Xanalress > Usstan

The source for most of this is the Drow of the Underdark book, but also NwN itself which references the phrase "vith usstan" in Hordes of the Underdark. While I'm not one to encourage senseless swearing, it is odd that a rather well-known curse among drow isn't translated properly from one of the oldest sourcebooks.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:07 am

L I C E wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:14 pm

The most important word doesn't work in Xanalress. This cannot be.
Vith Usstan is an equivalent of saying "F me!", though in our in-game translation only "I" comes through as Usstan, whereas both "Me" and "I" should both translate as Usstan, because in the drow dialect of Elven they are the same word. "Me" currently comes through as "uns'aa", which is incorrect according to the Drow of the Underdark sourcebook. Vith is a curse word that means "F***" or "shag", or any other extremely informal word for sex.

F*** > Xanalress > Vith
Me > Xanalress > Usstan

The source for most of this is the Drow of the Underdark book, but also NwN itself which references the phrase "vith usstan" in Hordes of the Underdark. While I'm not one to encourage senseless swearing, it is odd that a rather well-known curse among drow isn't translated properly from one of the oldest sourcebooks.

Vith in Arelith is translated as damn.

It doesn't matter how canon it is, there will not be a mechanical representation of fuck translating into something canonical.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:56 pm

elf-friend -> Elven -> sha'tel'quessir (currently translates to "tel'quess-sha")
elf friend -> Elven -> sha'tel'quessir

Chiana

Post by Chiana » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:04 pm

Paint wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:53 pm

Apologies for any redundancy, but for Halfling, I'd just like to request that all of the deities have their names correctly translated:

Arvoreen
Brandobaris
Cyrrollalee
Shalamora(Just another name for Tymora.)
Tymora
Urogalan
Sheela Peryroyl
Yondalla

Additionally, river should be translated as shyr;
For some reason, I kept getting the nagging feeling it isn't, but it's why the region near bendir dale is called shyr in the first place.

I second this, The source of the Shyr is on the FR wiki under "Halfling_language". Would also request the hin language to be updated to "Luiric"