The lower dark climb DC should be reconsidered.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

UilliamNebel

The lower dark climb DC should be reconsidered.

Post by UilliamNebel » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:24 am

The lower dark climb down, from behind the trade post, DC is pretty bad. Want to have less than %99.99999 able to accomplish it, I'd suggest then having much clearer signs for how suicidal it be to try without items and a buff, I mean like crystal clear signs. Otherwise, just feels like a developer rug pull on the player and dissuades trust for exploration not to have more 'live and learn' gags that aren't very fun, or immersive to come across.

Azensor

Re: The lower dark climb DC should be reconsidered.

Post by Azensor » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:05 am

UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:24 am

The lower dark climb down, from behind the trade post, DC is pretty bad. Want to have less than %99.99999 able to accomplish it, I'd suggest then having much clearer signs for how suicidal it be to try without items and a buff, I mean like crystal clear signs. Otherwise, just feels like a developer rug pull on the player and dissuades trust for exploration not to have more 'live and learn' gags that aren't very fun, or immersive to come across.

Its either dc 90 or 100, and is basically a direct connection to one lower dark dungeon with the other being a stones throw away. Though opening the spot up for ropes to work on it /would/ be nice.

Dragonovith
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dragonovith » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:14 am

UilliamNebel wrote:

I'd suggest then having much clearer signs for how suicidal it be to try without items and a buff, I mean like crystal clear signs.

The 'near impossible' and 'potentially fatal' warning messages were not enough?

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:11 pm

Climb is an interesting idea, but having checks requiring that kind of investment is sort of odd with the way the server is set up currently. Climb doesn't really have anything going for it for that kind of investment. Comparatively, you could put that kind of investment into sail and have a huge amount of game content opened up to you.

Spriggan Bride

Post by Spriggan Bride » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:45 pm

Dragonovith wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:14 am
UilliamNebel wrote:

I'd suggest then having much clearer signs for how suicidal it be to try without items and a buff, I mean like crystal clear signs.

Is there a guide somewhere to translate that into DC? I haven't use climb in ages so forgive my ignorance if it's changed but if I remember right you don't know if that "impossible" means DC 40 or DC 100.

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:54 pm

There are ways to buy climb equipment very cheap in game that will buffer your climb considerable.

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Dragonovith
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dragonovith » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:00 pm

Spriggan Bride wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:45 pm
Dragonovith wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:14 am
UilliamNebel wrote:

Is there a guide somewhere to translate that into DC? I haven't use climb in ages so forgive my ignorance if it's changed but if I remember right you don't know if that "impossible" means DC 40 or DC 100.

The feedback is relative to your skill. A character with 3 climb and a character with 50 will get different warning messages.

msheeler
Contributor
Contributor

Post by msheeler » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:51 am

I actually wrote this one, so I know what the feedback is.

The simple, routine, . . ., near impossible are indeed all relative to the individual player's climb DC. So a person with 0 climb against a climb spot with a 20 DC would get feedback that said "This looks near impossible", but a person with a 23 in climb would get feedback that said "this looks simple".

Same goes for the damage. Each spot has customizable damage amounts and the feed back you get is directly tied back to your character's individual HPs. That is if you are 2nd level wizard with an 8 con and were to fail a DC check and the damage was 3d8 (in other words this could kill you) you would see feedback that said it was "potentially fatal" - you might die. However a level 12 barbarian would get feedback that said failing this would result in trivial damage. 3d8 is a scratch when you have 150ish hps.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:44 am

One feedback I have for climb is that rolling a 1 really sucks.

If it's a dangerous climb then even a master climber has a 5% chance of just outright dying. That's not very fun. Perhaps a higher climb score could lower the damage you take on a fail, as you catch yourself falling?

Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:48 am

WanderingPoet wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:44 am

One feedback I have for climb is that rolling a 1 really sucks.

If it's a dangerous climb then even a master climber has a 5% chance of just outright dying. That's not very fun. Perhaps a higher climb score could lower the damage you take on a fail, as you catch yourself falling?

Skill checks dont have nat 1s and 20s. Why does this one have? Especially when it's a roll vs death at times.

Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

dominantdrowess
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by dominantdrowess » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:32 am

Lol. I've died to this. xD

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:56 am

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:36 pm

I don't know if this is still a thing, but dying to these climb spots in the past that took you to another area often left no corpse in either area.

God_In_Action

Post by God_In_Action » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:11 pm

If you're talking about the climb spot in resref: "ar_ud_stairentry" aka Underdark (Upper) Into The Deep, whenever I climb this spot it doesn't matter if I pass the check, nothing happens and I stay where I am.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:24 pm

I like the dangerous climbs, especially in the UD. You're not just underground, you're so far under the underground that you're in the underdark, a whole different world .. and in that world there are holes so deep that they can just lead into nothingness and twisted reality. Jumping into a hole in the UD should probably be incredibly suicidal.

This specific spot when I first went down, was a huge pain to get my way back to safety, and I had a blast even all by myself.

I think a player could remedy this though. Someone could just pop up a sign warning people that hole is not a good time, or .. that there's free cupcakes down there.