Desyncs and You - A bug seeking form

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Sincra
Project Lead
Project Lead

Desyncs and You - A bug seeking form

Post by Sincra » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:21 am

Due to the ever present issue of Desyncs, I have produced a form with the aim of helping narrow down the exact causes based on experiences and responses.

Please keep this link handy and fill it out whenever you have a "Desync".
https://forms.gle/XoJ8B5MyzGH6mm2t6

Irongron wrote:I've literally never used -guard on anyone.

Svrtr
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Desyncs and You - A bug seeking form

Post by Svrtr » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:15 pm

While its certainly not the only time I notice it, the most common time certainly I seem to get desyncs is when transitioning from one server to another. Not after the server transition, but upon the first ZONE transition after said server transition desyncs are common.

I am sure people can attest to this server transition into zone transition desync as I've noticed others too mention they'll relog/full reboot the game after the server transition to avoid it, which does seem to work.

God_In_Action

Post by God_In_Action » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:28 pm

Sometimes I will experience my character freezing to the spot, but I can still interact with the world (for example hear interactions and see them in the combat log). At other times the whole game freezes as if with lag, and when I leave the server and try to rejoin whichever specific server I was in at the time is greyed out as unknown. It doesn't let me join by direct IP. I can then join different Arelith servers, but it won't let me transition to the 'unknown' one. I don't know any solution to the second issue except waiting until the server is recognised and visible in the server browser again.

Are these both different types of desync, or are they different bugs?

Scylon

Post by Scylon » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:17 am

Svrtr wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:15 pm

While its certainly not the only time I notice it, the most common time certainly I seem to get desyncs is when transitioning from one server to another. Not after the server transition, but upon the first ZONE transition after said server transition desyncs are common.

I am sure people can attest to this server transition into zone transition desync as I've noticed others too mention they'll relog/full reboot the game after the server transition to avoid it, which does seem to work.

Ya, that is extremely common and reproducible. Typically on a fresh login. Seems to go away after logging back in again and is a per server bug.

That said i randomly getting it when just playing. you at times don't notice it till later.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:24 pm

All the times I've desynced in the past week or two have only been after transitioning into a new zone the first time after joining a server from another server.

Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:56 pm

For what it's worth, I've never desynced on a character that was empty-handed. Any time it happened the character had one or both hands equipped with items.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:01 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:56 pm

For what it's worth, I've never desynced on a character that was empty-handed. Any time it happened the character had one or both hands equipped with items.

I can explicitly say that I know I was empty handed all of those times. I'm playing a caster, so why bother paying for anything in the hands until you need final gear (there isn't even an equipable hand item in my character's inventory)

Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Sincra
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Sincra » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:34 pm

Thank you all for the data so far.
While the sample size is currently still limited it is already showing an emergent pattern to where this occurs most often.

Keep it coming!

Irongron wrote:I've literally never used -guard on anyone.

Wrips

Post by Wrips » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:34 pm

I can confirm the issue with changing servers. It always tends to desync after a few transitions, most of the time. Can't say if it's just my impression but it seems like Cordor Frontier and the Hub in Andunor are prime targets for crashing/desync after server transitions.

Battleshaw

Post by Battleshaw » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:44 pm

I can also vouch that desync mostly happens after coming and going from other servers and usually going through a few transitions. It's happened to me a few times.

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:02 pm

I never thought about it in relation to a server transition, since it always happens in similar spots, but I guess there is some relation? The big areas for me are the middle of the market in sibayad, the road into cordor (usually at the first temp shop) and just as I get into the city in Guldorand. though this one is less frequent. More often than not, there are people about when it happens, because i always think "these people are going to think I want to talk to them as my poor pc stands there mindlessly waiting for my return." Always a real concern during my anti social leveling phase :ugeek:

I personally have thought it was related to buff visuals, either on people or temp shops, which made sense giving the locations. But all of those locations involve a recent server transition (though the guld city is the only one that involves a few map shifts in between).

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:10 pm

When it happens to me, it is always after server transition. I somehow recall in the back of my head that it can happen on log in too, but that hasnt happened recently enough to remember that detail for sure. Most definitely after server transitions tho.

Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too