Spell Ideas: Megathread

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Hazard

Re: Spell Ideas: Megathread

Post by Hazard » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:24 am

MissEvelyn wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:19 pm

In 3.5, Clerics and Paladins could make Holy Water. If we could get a spell like that, that would be amazing! For example, as taken by inspiration from 3.5:

Bless Water
Spell Level: Cleric 1, Paladin 1
Innate Level: 1
School: Transmutation
Descriptor: Good
Components: Verbal, Somatic, Material (Water Bottle)
Range: Touch
Target: Water Bottle touched
Duration: Instantaneous

This transmutation imbues a bottle of water with positive energy, turning it into holy water.

This sounds really cool. Do you envision it costing exp or peity or something?

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:24 am

Hazard wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:24 am
MissEvelyn wrote:

In 3.5, Clerics and Paladins could make Holy Water. If we could get a spell like that, that would be amazing! For example, as taken by inspiration from 3.5:

Bless Water

This transmutation imbues a bottle of water with positive energy, turning it into holy water.

This sounds really cool. Do you envision it costing exp or peity or something?

Piety cost is a really good idea!

In Sorrow We Trust
Contributor
Contributor

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:17 am

MissEvelyn wrote:

Bless Water

Clerics can craft holy water through alchemy.

Vittoria Veleno
catch me if you can

Skytower

Post by Skytower » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:56 am

MissEvelyn wrote:

Bless Water

Given the easily craftable Holy Water, I'd like to see this modified to be cast on water sources like Wells and drinkable water in dungeons to 'cleanse' them and prevent them from causing disease for a set duration or uses.

Divide by fhtagn error. Please restart the game world.

Tikin

Post by Tikin » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:39 pm

Hi there!

Plenty of nice ideas in this thread :)

What I would love to see added is way more "unique" spells, I mean by that spells that could be used by only one kind of chars (like only specialized wizzards, only high lvl of this or that casting class ...). Wouldn't have to be super fighting spells, but things that would add flavor to chars.

Love that new spells are added btw, thanks! :heart:

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:23 pm

Some Shadow Weave only and Wild Mage stuff? Wild Mage is a bit forgotten.

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:39 pm

Since Ranger gets their first 1st level spells at 4, have the Cantrips be available at Ranger 2, instead of 4.

Disclaimer: I have a character with 3 levels in Ranger, hence noticing the opportunity for this.

Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:15 am

Summon Stool

• Summons a simple wooden arcane stool that can be sat on once. After getting up, it vanishes.

Summon Greater Stool

• Summons an arcane stood that can be sat on once. After getting up, it vanishes. It's slightly fancier looking. Lasts longer.

Both don't have collision to avoid cheese. When sat, you can -rotate to make sure you're sitting in the right direction. If you stop sitting on the stool, aka stop using the object, it vanishes. Maybe have it also only last a few hours for hijinks of wizards falling due to vanishing stools.

Conceal

Once this spell is cast, the character must remain still for it to remain in effect. The spell only activates after 5 rounds of remaining still, to show effort to hide themselves in a location via magic or covering themselves with nearby objects. The user gains +# Hide/MS and enters stealth. The character can not be detected unless within medium range. The character also can not hear whispers, as whatever is covering them muffles such soft sounds.

Prestidigitation

Prestidigitations are minor tricks that novice spellcasters use for practice, or learned arcanists use for simple tasks. Taking up a cantrip spot, the spell has a few sub-spells. The first sub-spell causes a fancy flash of casting but has no mechanical effect, allowing it to be used as an RP tool (Such as magically cleaning a space, or chilling/warming a drink). The second sub-spell lights a small flame that lasts an hour and hovers in the air, mimicking lighting a campfire or torch. The third option creates a grey useless rock that weighs 1 pound. The fourth acts like dyes in that you can color your equipment randomly, or perhaps with a set color via a command like the light spell commands.

Alarm

Casting this on an object allows the caster to be alerted that it has been interacted with. Lasts hours (Long enough to be useful, not long enough to be weirdly used). Can be casted on doors, containers, chairs, message boards, etc. Has a lowish DC for the person who tripped the Alarm spell to notice the spell going off, getting a prompt of some kind.

Maybe also have a floor cast version, that alerts if someone walks over a small area. (This oddly works with persistent AoE spells, you can get prompts in the combat log that Someone took damage from [spell]. Maybe make it do no damage to do this.)

Reverse Inertia

Lasts 1 round, maybe additional rounds per some focus. Timestop sized. All movement speeds are reversed for the duration of the spell. Hasted creatures move at 50% speed, while slowed creatures move at 150%. Additional bonus movespeeds via feats or class abilities also get reversed for the round. Characters moving at normal speed are unaffected.

Ranged weapon users within the spell's effect have their weapons miss.

Kalthariam

Post by Kalthariam » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:03 pm

I don't know if this would be really viable, or doable, but since we're suggesting spells here. I figured I'd ask?

I wonder if it's possible to have a summon stream or specific summon that is.. not used as a combatant? Maybe a summon that heals, provides bonuses to people for being alive and nearby them? Maybe a utility summon?

Right now all the summons through conjuration are nothing but combative summons, the only sort of "Summon" that isn't is familars which are often just picked for their ability to get into treasure chests.

It'd be neat to have a summon whom isn't just a pile of HP, AC, AB and AD and an extra warm body.

Watchful Glare

Post by Watchful Glare » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:51 pm

Rupture
Spell Level: Hemomancer 8, Cleric (Suffering Domain) 7
Innate Level: 8
School: Evocation
Descriptor: Blood Arcana, Evil, Blood?
Components: Verbal, Somatic, Material
Range: Medium
Target: Living Creature with blood
Duration: 1 Round / 6 CL

Target is inflicted with a magical open wound that hemorrages constantly if they move. If the target fails it's saving throw it inflicts 3% of their Maximum HP twice a round so long as they are moving. If they succeed the saving throw damage is halved. Damage type is Bleeding.

If the target was moving every single round for the duration they make a Will save at the end. If they fail they are dazed for one round as blood loss makes them light headed.

(For a level 30 Caster this is a maximum of 30% maximum HP on a failed save and 15% maximum HP on a succesful save. Avascular mass does 50% max HP on a failed save and 25% on a succesful save, on top of being a save vs stun in area around the target for enemies, regardless of CL.)

Last edited by Watchful Glare on Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.

Svrtr
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Svrtr » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:21 pm

Kalthariam wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:03 pm

I don't know if this would be really viable, or doable, but since we're suggesting spells here. I figured I'd ask?

I wonder if it's possible to have a summon stream or specific summon that is.. not used as a combatant? Maybe a summon that heals, provides bonuses to people for being alive and nearby them? Maybe a utility summon?

Right now all the summons through conjuration are nothing but combative summons, the only sort of "Summon" that isn't is familars which are often just picked for their ability to get into treasure chests.

It'd be neat to have a summon whom isn't just a pile of HP, AC, AB and AD and an extra warm body.

Technically this exists in the form of the monolith water elemental you can get from elemental meteor that has 10 aoe regen for people standing near it that stacks with other sources of regeneration (excluding other monolith water elementals).

However more other than just Regen or with a lesser effect but greater aoe could be fun but is likely better suited for the suggestion threads

Kalthariam

Post by Kalthariam » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:35 pm

I mean, this is a suggestion thread.. but for spells yes? Feels like it fits here appropriately. :)

In Sorrow We Trust
Contributor
Contributor

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:05 am

Kalthariam wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:35 pm

I mean, this is a suggestion thread.. but for spells yes? Feels like it fits here appropriately. :)

It's a fair idea and one we'll consider, you can be sure.

Vittoria Veleno
catch me if you can

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:51 pm

Warding Wind
2nd-level evocation
Range: Self
Duration: 1 minute

A strong wind blows around you in a medium radius and moves with you, remaining centered on you. The wind lasts for the spell’s duration.

The wind has the following effects:

• It deafens you and other creatures in its area.
  • The area slows the movement speed of anyone in the area except for you
  • All within the wind get 50% concealment against ranged weapons
  • All within the wind have 50% miss chance while using ranged weapons
  • Any cloud effects in the area are removed

Elemental Bane
3rd-level evocation/transmutation
Range: Long
Duration: 10 minutes
Saving Throw: Fortitude

Pick one element (fire, cold, electric, sonic and acid, by -stream). Target creature loses all immunities, damage resistance and damage immunities of the chosen type on a failed fortitude save for the duration. On a successful fort save, immunities, damage resistance and damage immunities are halved for the duration.

Elemental Investiture
6th-level evocation/transmutation
Range: Self
Duration: turns/level
Save: Special

Until the spell ends, you get the following benefits depending on stream (Fire, Water, Air, Earth, Ooze respectively):

• Immune to Fire/Cold/Electric/Sonic/Acid Damage
  • Each round all enemies within medium range take 1d10 Fire/Cold/Electric/Sonic/Acid damage

Additionally each stream has an additional effect:
Fire: Damage is increased to 4d10, halved on successful reflex save
Water: Damage applies a 40% movement speed slow for 1 round, halved on successful fort save
Air: Freedom of movement effect applied to caster
Earth: All enemies subject to reflex save or be dazed for 1 round
Ooze: Affected by Melf's Acid Sheathe effect

All effects removed upon successful spell breach.

Whirlwind
7th level Evocation
Range: Long
Area: Huge
Duration: Rounds/level
Save: Reflex

Each round, all creatures within the area of effect must make a reflex save or be immobilized by the raging winds in the area. Creatures also take 10d6 bludgeoning or half damage on a successful save each round they're in the area. Movement speed is reduced by 50% while in the whirlwind. All within the wind have a 50% concealment against ranged attacks and 50% miss chance with ranged attacks.

All cloud spells are removed, as if Gust of Wind had been cast.

Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Algol

Post by Algol » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:24 pm

Abyssal Rift

Level: Wizard 9, Sorcerer 9, Cleric 9, Evil Domain 8

Duration: Caster Level/2 rounds

Open a rift to the abyss, spewing out 1d3 random demons per round that'll attack anything. (Including the caster)

perseid

Post by perseid » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:18 am

I meant to just stick with my original list but this one just hit me...

Speak with Dead: When cast upon a player corpse the caster may inquire with the body to learn the race, skin color (similar to the deck of stars descriptions), and physical attributes of the one who struck the killing blow.

Captain_Siix
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Captain_Siix » Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:39 am

Greater polymorph self

6th or 7th lvl

Turns/level

Can turn into level appropriate forms.

I always love shape-shifting and always feel like the big gap makes it impossible to have a comfy build with this mechanic until 9th lvl slots with shape change. Alternatively name it elemental polymorph self and you can polymorph into a lesser elemental.

Current PCs:
Vadion
Van

Past NPCs:
Horrik Hellbelch
Cassandra

In Sorrow We Trust
Contributor
Contributor

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:34 am

perseid wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:18 am

I meant to just stick with my original list but this one just hit me...

Speak with Dead: When cast upon a player corpse the caster may inquire with the body to learn the race, skin color (similar to the deck of stars descriptions), and physical attributes of the one who struck the killing blow.

Really like this one. I would make it scale off of Divination or Necromancy. Maybe both.

I've been trying to figure out some more RP focused spells.

Vittoria Veleno
catch me if you can

DM Poppy

Post by DM Poppy » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:55 am

Spell - Grave Rift

The Caster mutilates the land, tearing a minute rift to the Negative Planars. The focus of which is an illusionary or Actual Grave Marker.

From within the rift, 1d4 Undead (Hostile) are spawned each round for a duration of 10 rounds. The Undead CL is the same as the Caster's level.

Maximise Spell - Ensured the maximum roll of Undead each round
Empower Spell - Raises the amount of Undead Spawned to 1d6 each round
Quicken Spell - Casts the spell at 2d4 for a duration of 5 rounds

Additional -
Grave Marker can be destroyed. Closing the rift.
Relevant Focus Feats fortify the Grave Marker.
Only one Grave Marker can exist in an area.

I'm the nice one.. I promise :twisted:

Aren
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aren » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:11 am

Circle of Doom
Spell Level(s): Bard 5, Cleric 5, Cleric(Suffering) 3, Favored Soul 5, Warlock 5
Innate Level: 5
School: Necromancy
Descriptor(s): Negative
Component(s): Verbal, Somatic
Range: Medium (20 meters)
Area of Effect / Target: Huge (6.67 meters radius)
Additional Counter Spells: Healing Circle
Save(s): Fortitude 1/2
Spell Resistance: Yes

Description: When cast, a stationary zone is placed below the caster that harms all creatures within the area of effect each round for a period of three rounds. All enemies within the area of effect are struck with negative energy that causes 1d8 points of negative energy damage, +1 point per caster level. Inflict spells have a reverse effect when used on undead, causing the targeted undead to take an amount of healing equal to what the spell normally damages.

Comment:
Basically make Circle of Doom a negative version of Healing Circle - because as it stands, circle of doom is very underwhelming.

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:26 pm

First 3 go hand in hand.

Remove Curse (and similar spells) modification

Change this to a caster level check or d100 roll to see if it works. If it fails then the target cannot be cured for 1 RL hour (maybe have a flag on the character that is checked). Curses and diseases are slow acting but basically pointless with -pray and removal spells. Personally I'd have -pray work a similar way to give curses/diseases more oomph.

CounterScry+Nightmare

You cast the spell on yourself or another friendly. If anyone scrys upon the target and they're not immune to scry then the diviner will need to make a save vs Nightmare when the scrying finishes.

Detect Curse

Cast on someone else or yourself and lists the curses they're being affected by to the caster.

This setup would give the ones being scryed upon some methods to determine who was spying on them. Could expand curses to other actions that lack some interplay as well.

Clone ( https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/clone.htm )

Requires a Science Tube (could be static locations added in) or something similar in look and either:
A) When you die you go to fugue as per normal with XP loss but when you self resurrect you're teleported to the new bind point without further XP loss
B) You skip fugue and immediately are transferred to the new bind point but still lose the initial XP as if you had died normally

Wouldn't change the rules around death any but would be a nice bit of RP tie-in to coming back from the dead.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:25 pm

xanrael wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:26 pm

Change this to a caster level check or d100 roll to see if it works. If it fails then the target cannot be cured for 1 RL hour (maybe have a flag on the character that is checked). Curses and diseases are slow acting but basically pointless with -pray and removal spells. Personally I'd have -pray work a similar way to give curses/diseases more oomph.

It means that every random mob that tries to curse you has a potential to have you sit down in town for 1 RL hour as if you're waiting off post death penalties. I dislike this idea a lot.

Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:00 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:25 pm
xanrael wrote:

It means that every random mob that tries to curse you has a potential to have you sit down in town for 1 RL hour as if you're waiting off post death penalties. I dislike this idea a lot.

I made the suggestion with the consideration that it would also mean a slightly rougher PvE experience at times. I guess it's just a different playstyle, but I've haven't found the curses thrown about by mobs so debilitating that I had to stop a PvE activity even if I didn't possess the ability to cure them. There is probably some specific exception or two to that which could be looked at if it seemed like a major issue.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:23 pm

xanrael wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:00 pm
AstralUniverse wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:25 pm
xanrael wrote:

I made the suggestion with the consideration that it would also mean a slightly rougher PvE experience at times. I guess it's just a different playstyle, but I've haven't found the curses thrown about by mobs so debilitating that I had to stop a PvE activity even if I didn't possess the ability to cure them. There is probably some specific exception or two to that which could be looked at if it seemed like a major issue.

Sounds fun to me.

Kalthariam

Post by Kalthariam » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:31 pm

I don't really see a reason in making your standard PvE content more difficult, it can already be annoying and difficult enough as it is. Especially not with the idea of just.. "Congratulations, you rolled a 1, you no longer get to play for an hour." style stuff is just.. not fun? At all?

If you want a difficult PvE experience, there are ways you can do it, I don't really like the idea of forcing it on everyone else though.

Yeah sure, some classes have an easier PvE experience then others, other classes also have absolutely dreadful unfun leveling and pve experiences..? Don't think we should make everything hard because some classes are better than others.