Hold guard responsible for cheating for their settlement.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

UilliamNebel

Hold guard responsible for cheating for their settlement.

Post by UilliamNebel » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:44 pm

If a character is NOT on an exile board, and not costing the settlement, it is cheating to use IC guard authority to force them from a settlement as far as I am concerned and a growing meta cheat game being done and carried out by the settlement.

Scurvy Cur

Re: Hold guard responsible for cheating for their settlement.

Post by Scurvy Cur » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:54 pm

What a strange take. But I'll engage regardless.

Strongly disagree, assuming that I'm parsing the original post correctly.

A mechanical exile represents having NPC guards turn someone away at the gates, but it is not the only way of a settlement enforcing their wishes regarding your presence. It is not the only way for a settlement to express displeasure with a character, however.

It is not cheating (though it is perhaps an IC abuse of power, which is totally fine) for a PC guard to tell a character to "gtfo before I beat your Snuggybear". In a way, we should be encouraging this over mechanical exile, since it allows people to continue engagement with a settlement after being punished, and I know I personally try to reserve mechanical exiles for characters that look like their continued engagement is going to involve a bunch of pvp with weaker characters when I'm not around to step in.

UilliamNebel

Post by UilliamNebel » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:00 pm

Nevermind, already know, will get in the 'my character's perspective' weeds here. There is no longer a point to alignment, laws, and a lot of other IC structure on Arelith anymore.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:06 pm

Scurvy couldn't have said it better.

The fact that this takes a weird turn to "cheating" makes me think this is about far more than you're really letting on.

So, this is locked.

Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice