Open Lock Skill Revisited

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

AstralUniverse

Re: Open Lock Skill Revisited

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:37 pm

Xerah wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:23 pm

So strange. Normally, tedium is removed (I.e. if this is possible, just give the max roll) not encouraged.

You're probably making a bigger deal out of it than it is.
You spend time switching items and clicking the merchant and again and again, and sometimes your first roll was actually pretty high but you didnt know about it so you rerolled anyway and spent the next one minute just trying to get the same (or better) roll as the first one. Most people who swap items normally just roll a few times until they reach some roll that 'feels' high for their appraise score and call it a day. Not as exploitive as one might think, and you can visibly see the character in game talking to the merchant again and again.

Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:02 pm

I'm not making a big deal out of it; this is exactly the sort of thing that is needlessly tedious and usually fixed one way or another.

Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

God_In_Action

Post by God_In_Action » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:04 pm

Xerah wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:02 pm

I'm not making a big deal out of it; this is exactly the sort of thing that is needlessly tedious and usually fixed one way or another.

Exactly right. Imagine how tedious it would be if you made a random roll rather than taking 20 whenever you tried to open a lock.

Another poster commented how widely this thread has varied, but to be fair the various points are related. Pixies relate to what rogues can do with chests, and what rogues and pixies can do chests is related to the in game economy. It's not necessarily a good thing to discuss linked issues in isolation.

Pixies make it possible for some mage classes to freely open chests (and some doors) that other classes have to invest skill points for. It feels bad for unlocking players to be equalled by a mere familiar.

I say this as a pixie user, simply because the other familiars aren't half as useful. So it would be nice for familiars across the board to have a range of uses which don't impinge on other character niches.