Luck Domain Power?

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

HoarIsOne

Luck Domain Power?

Post by HoarIsOne » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:10 am

I am writing this in hopes that the cleric luck domain power could possibly grant wild magic temporary boons, or perhaps something related to the randomness effect as per the description. The current domain power of the luck domain does nothing.
It would be very cool to see clerics having wild magic affinity similar to warlocks and others.

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Luck Domain Power?

Post by Kenji » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:25 am

I thought about asking the mods to redirect this thread to Suggestion Box but it could use some other suggestions with some discussions.

The current plan in my mind is to allow either Luck or Chaos domain to have Improved Chaos Shield at a fraction of the duration as domain power, activation without action.

Or Luck can probably just use its domain power as a 2nd Pray button or something is also the other choice. Similar to 5E's "Lucky" feat, but guaranteed results instead of "advantage".

silverpheonix

Post by silverpheonix » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:26 pm

Once per reset you get to reroll a hard 5% enchanting failure.

Clayton on the Discord.

Lilith Vensurai: [Whisper] Dib's in charge of not exploding reality.
Johnathan Rigsby: [Whisper] This is unfair.

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Quidix » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:33 am

Good hope would be a good fit for a spell as well?

hugolino

Post by hugolino » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:07 pm

HoarIsOne wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:10 am

I am writing this in hopes that the cleric luck domain power could possibly grant wild magic temporary boons, or perhaps something related to the randomness effect as per the description. ... It would be very cool to see clerics having wild magic affinity similar to warlocks and others.

Honestly Wild Magic seems more suitable for the Chaos domain than Luck. The 5th Edition playbook says, in part, regarding the wild magic sorcerer: "Your innate magic comes from the wild forces of chaos that underlie the order of creation. .... However it came to be, this chaotic magic churns within you, waiting for any outlet."

hugolino

Post by hugolino » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:48 am

Kenji wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:25 am

The current plan in my mind is to allow either Luck or Chaos domain to have Improved Chaos Shield at a fraction of the duration as domain power, activation without action.

Chaos Shield would be fitting for the Chaos or Luck domains, though the name is explicitly associated with chaos. I think I prefer it for Luck domain offhand, because Chaos domain already has symmetry with Law.

Kenji wrote:

Or Luck can probably just use its domain power as a 2nd Pray button or something is also the other choice. Similar to 5E's "Lucky" feat, but guaranteed results instead of "advantage".

That would work, and I wouldn't have thought of that as a domain power. I would honestly need more time to think to even propose an alternative. I will consider it.

hugolino

Post by hugolino » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:32 pm

Kenji wrote:

Would the Luck domain's power consume Piety like the normal -pray option? If so, losing Piety to use a domain power would seem strange, but a cooldown or some such mechanism might be an alternate way to prevent spamming. It does sound like a potentially cool domain power. Or am I misunderstanding your idea?

A less cool idea would be to crib "Dark One's Own Luck" from Neverwinter Nights 2, though that is just nearly the same thing as a Paladin's "Divine Grace" feat. Stealing unique abilities from other classes is not ideal as it makes those abilities less unique and cool, so I share the idea only in the spirit of brainstorming.

Since "luck" in tabletop D&D 3.5 mainly seems to involve second chances, counters, or effects that let you skew randomness in your favor or against others, another option might be an extra chance to trigger a deity benefit, such as a god raise. But I don't know if that would be satisfying for players even if it is possible in NWN1, because players would never have a clear idea how much their domain power is helping them or not. So that is another unconvincing idea.

Even so, maybe these brainstorming ideas will inspire a better idea than my own. :D