Suggestion: Rituals should give feedback on what they did

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Luingar

Suggestion: Rituals should give feedback on what they did

Post by Luingar » Mon May 22, 2023 10:27 am

I understand rituals are meant to be rather obscure and hard to gather information about, but we are legendary tier adventurers over here, experienced in identifying magics in stressful and hostile environment. We should be able to know what these rituals do.

Now, personally, I feel like you should have a full on spell description for each ritual. If you know how to work the thing, you should know what it does, at least roughly.

That said, what would make a LOT of sense, but still maintain the mystery of rituals is if the effects of the ritual you just performed were explicitly revealed to you, whether it were nothing or whatnot. I mean any mage that's doing this sort of ritual should have the spells to analyze the results, so it's not like there's a lore reason not to.

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Suggestion: Rituals should give feedback on what they did

Post by Eira » Mon May 22, 2023 3:33 pm

Please post suggestions in the suggestion forum.

Feedback: Something proposed or brought up for discussion by the player community.

Suggestion: Something proposed directly to devs with hopes of implementation.

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Mon May 22, 2023 7:11 pm

Eira wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 3:33 pm

Please post suggestions in the suggestion forum.

Feedback: Something proposed or brought up for discussion by the player community.

Suggestion: Something proposed directly to devs with hopes of implementation.

I think that could be taken as feedback too, as there are multiple ways rituals could be made less opaque and anything to that end would be welcome. From what I gather a lot of players just gave up on trying to figure them out.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Tue May 23, 2023 9:44 pm

It would be nice. Because getting a report of a successful ritual but not seeing, hearing or feeling any effect, is a bit annoying. Why even report that it was successful then...

Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rei_Jin » Wed May 24, 2023 10:06 am

It would also be appropriate if one walked into an area that was under the effects of a ritual if they then made a spellcraft and lore check, and if they pass the checks to get information about the effects in the area and the name of the ritual in effect, and expected duration, what would reverse the effects, etc.
These could be set at different DCs, and some of them can be locked behind class/race requirements, or those could lower or increase DCs