RE: Reporting problematic behaviour (Pickpocketing edition)

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Vylarah

RE: Reporting problematic behaviour (Pickpocketing edition)

Post by Vylarah » Tue May 30, 2023 9:33 am

As Per DM Vivec's post here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=42313

The problem people have, when it comes to reporting pickpocketing, is that you don't know WHO pickpocketed you, unless you have really high spot. Not to mention they can also pickpocket you from stealth, meaning that they don't need to interact beforehand, to 'PvP' steal someone's coin. And lately, I have noticed an uptick on pickpockets around the place, as I've been stolen from multiple times in the last week, much to my character's Chagrin.

Given that reports require you to know the name of the character, or person's login name, in order to put forward a report, while I certainly agree reporting is the best thing to do... if you don't know the name, you can't.

Current Character: Artemis Baatori
Current Alt: ???

miesny_jez

Re: RE: Reporting problematic behaviour (Pickpocketing edition)

Post by miesny_jez » Tue May 30, 2023 9:43 am

i thought if you (as a character) try to pickpocket from the same character within the span of 24h you would be blocked from that mechanically?

I don't know if it work - i didn't check it, but i guess i will (playing a pickpocketer right now so can try it, though rarely targeting players so far myself)

Maybe You are just lucky enough to be considered as a "Mark" for a number of pickpocketers and need to resolve it through RP options from Your side? (aka hire guards/seek vengeance/protection etc etc)

And before You ask.. Yep I was pickpocketed myself as well :)

magistrasa

Post by magistrasa » Tue May 30, 2023 10:28 am

Vylarah wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 9:33 am

Given that reports require you to know the name of the character, or person's login name, in order to put forward a report, while I certainly agree reporting is the best thing to do... if you don't know the name, you can't.

I'm pretty sure this isn't actually true? I always understood that if you just give a time and place, you can still make a report even if you're missing the name. You just need to give as much information as you have and the DMs will handle the rest.

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Eira » Tue May 30, 2023 11:20 am

DMs absolutely can check the logs and find out even if you do not know the player or character. Always report with what information you do know.

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

DM Poppy

Post by DM Poppy » Tue May 30, 2023 2:38 pm

I am curious. What rule break are you going to be reporting them of?

Pickpocketing is permissible and you can only do it once against a PC each day, this is mechanically enforced.

Running away is permissible as you are not obligated to stop and endure hostile RP, you can run away. But expect to be chased.

I'm the nice one.. I promise :twisted:

Helsing

Post by Helsing » Tue May 30, 2023 4:14 pm

I have someone who:

Failed his pick pocket on first attempt on me then I warned him to don’t do it again. He stayed back but after a few minutes he’s back and try to steal from me again.

And he attempted twice, first blocked by blade orb and he quickly did again and finally stolen gold from me.

Then he just HIPS away… no spot/listen just sucks in this case lol.

Hazard wrote: Doing that on a non-mundane requires constant stops to rest, chugging alcohol whenever your spells start wearing off/get dispelled, and with casters, you're going to get through that dungeon once in the time a 25/5 can get through it 10+ times.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Tue May 30, 2023 4:31 pm

Helsing wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 4:14 pm

I have someone who:

Failed his pick pocket on first attempt on me then I warned him to don’t do it again. He stayed back but after a few minutes he’s back and try to steal from me again.

And he attempted twice, first blocked by blade orb and he quickly did again and finally stolen gold from me.

That sounds like a bug to me. Pickpocket attempts - whether they succeed or not - can only be done once per day.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Tue May 30, 2023 4:34 pm

Don't think there is any rule break going on. mostly because stealing with zero interaction isn't against the rules.
But it is the most boring unfun style of play, so saying it's on the victim to make something of this really lame action is rather crass.
Bandits are expected to role play with there victims, murderers, cultists, even assassins' etc. So why do pick pockets get a free ride to steal from players with zero RP?

UilliamNebel

Post by UilliamNebel » Tue May 30, 2023 4:43 pm

My issue is the use of in map transitions to do it. Like in the Southaven Monastery going over the bridge, and then out the door. Would suggest trying it. The issue is it seems the server tiks and the transitions are such a way you'll get laggy spot check and notices to where from being pick pocketed on one side of the bridge, you'll be across it, out the door and walking to the transition to the Fortress City before you get the notification. And I am sure other soft transitions like doorways have been scoped out for this.

Helsing

Post by Helsing » Tue May 30, 2023 5:19 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 4:31 pm
Helsing wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 4:14 pm

I have someone who:

That sounds like a bug to me. Pickpocket attempts - whether they succeed or not - can only be done once per day.

Really? I shall report a bug then.

Hazard wrote: Doing that on a non-mundane requires constant stops to rest, chugging alcohol whenever your spells start wearing off/get dispelled, and with casters, you're going to get through that dungeon once in the time a 25/5 can get through it 10+ times.

Morgy
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Morgy » Tue May 30, 2023 5:27 pm

I thought only a successful pickpocket activated the timer. If they didn't get anything, it doesn't count as stealing.. Same as if you don't die in pvp, you don't have to do the 48 hour timer.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue May 30, 2023 5:38 pm

What I want to know is how tf a pickpocket is stealing gold from someone's bank account by dipping a hand into someone's pocket.

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Tue May 30, 2023 5:51 pm

Hazard wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 5:38 pm

What I want to know is how tf a pickpocket is stealing gold from someone's bank account by dipping a hand into someone's pocket.

It's a tradeoff for them not being able to steal your pure zardink chunk, or your gem of awesomeness, or whatever.

So, this is the new cycle conversation, huh? Every few months it comes up as if losing 2k gold is a tragedy?

Right off the bat, I am going to call bullshit on the whole "But it's no RP!", because you guys don't want to rp, you want to punish the pick pocket with instant death. If you really wanted to make it an RP thing, you would spend time making sure the guards or whatever were excellent spotters and setting up traps for pick pockets and stuff. There's your rp. But instead, you focus on some dood getting 2k of your gold, when you are more than willing to throw thousands of free gear value at new characters more often than not.

I've never played a pick pocket, but every time this conversation comes up I start to think about how I want to someday. Maybe I have an inner troll that I am unaware of, but all these salty tears over 2k gold here and there really, really makes me want to get in on the action :)

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue May 30, 2023 5:53 pm

Babylon System is the Vampire wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 5:51 pm
Hazard wrote:

It's a tradeoff for them not being able to steal your pure zardink chunk, or your gem of awesomeness, or whatever.

So, this is the new cycle conversation, huh? Every few months it comes up as if losing 2k gold is a tragedy?

Right off the bat, I am going to call bullshit on the whole "But it's no RP!", because you guys don't want to rp, you want to punish the pick pocket with instant death. If you really wanted to make it an RP thing, you would spend time making sure the guards or whatever were excellent spotters and setting up traps for pick pockets and stuff. There's your rp. But instead, you focus on some dood getting 2k of your gold, when you are more than willing to throw thousands of free gear value at new characters more often than not.

I've never played a pick pocket, but every time this conversation comes up I start to think about how I want to someday. Maybe I have an inner troll that I am unaware of, but all these salty tears over 2k gold here and there really, really makes me want to get in on the action :)

I dunno if it's the fact I was quoted in the response that makes me think this, but I feel like that was directed at me.

I uh, don't care if someone steals 2k gold, and I don't currently have any characters that would care, let alone take a life over it. Nor have I ever twinked out new characters, for anyone.

UilliamNebel

Post by UilliamNebel » Tue May 30, 2023 7:03 pm

Maybe I have an inner troll that I am unaware of, but all these salty tears over 2k gold here and there really, really makes me want to get in on the action :)

Yes, you do, and you are entirely aware of it.

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Tue May 30, 2023 7:29 pm

Hazard wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 5:53 pm
Hazard wrote:

I dunno if it's the fact I was quoted in the response that makes me think this, but I feel like that was directed at me.

I uh, don't care if someone steals 2k gold, and I don't currently have any characters that would care, let alone take a life over it. Nor have I ever twinked out new characters, for anyone.

The only part that was directed at you was the first line, since it was a direct response to what you are saying. None of this shit is personal lol, it's just an opinion.

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Tue May 30, 2023 7:36 pm

UilliamNebel wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 7:03 pm

Maybe I have an inner troll that I am unaware of, but all these salty tears over 2k gold here and there really, really makes me want to get in on the action :)

Yes, you do, and you are entirely aware of it.

You can call me a lot of things and probably be spot on. Arrogant, opinionated, hyperbolic and even dramatic at times with the way I write. Or you could just simplify it and call me an Snuggybear. But a troll is someone who says stuff to get a reaction, at least by its original definition, and that's really not me.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Tue May 30, 2023 8:14 pm

Right off the bat, I am going to call bullshit on the whole "But it's no RP!", because you guys don't want to rp, you want to punish the pick pocket with instant death.

Not at all where i was coming from, i like PP role play i don't mind getting robbed if the thief did the bare minimum of emoting bumping into my character and saying sorry or demanding i watch where im going while picking my pocket and walking away free and clear.

Never dropping stealth on the other hand and never even engaging with your victim beyond clicking on them is poor, and if it was done in any other PvP action would be a huge no no.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue May 30, 2023 8:22 pm

Tue May 30, 2023 7:29 pm
Hazard wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 5:53 pm

The only part that was directed at you was the first line, since it was a direct response to what you are saying. None of this shit is personal lol, it's just an opinion.

Oh, alright. Fair enough.

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Tue May 30, 2023 8:59 pm

chris a gogo wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 8:14 pm

Right off the bat, I am going to call bullshit on the whole "But it's no RP!", because you guys don't want to rp, you want to punish the pick pocket with instant death.

Not at all where i was coming from, i like PP role play i don't mind getting robbed if the thief did the bare minimum of emoting bumping into my character and saying sorry or demanding i watch where im going while picking my pocket and walking away free and clear.

Never dropping stealth on the other hand and never even engaging with your victim beyond clicking on them is poor, and if it was done in any other PvP action would be a huge no no.

I get where you are coming from, and if I ever get around to playing a pick pocket, I would likely do it without stealth at all just because I enjoy the challenge. But given the hostile reaction on the forums, even if it never plays out in game that way, I can understand why folks who are playing pick pockets feel like if they get caught it's just insta-death and therefore do everything they can to not get caught for as long as possible, including stealth pick pocketing. It really does feel like some folks take it very personal as if it happened to them and not some cyber bits they are controlling.

That being said, I am not a huge fan of the rp before pvp anyways, so that's not going to sell me. It's not that I don't get where its coming from, I just think it creates more of an exploitable mess than having to be prepared for a potential stealth gank in a dangerous area ever could.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Tue May 30, 2023 9:54 pm

I think the thread has run it’s course.

If you’ve concern about a PP incident, please report it.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.