Observations on surface "Good" vs Evil "roleplaying" (Moved to "squashing the OOC beef" leave the salt here)

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

D4wN

Re: Observations on surface "Good" vs Evil "roleplaying"

Post by D4wN » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:47 pm

MRFTW wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:55 pm
D4wN wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:28 pm

Sure, you should be accommodating a little and where it could make sense bend your character a little to facilitate RP and let stories develop, but I have seen so many blatantly evil people who then play the victim card it's frankly really sad. If I'm a Paladin and come across a vampire or animator with Undead out and let them go? You're not RPing your alignment. Simple as that.

I see this a lot too. I wonder if it's OOC bleed because the player in question felt victimised, instead of their character.

I've come to learn that a lot of people in this game cannot distinguish between the two. And this thread is a good example of that. I myself have played 4 -very- different characters so far from a hyper active everyone loving Halfling to a kind and forgiving Priestess, to a major villain to now Thomas. I am none of these people and they are none of me, but I have always been willing to accept losses and accept the consequences of my actions and decisions ICly on every character I play. If I went out and raised Undead on my villain or walk around the surface with a Demon, I would absolutely expect the first Paladin I see to go berserk at me. I'd be disappointed if they didn't. If you do such stuff knowing the kind of setting and server you're playing on, then you are deliberately seeking conflict with your character. So then don't go complaining when it actually comes for you and you might lose.

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled

Quizmar

Post by Quizmar » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:04 pm

D4wN wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:35 pm
MarkRed wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:21 pm
D4wN wrote:

If I'm a Paladin and come across a vampire or animator with Undead out and let them go? You're not RPing your alignment. Simple as that.

This is the most obvious case that I don't feel like anyone disagrees on. There is no nuance to a situation like this, just black and white. Regardless the matters of playing to your alignment, especially Paladins, is an entirely different can of worms that almost always turns a thread sour beyond belief.

I agree. But this thread already turned into that when OP specifically called out Cordorians and Radiant Heart people.

Hello everyone, I didn't make this to OOC attack anyone or cause a shitstorm. I have experienced a bit of PVP cheese, and unsatisfying good vs evil RP. The reason I made this thread is to address the many stories I've heard from people, both IC and OOC, about feeling victimized and valid-hunted. I'm not saying that paladins should ignore animators walking in broad daylight, but there's a balance and it feels like playing fight-happy-lawful-stupid is both intrinsically rewarding, and encouraged by the RP currents. There are even IC good aligned characters that have been abused in the same way.
I just wonder how often the good side actually calls out certain individuals for acting overzealous, I'd be willing to bet that's a rare occurrence. It's just interesting that a surface dweller can go to Andunor, and mostly likely be treated better than a Drow in Cordor, that is to say, maybe told to leave, but mostly likely murdered instantly.
Additionally, there are a number of guards in Cordor which make it quite easy to dislike the guards, and it's not nice being abused by guards and nobility knowing that little/nothing would happen to them as a result, even if they are in the wrong.
It just feels like its so hard to develop interesting plot lines and intrigue when these factions are so willing to smite people with limited cause, such as speaking the wrong language in the town.
My main point is that it feels like there's a loss of good faith among the players, and a strong desire among certain individuals to fight and win, at the expense of narrative and story development.
There's a balance to be had somewhere, although I don't know what that looks like practically speaking.
In Space Station 13, there's a precedent among security players to not be overzealous, and to let plotlines develop into something interesting, instead of immediately arresting everyone involved

DM MoonMoon
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM MoonMoon » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:07 pm

Hin_Justice wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:55 pm

I just learned a few nights ago, that Silk's real name, is now out in the ether... And I can take a guess how/why, but even though that method works most of the time, I took great measures not to interact with Cordor too much because of the Examine spams and TS pops... No one should have her real name beyond a select few, because -ward and True Sight was active when she revealed that name.

And we - the guild I'm in - we ALL know this was a metagame. Reporting it to DMs rarely gets the results, because... well... you can't stop the meta train once you're on it.

DMs have said it before, to not use Examine and TS too much when you see a "Fake Name". Because if there's no RP done, no one should suspect/try to look beyond the name. You're acting on an OOC mechanic - which is the very definition of Metagaming. It is not just being meta, but you're ruining someone else's gameplay by not being nice.

And if you've never interacted with someone, you can't know the name on a shop/door belongs to X disguise. You have to actually do the RP work here to catch your bad guy, people. How do you know X is actually Y? There has to be several females in and out their room/home. How are you 100% sure the name plate matches the identity? So yeah... I was metaed. I'll likely roll with it though.

I'm not the only one forced on this meta train, within my faction though. Something most egregious happened very recently where good guys wanting to win, used OOC mechanic knowledge to try to out a guild member's disguise. Seen the logs myself. It's ugly. RP no where suggested anything funny was going on. So this behavior does need to be talked about in general, I agree.

Team Evil exists to provide RP entertainment. Add new story threads. Enrich and give new conversations. We are not here to have people try to auto-win a RP against us with meta because they want to jump straight to PvP. Nor are were here only for PvP. The meta used to jump to PvP has gotten out of hand, I agree. But the fact Team Good from certain settlements and/or factions seem ONLY to want to PvP with us? That's also really telling. Because... We're a RP server. That should be the first desire, not PvP.

Hi Hin_Justice,

If you believe that metagaming has occurred, you should report it to us. It is this kind of attitude I have seen of "The DMs never do anything so I wont report it" that leads to it not being resolved, because its not reported!
I would also like to point out that True Seeing and other abilities like Clairvoyance do not add anything to revealing disguises.

Also before we get into team good/evil is not respecting the other, its actually both sides who need to work on this, and is also not as binary! This is indeed an RP server and I can only hope players become more amicable with each other, it saddens me to constantly hear the "Its THEM who are not letting us play" instead of "How can WE all work together?"

On a side note, its actually funny how often I see that its an internal source who outs the faction in some other RP, whilst the group then goes on an OOC witch hunt against another faction.

DM Wraith: @DM MoonMoon Nice one, Idk howl you do it, it does seem a bit furfetched

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:09 am

It feels like this thread is starting to turn personal from several posts I have read now and is leaning toward needing to be locked.

Let's just all agree no one side is perfect, Cordor makes as many mistakes as Andunor, and we can all work to improve ourselves as we have no control over our fellow players.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:42 am

Edens_Fall wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:09 am

It feels like this thread is starting to turn personal from several posts I have read now and is leaning toward needing to be locked.

Let's just all agree no one side is perfect, Cordor makes as many mistakes as Andunor, and we can all work to improve ourselves as we have no control over our fellow players.

Mods plz help. We need a safe space. The bad man said mean things on my pretend elf game forum.

Can we just choose to post our opinions, lurk the forums or avoid the thread without an appeal to authority?

Ad Astra

Post by Ad Astra » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:24 am

Waldo52 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:42 am
Edens_Fall wrote:

Mods plz help. We need a safe space. The bad man said mean things on my pretend elf game forum.

Can we just choose to post our opinions, lurk the forums or avoid the thread without an appeal to authority?

LMAO? What even is this? You need to go sit in a corner and think about what you just posted.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:36 am

Ad Astra wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:24 am
Waldo52 wrote:
Edens_Fall wrote:

LMAO? What even is this? You need to go sit in a corner and think about what you just posted.

No! Ur mean! Halp! 😢

Quizmar

Post by Quizmar » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:04 am

DM MoonMoon wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:07 pm

Also before we get into team good/evil is not respecting the other, its actually both sides who need to work on this, and is also not as binary! This is indeed an RP server and I can only hope players become more amicable with each other, it saddens me to constantly hear the "Its THEM who are not letting us play" instead of "How can WE all work together?"

On a side note, its actually funny how often I see that its an internal source who outs the faction in some other RP, whilst the group then goes on an OOC witch hunt against another faction.

I like what you write here, I think certain players are gonna be antagonistic/problematic no matter which side. . As I said in the original post I'm not here to out this faction or that faction, just share my observations and feelings about the state of things. More evil players than just Hin_Justice feel burned out , and somewhat cheated against in line with the issues I've raised.
I don't know if this is something admins are able/willing to do, but I think it would be a good idea to get some faction leaders and DMs into a discord call to discuss some of the OOC issues, and air grievances.
Some players in team evil feel personally targeted by DMs, and feel like DMs show favoritism towards certain factions and players. I would really like to see a meeting to square this all away.

98lbs of sad carryweight wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:27 am

These threads always read a little weird to me. I played a surface necromancer with a skull helmet and the gang didn't even get thrown out of a Wedding in the Radiant Heart, this isn't unique to me though and a lot of people get by fine being evil and without the backing of "Big Clique".

I am sure negative experiences exist, that is both possible and likely but very often I look at whatever funny characters people roll up and most of the time its just a very direct consequence of your actions and choices.

Also, vague posting is really lame and double so if people just pat each other on the back going "Yea, the people who we shall never name sure suck!". It usually also does not help if people make very witty board posts that seem super clever but all it does make people notice your name and associate it with that. My obvious revenge is vague posting now.

I also want to add that Forgotten Realms is a very violent and hostile setting. There are just things that are meant to fight each other. Happens a lot, so characters emulate that.
Cordor cant even throw you out for being a warlock I think.

So whats the ideal situation? Because thats never really said. If I am a Paladin and you got undead out, you will probably get hit by a sword, I am not even sure if they could act differently without breaking the setting?

Algol wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:51 am

I don't mean to sound too cynical or something but...

How do you know your characters real name has not been betrayed by someone without metagaming? I think it's best to assume the best about people OOCly, and think something has gone wrong IC rather than OOC foul play.

This is also the only sane approach. Just assume people are good players and not literally out to get you and ruin your day, even if that is true.

I agree my tone is vagueposting and I admit I was a little pressed when I wrote it. I'm trying now to steer the thread in a different direction.

Subtext

Post by Subtext » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:08 am

D4wN wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:47 pm

I've come to learn that a lot of people in this game cannot distinguish between the two. And this thread is a good example of that. I myself have played 4 -very- different characters so far from a hyper active everyone loving Halfling to a kind and forgiving Priestess, to a major villain to now Thomas. I am none of these people and they are none of me, but I have always been willing to accept losses and accept the consequences of my actions and decisions ICly on every character I play. If I went out and raised Undead on my villain or walk around the surface with a Demon, I would absolutely expect the first Paladin I see to go berserk at me. I'd be disappointed if they didn't. If you do such stuff knowing the kind of setting and server you're playing on, then you are deliberately seeking conflict with your character. So then don't go complaining when it actually comes for you and you might lose.

You are citing fairly blatant examples here and I wouldn't say that the obvious moustache-twirling comic book evil here is the issue in the first place.

There is an issue with self-proclaimed good guys definitely not acting their alignment when it's convenient. One of my favourite scenes there was a blackguard reminding a paladin not to murder someone in the streets before they've actually been sentenced for their misdeeds.
Another was a lawful evil character reminding the goodly folks to "not take more lives than they are going to save".

Much less amusing was the kind of IC shit flying my way as well as my Discord blowing up as well as getting accosted in a voice chat over trying to set some boundaries when it came to a self proclaimed good guy group going haywire. There was some pretty evil stuff going on but people were ultra convinced about being right.

Finally, something people easily seem to forget is that by brutally shutting down all kinds of RP avenues, you're making the server the opposite of an inclusive place. And again, that doesn't mean inviting Donny Diabolist for tea and crumpets. But it might mean having a bit of patience with less overt people or those who - gasp - allow their character to make mistakes.

And here's the thing. I personally have very little faith in nuance on the server as a consequence and it makes plenty of more grey area character concepts unfeasible or uninteresting to play...at least given the very common zealot mindset.

Perhaps everyone ought to ask themselves if that is really desirable.
And perhaps people should also be a bit friendlier to each other in a forum.

MarkRed

Post by MarkRed » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:32 am

Subtext wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:08 am

There is an issue with self-proclaimed good guys definitely not acting their alignment when it's convenient. One of my favourite scenes there was a blackguard reminding a paladin not to murder someone in the streets before they've actually been sentenced for their misdeeds.

And here's the thing. I personally have very little faith in nuance on the server as a consequence and it makes plenty of more grey area character concepts unfeasible or uninteresting to play...at least given the very common zealot mindset.

These point right here are too true, having experienced this as a Paladin, Slave, Drow and a Neutral party. I still stand by the fact that almost every single Paladin and Cleric on Arelith should have their divine levels lost for how they act.

Far too many times have I seen Paladins idle and do nothing as they witness atrocities being commit, and then try and pull the moral high ground card 5 seconds later as if they didn't just witness a level 5 get murdered in the street for having his pixie familiar out.

I was told once that this isn't a story book and one can't expect a paladin to jump into harm's way for every issue, but that is exactly what a Paladin is supposed to do as a bastion of good and the protector of innocents, to be selfless. But I feel very very few here on Arelith are with the exception of during DM events.

Table&Chair Brick Wall | RedKnight Quartermaster | World's friendliest Tormite | Average Book Enjoyer Luskan | Stutter Elf Archer | Pie Goddess' #1 Fan | Best Slave Luskan | Deadpanned Luskan |

Communication, the only thing that matters.

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:55 am

D4wN wrote:

Basically everything that is said in this post and quoted. People are quick to jump to metagaming accusations when they do not care to admit that maybe they made a mistake or maybe a person they trust betrayed them. And the fact of the matter is that this is a RP server and you are playing your class and alignment. Sure, you should be accommodating a little and where it could make sense bend your character a little to facilitate RP and let stories develop, but I have seen so many blatantly evil people who then play the victim card it's frankly really sad. If I'm a Paladin and come across a vampire or animator with Undead out and let them go? You're not RPing your alignment. Simple as that.

people are super treacherous. can't trust anyone not to be a snitch sometimes

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:26 am

Quizmar wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:04 pm

Hello everyone, I didn't make this to OOC attack anyone or cause a shitstorm.

It tends to do that the moment you start calling out specific player groups. Which, other than yourself, happened a few times throughout this thread targeting Cordor and RH players.

Quizmar wrote:

I just wonder how often the good side actually calls out certain individuals for acting overzealous, I'd be willing to bet that's a rare occurrence.

It's not rare at all and people do it all the time. You even get called overzealous because your good aligned character doesn't give any quarter to animators or people wandering around with devils or demons. Ultimately this is subjective and people have different ideas on what's overzealous or not.

Quizmar wrote:

It's just interesting that a surface dweller can go to Andunor, and mostly likely be treated better than a Drow in Cordor, that is to say, maybe told to leave, but mostly likely murdered instantly.

This entirely depends on what groups are active in the Underdark. There was a time Surfacers were chased out of Andunor and not welcomed at all and often killed when discovered. They are treated better because people in Andunor don't want to be mean to people. This isn't a good thing mind you. It's setting breaking to see so many wholesome monsters and other evils be so nice to elves, halflings, dwarves and other surfacer races who come to visit Andunor. But unfortunately there aren't really any rules about surfacers being in Andunor. On the flip side however, there are very clear rules on Drow or other Monsters coming into a Surface settlement (as per the wiki) and this will even be enforced by DMs with continued surface presence by UDers who are not outcasts or slaves.

Quizmar wrote:

Additionally, there are a number of guards in Cordor which make it quite easy to dislike the guards, and it's not nice being abused by guards and nobility knowing that little/nothing would happen to them as a result, even if they are in the wrong.

You say you didn't mean to make this an OOC attack on anyone, yet continue to call out the Cordor Guards. The Cordor Guard have been disliked by baddies and criminals as long as I can remember because these are the people who enforce the IC laws and tell people they did a bad thing and punish them for it when they are found out. And people don't like to be told what they can or can't do by other players. I've had people over the time I've played in Cordor chew my character out because he punished them for murdering another player in the street or hate my character (or me) for prosecuting them for slandering and provoking another character as they go around calling them names etc. And yes, the Guard simply have a level of authority ICly to do this. A Guard will not "abuse" you if you are a law abiding citizen and cooperate. There are plenty of people who can validate that they have a great relationship with the Guards.

Quizmar wrote:

It just feels like its so hard to develop interesting plot lines and intrigue when these factions are so willing to smite people with limited cause, such as speaking the wrong language in the town. In Space Station 13, there's a precedent among security players to not be overzealous, and to let plotlines develop into something interesting, instead of immediately arresting everyone involved

People aren't attacked or smacked down for talking any language in the city, although people might definitely treat you with suspicion if you start talking Abyssal or Infernal in Cordor and if you continue to do it, you might get more of a heated reaction to it. I remember a time people used to get threatened even for speaking Draconic and it was dumb.

There are plenty of evil groups and individuals who have and are still "allowed" to develop their plot lines in Cordor and with the Radiant Heart and I know plenty of examples of people giving them that room and people bending their character providing openings and opportunities for baddies to make an impact. We've had so many examples as well with brand new players who didn't know the setting and decided to raise the dead, who we let off the hook and told them to go gather some coal and change their life around. And many more other examples of where Cordor has been flexible and forgiving towards other players.

Quizmar wrote:

My main point is that it feels like there's a loss of good faith among the players, and a strong desire among certain individuals to fight and win, at the expense of narrative and story development. There's a balance to be had somewhere, although I don't know what that looks like practically speaking.

I absolutely agree there are individual players who are too quick to jump to PVP as a means of conflict escalation and resolution. This doesn't just go for some Guards or some Paladins. This happens all over the server including in Andunor where people threaten you or kill you over tiny little things including having an innocent opinion about something. If you feel someone is breaking rules, including the 'be-nice' rule, then talk to a DM.

I'd do some self reflection on what you were trying to achieve with this thread as it's definitely targeted when you keep bringing up Cordor even if you say it's not.

Currently playing:

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Emma Young - Rolled

DM MoonMoon
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM MoonMoon » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:13 am

Quizmar wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:04 am

Some players in team evil feel personally targeted by DMs, and feel like DMs show favoritism towards certain factions and players. I would really like to see a meeting to square this all away.

The team try their best to remain fair across the playerbase, but obviously being biased is human, so anything directly related to a dm or their circle of influence is always passed to another dm. Players should not feel they are being targetted because they really arnt.
Now I can understand this feeling arising especially from team evil because!

• We try to not influence player activities or actions, thats why it can be difficult to decide on how to involve ourselves in player event requests
  • If there was a rule breach, no matter what we do, both sides think we are helping the other side!
  • Being evil usually means a change in the status quo, a thing that affects the server, and usually means there needs to be a reason to "keep balance" for the server lore. Since surface is 'generally' good aligned or lawfully aligned, this may come across as "why does team good always have to win"

So my recommendation if anyone wants player events with dm assistance:
What does the CHARACTER want to achieve from the event - this may not come true but it gives motivation
What does the PLAYER want to achieve - The character may want to blow up bendir, it wont happen, but what would be ideal for you as a player as an outcome? Maybe short term damage? Maybe goods stolen?
How will this involve other players? - Simply, "they can be involved in pvp" is not good... why bendir, what did they do? maybe specific targets.
What is the Win/Lose conditions - Know when youve won, a quick strike, capturing a person/item. What about loss? Having this makes it more fun for everyone, maybe a specific person in your party is the ONLY way past a locked door, and if they are captured you need to retreat!

Its not easy to keep a balance, we try and we are but human (Well im a Doggo)
So if you feel disheartened, talk to us.. its hard to fix "I feel attacked" without any context.

DM Wraith: @DM MoonMoon Nice one, Idk howl you do it, it does seem a bit furfetched

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:14 pm

Waldo52 wrote:
Edens_Fall wrote:

:lol: This made my morning, thank you!

Though I would point out anyone has the ability to request staff review of a thread. I encourage such when things appear to become heated and cross the line of providing opinions into the realm of direct attacks. Such never ends well as forum history has shown over and over again. There is enough OOC player bleed into the game space as it is, without causing more wounds here. That being said the thread is still open so you are still good! Rejoice!

On a side note, I personally think DMs should restrict a settlement’s ability to enforce their laws to only their settlement’s lands. I have seen my fair share of drama and issues arise from a settlement sending its guard forces into other settlements or neutral locations like sibayad or the arcane tower to arrest/bash a criminal. This would help provide some room for rogue groups to operate while still allowing factions to gate keep their own controlled communities. A win win in my book.

Edited for Grammer, naturally.

The First Vicar

Post by The First Vicar » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:00 pm

Quizmar wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:04 am

If I, nor other people didn't have multiple videos and screenshots of said grievances and abuse, this wouldn't be an issue. The issue here has always been prevalent. Lack of transparency. Making up unfair rules on the spot and having higher ups cover you when it's reported on because it was a overstep in punishment. Lack of actual player reviews and an understanding of that players actual intent, and refusal to reverse decisions made by a previous DM when the situation is found to be different than what was previously discovered. Completely different punishments handed out based solely on WHO the player is and not the action that was taken.
Launching hellballs and completely dispelling disfavored combatants when a big raid or pvp fight ensues. I've seen alot of whack stuff on the server and It hasn't been addressed properly in ever. I see alot of the "x good guy and good guy faction must win no matter what" narrative that's played out on a 'behind the scenes' level. Not even talking pvp here. I understand that there's a "setting" to preserve, but it doesn't need DM dismantlement help in the background to be achieved.

Naytle Crysmus

Re: Observations on surface "Good" vs Evil "roleplaying" (Moved to "squashing the OOC beef" leave the salt here)

Post by Naytle Crysmus » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:25 pm

Mega late to the thread.

I have played characters on both sides of the usual conflict. I've played a heinous Red Wizard who enslaved others, participated in the destruction of Westcliff with the Void Cult, and sailed with Pirates regularly without taking the ink. I've played a Spellsword who ended up as a guard in Guldorand and was entirely the LN type.
But the most important character to this conversation is a character that Everyone knows is not a good guy OOC, but has been so widely successful that it can only be attributed to the fact that others have willfully resisted the urge to metagame and have actively helped create plotlines.

The only way that has happened though has been through a twofold approach.
First, playing a character that is more than just "Spooky Bad Guy #578." Let's consider for just a moment that the joint experience of the 'good' characters has engrained in them an understanding of how evil people act. Expecting the Paladin to OOC ignore your actions 'for the sake of building a story' is laughable, because that Paladin has already tried that with someone else - or their friend has, or their boss has, or someone else has told them "I tried. It didn't work. We don't try anymore."
And that is Entirely not the evil guy's fault as a player, it's the fault of a decades worth of Roleplay hardening the server culture. The server has seen the bad guy, we know what they are, we know how it works. I think it's also safe to say that 9/10 times those bad guys that DO get a pass honestly end up doing nothing with it - they squander the potential and change the character that could have stopped them. Why would the Paladin that let the last Necro go let a second one go? It's called being jaded, and that's character growth.

Secondly, having an attainable goal in mind. An Actually attainable goal.
The destruction of Arelith is not an attainable goal. The destruction of Cordor, or any other settlement, is not an attainable goal. If your plan is to have your bad guy become a world-ending catastrophe, you're playing your bad guy in a way that just won't work. You can try all you want, and find some success (overcharging an astral cannister in Bendir, burning down the Cordor Theatre) but you should acknowledge OOC that your character will not change the landscape of the world.

In my mind, there's a lot of people that complain and say people don't know how to play Paladins.
But the real truth is, a lot more people don't know how to play a bad guy. Your role is Antagonist, not Hero. This is a fantasy setting where the Good guys beat the Bad guys more often than not. Foil, not Main Character. It falls to the Bad Guys to bring something interesting and worthwhile to the table far more than it is the Good Guys' responsibility to let you win sometimes.

Aradin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Observations on surface "Good" vs Evil "roleplaying" (Moved to "squashing the OOC beef" leave the salt here)

Post by Aradin » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:31 pm

Naytle Crysmus wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:25 pm

...it's the fault of a decades worth of Roleplay hardening the server culture. The server has seen the bad guy, we know what they are, we know how it works.

...having an attainable goal in mind. An actually attainable goal.
The destruction of Arelith is not an attainable goal. The destruction of Cordor, or any other settlement, is not an attainable goal. If your plan is to have your bad guy become a world-ending catastrophe, you're playing your bad guy in a way that just won't work. You can try all you want, and find some success but you should acknowledge OOC that your character will not change the landscape of the world.

...it falls to the Bad Guys to bring something interesting and worthwhile to the table far more than it is the Good Guys' responsibility to let you win sometimes.

There are some great server-specific insights here. I think villains have it continuously harder because there are only so many bad guy ideas, only so many original plots, only so many unique schemes. If you've played enough Arelith, then even if you haven't seen plot x before on your character, you're likely to have already seen it as a player. And it just can't command the same interest and attention it did your first time.
That's not your fault, villainous players! It's just tough to be a villain. I've been a couple. I feel it. You can't rely on DMs to make your villainous acts more "real" (not because they don't want to help you tell great stories, but because there are only a handful of (volunteer) DMs and thousands of players; while they can dedicate some of their time to your specific plot, you can't expect them to and you definitely can't hinge any of your plots on DM involvement.), it's a shot in the dark whether the characters/players you're targeting with your acts of villainy will actually want to engage with you rather than ignore you (your plot might be genuinely terrific, but as players we all have different tastes; sometimes you just don't find the right co-storytellers), and a hundred other reasons why you might try "evil" roleplay and it simply doesn't work. Being a successful, well-regarded villain is among the toughest things you can achieve on this server.

Here's my take on good vs. evil on Arelith. Take it with a grain of salt.

To be a successful villain on Arelith, you need to be more than a talented, gracious, and creative roleplayer. Having a compelling plot that meaningfully includes other players is the baseline of your success. You need to specifically know Arelith's culture as a server, and you need to know what you can reasonably achieve. You need to involve other players in a way that they enjoy, you need to respect other players, and, yes, you need to respect their characters and their efforts to stop you, because if you don't give them that respect they won't offer it to you. Extol your opponents, spread tales of their fearsome nature, hype them up even as you plot their doom. If you want to be a legendary villain, you need legendary heroes to go up against (it should go without saying that this goes both ways, all you goodly characters out there).
You also need to have thick skin. Characters may try and metagame you to "win", characters will scry you immediately after you log in, characters will find out your secret identities, characters will badmouth your character and complain about them on news boards, characters will undermine your motivations and call them dumb, irrational, idiotic, stupid, or - far worse - tell people that you should just be ignored. And you need to take all of that on the chin and roll with it, because if you don't your story fizzles out. You need to be a shining example of tolerance, cooperativeness, and adaptability, far more than "team good" has to be, because you're the one upsetting the status quo. And to make it all even tougher, your villain will likely lose in the end. And that's okay! The success of your villain isn't measured in whether you won or not. It's measured in the quality of the story that you, your allies, and your enemies were part of.

I promise you, if you're able to do all of the above, you will attract players who want to roleplay with you. You'll attract allies that want to help and enemies that want to understand you. You'll find yourself surrounded by characters wherever you go simply because they want to see what happens next. I firmly believe that the more respect you give out, the more you get in return. And if you feel like you've been metagamed? Report it, adapt your plot, and move on. There's nothing else that's worth the stress.

None of the above is easy, particularly in a game we play for fun in our free time. But if you really want to be a villain and you think you can do all of the above, then you can be part of a compelling story that'll stick with you - and everyone else who was involved - long after your character is rolled.

Was Lloyd Grimm, Sai Aung-K'yi, Stink Spellworped, Ikarus, and Revyn the White.

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:57 pm

Aradin wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:31 pm

Everything he said

You're 100% correct. I always saw myself more as a facilitator when I played a villain. You're placed in a unique position to be proactive which is a lot harder to do as a good guy. Bad guy does something (proactive), good guy tries to stop or fix it (reactive). It goes like that in all the stories. Not saying the bad guys should let the good guys win, but there's a give and take and in my opinion a good villain doesn't have an endless life or shouldn't have. Like Aradin says, eventually you run out of cool new plots and ideas and then you start just getting into a repetitive and meaningless cycle of the same old, same old.

Currently playing:

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Emma Young - Rolled

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:08 pm

on the rationality of characters: I sometimes think focusing on having logical motivations and rational thinking can actually limit story telling, many figures in history have done amazing things out of purely irrational mindsets

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:39 pm

One thing also to keep in mind, is that... it's steryotypically easier for evil to give more interesting 'outs' to players, that don't involve death.

Let's be honest here folks... death is boring. Death is 'end of story' After your pc has been killed and bashed, it's harder (IMO) to follow up that with the killing player. Not impossible? But harder.

But evil guys, upon defeating a good guy, have (stryotypically) a lot more options to persue. Kidnapping. Imprisonment Randsom. Torture. Enslavement. Magical Mischief. Curses. Brainwashing Even persuasion 'We are not so different you and I...' All avenues that can be persued (and for potentially a lot of fun on both sides!)

Good guys have (steryotypically!!!) a lot less options, and when they brush into other options, it's not uncommon for them to be lynched by other good guys.
'Yes I branded them with the symbol of Torm and-' "YOU WHAT?! YOU MONSTER!"
'Yes I gave them a good talking to and they promised not to do it again so- 'YOU WHAT? YOU FOOL! THEY JUST LIED TO YOU!'
'Yes I randsomed them back to their friends for-' YOU TREATED WITH EVIL! YOU TERRIBLE PERSON!'

I'm not sure I've any good answers to the above, except to encourage people to try and think outside the box a little, and even if it stretches belief/alignment a little, consider actions that are to the benefit of extending a story, rather than doing the purely 'best' or 'most optimal' option. But yeah, just putting it out there that that's another issue that I think can cause a little bit of disparity. Though I'm not sure how much honestly. My experience playing evil characters is a little limited.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:31 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:39 pm

But evil guys, upon defeating a good guy, have (stryotypically) a lot more options to persue.

I've had so many non-PVP stories on Theodor where I defeated the "good" guys. And it is so much more satisfying to being someone down emotionally, mentally or politically and outsmarting them. Like you say, death is just an end. Especially with the rules around not being able to remember anything it's boring. But to turn someone into an arch enemy and trying to outsmart and outwit them? Now that's a fun good vs evil collaboration. It does however need trust and that's hard to come by on Arelith especially when you haven't played with someone before.

Currently playing:

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Emma Young - Rolled

Bazelgeuse

Post by Bazelgeuse » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:22 am

D4wN wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:31 pm

I've had so many non-PVP stories on Theodor where I defeated the "good" guys. And it is so much more satisfying to being someone down emotionally, mentally or politically

i'm an easy win for the bad guys because i'm always down emotionally and mentally :(

Ad Astra

Post by Ad Astra » Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:12 am

One of my favorite things I have seen good guys do is trade evil prisoners back to dark side for information, or a future favor. What's cool is it's quite a gamble, but when you deal with certain bad guys, you realize how much they value their word and the appearance that comes from that. Some day, you may be able to use that favor to see a good guy released, no strings attached, if you interacted with the right bad guy. Many warlocks, and those who treat with fiends, find themselves feeling bound by their word as a result of their lifestyle and it can be used to your advantage.

Choofed

Post by Choofed » Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:34 am

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:39 pm

One thing also to keep in mind, is that... it's steryotypically easier for evil to give more interesting 'outs' to players, that don't involve death.

Let's be honest here folks... death is boring. Death is 'end of story' After your pc has been killed and bashed, it's harder (IMO) to follow up that with the killing player. Not impossible? But harder.

But evil guys, upon defeating a good guy, have (stryotypically) a lot more options to persue. Kidnapping. Imprisonment Randsom. Torture. Enslavement. Magical Mischief. Curses. Brainwashing Even persuasion 'We are not so different you and I...' All avenues that can be persued (and for potentially a lot of fun on both sides!)

Good guys have (steryotypically!!!) a lot less options, and when they brush into other options, it's not uncommon for them to be lynched by other good guys.
'Yes I branded them with the symbol of Torm and-' "YOU WHAT?! YOU MONSTER!"
'Yes I gave them a good talking to and they promised not to do it again so- 'YOU WHAT? YOU FOOL! THEY JUST LIED TO YOU!'
'Yes I randsomed them back to their friends for-' YOU TREATED WITH EVIL! YOU TERRIBLE PERSON!'

I'm not sure I've any good answers to the above, except to encourage people to try and think outside the box a little, and even if it stretches belief/alignment a little, consider actions that are to the benefit of extending a story, rather than doing the purely 'best' or 'most optimal' option. But yeah, just putting it out there that that's another issue that I think can cause a little bit of disparity. Though I'm not sure how much honestly. My experience playing evil characters is a little limited.

So a genuine recommendation here, give the goodguys a means to send someone off to a labour camp or 'prison' from their respective jails. Gives us an out to send them to a prison camp or something, without having to kill them so we don't memory scrub them with the death rules.

Sometimes sentencing someone to ten years in jail, but 'they escaped!!!' is a good option, it would be nice if it could have some mechanical support.

As it stands, I've just been putting people in the Cordor jail cells with escape routes, sentencing them for 10 years and then very explicitly telling them precisely how to escape on an OOC so they can leave whenever they want when the RP's over.