Worthless Runes

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Reikenbach

Worthless Runes

Post by Reikenbach » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:02 am

There's a consistent problem with a lot of runic material where due to the nature of how enchanting is implemented, a significant amount of the runes we can craft are just never in-demand. This isn't going to go away with the upcoming enchanting rework - in fact, I'd argue it's only going to get worse, because T3 dweomercrafters will be able to squeeze more onto properties items without needing a rune in the first place, meaning most people probably wont even bother with T1 and T2 runes at all. T3 runes will also be less desirable compared to naturally-runic equipment in many cases, but they'll at least hold value for enchanting specific crafted and loot table items.

Having talked with some other players, my suggestion is to just remove Lesser and Greater runes. Instead, have the only craftable runes be Masterwork, and let us combine lower-grade runic material into higher grade material. For example - ten pieces of T1 material to make a single piece of T2 material, and ten pieces of T2 material to make a single piece of T3 material. If it takes a hundred chardalyn shards to make a perfect chardalyn stone, then they're not going to be worth much but at least they'll have some guaranteed value that isn't found at a peddler. It feels bad to sell runic materials to a vendor, and I'm pretty sure that's where a lot of low-grade material is going to go with the new enchanting system because there's already a glut of runic materials hardly anybody wants.

Diegovog

Re: Worthless Runes

Post by Diegovog » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:56 am

I think T2 runes have gained much more relevance with this runic change, since it's only 2pts away from max and a lot of builds will do absolutely fine with it. If anything, it hurts too much that theurglass is still used in spheres of gravity.

But yeah, T1 is pretty bad and it's the majority of the shrines runs.

I don't think you need to remove them at all. Just allowing to craft:
5 T1 into a T2
3 T2 into a T3
Would already be a huge quality of life and

AstralUniverse

Re: Worthless Runes

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:17 am

I think the state of most runic ingredients is pretty good.

First of all, regardless of my main point, on my most recent character I, in fact, made a few cheap 3-stat items with lesser runes when I was around lvl 20. The build really needed it. But this case is minority, I know.

I do think however that the need for some of the t1 and t2 ingredients for crafting is doing work for their demand to some degree. And more recipes can include them in the future so this isnt set in stone. I've had no issue selling t1 djinn and chardalyn for 10k, and t1 thurglass for even 20k, multiple times quite recently.

I also think that with the upcoming rework, a lot of people will settle on items with t1 or t2 runes, because the difference in stats between those and a t3 isnt the huge and for some builds it would only mean spending probably 1mil for another +2 skill on some low priority skill they could totally live without, so I think we'll have to see how things unfold with the gear rework. It really comes down to how expensive the T3s become.

Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too