Awards System Cooldown

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Dreams

Awards System Cooldown

Post by Dreams » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:58 pm

I appreciate the need for a cooldown so people aren't grinding through awards. It's currently set up to the following:

Minor - 1 month
Normal - 2 months
Greater - 2 months
Major - 3 months

2 months is a really long time considering the difference between Normal + Greater awards. There's some cool options available but it feels like a kick in the teeth to be unsuccessful for what you're aiming at (rolling at 30 with 1m+ gold), hitting a normal, and being barred from trying again for two months. My alternative is that Minor/Normal should be 1 month, Greater 2 months, Major 3 months. Even then it's still a pretty long time!

Also the -awards "Less than a day" message could probably give an actual timer or countdown when you're on the last day. I'm not sure why there's any reason to hide this from players. It's misleading because the day before it'll say "1 day remaining", when it's actually displaying that in between 1 day and 1.99999 days.

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.

Amateur Hour

Re: Awards System Cooldown

Post by Amateur Hour » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:27 pm

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that your cooldown doesn't "complete" until the next reset after your cooldown timer ends (which would make some sense, for database purposes).

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Cthuletta

Post by Cthuletta » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:54 pm

100% agree with a lesser cooldown for Normals.

Dreams wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:58 pm

Also the -awards "Less than a day" message could probably give an actual timer or countdown when you're on the last day. I'm not sure why there's any reason to hide this from players. It's misleading because the day before it'll say "1 day remaining", when it's actually displaying that in between 1 day and 1.99999 days.

And THIS. I made my first sacrificial and was so confused on when I could roll. Character had said their goodbyes because it was '1 Day Remaining', I assumed that meant I'd roll the next day... but there was an entire day waiting after.
I've also heard the reset rumour, but as far as I know, the 'Less Than A Day' timer is a full 24 hours.

Juniper Oakley - A Little Bitey

Ny'aza 'Peggy' Philor'tyl - Travelling
Tiffa Took Hss'tafi - Happy in Sigil

Ariex

Post by Ariex » Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:36 pm

I also do not understand why there is such a long cooldown on normals.

Algol

Post by Algol » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:18 pm

I don't think the reason for award cool down is to make reward races better but it is to disincentivize people from constantly leveling and rolling characters. I think reducing the timer would defeat this purpose and 2-3 months is already rather short for a character in my opinion.

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:37 pm

Algol wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:18 pm

I don't think the reason for award cool down is to make reward races better but it is to disincentivize people from constantly leveling and rolling characters. I think reducing the timer would defeat this purpose and 2-3 months is already rather short for a character in my opinion.

This is my understanding as well.

I do see why people are upset at getting the same cooldown with a Normal as with a Greater; I'd be tempted to suggest the better solution is to make Greater 3 months and Major 4 months, but I'm another player who tends to commit to characters for at least half a year, so I realize this is probably an uncommon/unpopular opinion.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:05 am

Everyone has a different style. You also find that sometimes you just don’t enjoy playing the thing as much as you might have thought. Usually by then you’ve already lost the award.

My main argument is that given the minor award only occurs for people less than level 26, the normal award is somewhat equivalent as the lowest award at the time that you roll. That’s why they should both be 1 month. The player has already put in more effort in the case of the normal to reach level 26+.

This change wouldn’t come anywhere close to how quickly awards were being gained before the timers got implemented, and my feedback is that they feel too long, particularly on the normal.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:09 am

Ok my logic here goes like this..

Everybody is swimming in normal awards.
This is because we're guaranteed to get at least Normal (and likely to be Normal) on every character, and we're using only 1 award per character, so if we for example always use our most recent reward on our next character, we'll likely always have at least 1 normal in the vault. players who run out of normals because they sit on a bunch of greaters/majors they arent using at all, arent included in the logic - they have majors and greaters to play.

When I roll a character I dont want to get Normal at all. If I could, I would deny the Normal in order to also skip the cooldown duration.

This means the cooldown duration on Normals is what keeps the ratio of greater/major award characters we actually see in the game, not the cooldown on the greater/majors themselves.

Not sure if there's a point to be made here. Just food for thought.

Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:45 pm

Guildorand start is also a factor since a normal means you can jump back in at 16 and get that character back to 26 in a relatively short amount of time (well, for people who aren't me). If it was one month you'd have players doing endless loops of that until they got a major.

Honestly though the announced/rumored "point buy" system couldn't come soon enough. I don't think there's any option for the current system that's going to be ideal.

Harpy

Post by Harpy » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:09 pm

Eyeliner wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:45 pm

Guildorand start is also a factor since a normal means you can jump back in at 16 and get that character back to 26 in a relatively short amount of time (well, for people who aren't me). If it was one month you'd have players doing endless loops of that until they got a major.

Honestly though the announced/rumored "point buy" system couldn't come soon enough. I don't think there's any option for the current system that's going to be ideal.

If a character uses a level 16 start they are unable to get a major award from rolling, and that 5% chance instead becomes for a Greater award. So at 26 its 95% chance for another normal and only 5% chance for a greater.

Sincra
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Sincra » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:40 pm

Harpy wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:09 pm
Eyeliner wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:45 pm

If a character uses a level 16 start they are unable to get a major award from rolling, and that 5% chance instead becomes for a Greater award. So at 26 its 95% chance for another normal and only 5% chance for a greater.

This is no longer the case as it was reverted shortly after the change you're referencing was put in.

Irongron wrote:I've literally never used -guard on anyone.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:22 am

2 months on, I roll another character and get a Normal award. 2 more months... This still feels bad.

Peacelily

Post by Peacelily » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:50 am

There also comes times when you might logically want to roll a character (they die to PvP, for example, and you shrug and want it to stick), and you're on award cooldown.

Further, not everyone has a bunch of Awards. I didn't play heavily back before the cooldown as implemented. I've never had a major. I have four awards total. As well, as the level 16 start doesn't apply to UD characters, there's a bit of a gap there in how they can be used between surface and UD.

The First Vicar

Post by The First Vicar » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:12 pm

Y'all let me know when I can use my major on something good.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:37 pm

The First Vicar wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:12 pm

Dont compromise for anything less than a vampire at this point lol

Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

The First Vicar

Post by The First Vicar » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:27 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:37 pm
The First Vicar wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:12 pm

Dont compromise for anything less than a vampire at this point lol

Sheeet. Right? Maybe if I make 20930324 more suggestion posts on adding a few more major races, one will get through. CAMBION OR BUST.