HARBINGER FEEDBACK

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Ruzuke

Re: HARBINGER FEEDBACK

Post by Ruzuke » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:39 pm

I believe the change to the black blade was a little to harsh. If the duration is to be changed for two turns then could the time to cast it be changed for two minutes? Or perhaps it remains out for six turns with a time of four minutes. This would allow time for the epic ability to be available.

With the removal of skills points I would also request the class is given some of the skills which would allow it to enter into the cross class specialties and the feats which allow harbinger to cross class work towards some of the other classes..

In my case I would love to make a Harbinger / Shadow Dancer however even before the skill point change with an 18 int it is a struggle to have the skill points needed. With it I would need to move to a secondary class to take the build. Perhaps the Lurker feat could behave like the Shadow Mage path and allow choosing the PRC without hide and move silently with the cost it does not grant the sneak attack.

Could we also get spellcraft? This is the only class with spells without it.

I am enjoying the class even with the changes. I personally build for flavor with the class helping telling the character's story. I am not a power builder. No spreadsheets and I have no idea if the above feedback and thoughts would allow a power builder to crush and slay everyone.

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Quidix » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:38 pm

On the Class Synergy, currently it only adds to the Harbinger's own CL - has it been considered to add the CL to the unlocking class too? Specifically, to give Warlock CL when taking Eldritch Patronage and Ranger CL when taking Eternal Hunter?

Whosdis

Post by Whosdis » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:58 pm

Dipped my toes finally: I fell in love with the initial design, favoring the greater amount of skill points and achievable damage even if you went a non-strength build: The way I went it felt like a more modular Bladesinger, with skills, dips, and Rumours of War letting you rival or even surpass in versatility whilst being a strong frontliner. I was surprised to hear that allegedly most Harbingers are full 30's, which I imagine is the reason for balancing changes: I envision a grand majority are going divine patronage for divine shield and might (with dark blessing being a bonus atop), and Cursed Armaments for access to heavy armor.

Not a big fan of the skill points reduction: The increase in skill points combined with the reduced HD made it a touch closer to melee Warlock and provided a bit of flexibility. Losing that puts them right back into the skill-starved rank Hexblades were at, which yet retain the higher damage hit dice and larger damage immunities compared to Mortality Undone.

Maybe some of the ala Seeker Cleric some of the paths and/or Rumours of War might provide bonus skill points?

Improved Weapon Hex feels like a middle-ground between whether or not you went Curse of Sacrifice: Now it's less health and nominally less damage, although the other provided bonuses are decent. Your enhancement bonus is also going to end up 1 point lower than Hexblade's equivalent whether you dip or not.

It's still a strong class and unlike prior iterations of Spellsword I feel it can mesh very well with dipping into other classes, which is a big draw for me. I would like to say that I immensely approve of the modular design of the class and hence the work Amnesy et al. have done and are doing for it.