Hood Checks

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

D4wN

Re: Hood Checks

Post by D4wN » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:12 pm

Royal Blood wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:56 pm

I think it's worth pointing out there are a lot of ways to get into Cordor. And the Hood Checks are cool in my opinion. It's neat RP opportunity but I don't quite understand why everyone gets so up in arms about pulling a hood down. It seems practical given circumstances and dangers.

If you want to infiltrate Cordor don't walk through the main gate.

That being said, regarding the mechanic, I think it's a clever IC way around the god save mechanic though I doubt that was the intention. Hood Checks have been there for years I believe, before you could even god save a disguise. Even still, I think it remains practical. And all indications so far suggest it's not an exploit but really just an understanding of the mechanics.

The godsave is a save, like that was a close one, not a walk into like an armed patrol and everyone can't recognize you.

This basically. And yeah, maybe write a suggestion on the forum that removing a hood/mask/helmet shouldn't get rid of the CD. Tbh, I didn't even know it did.

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:02 pm

Scurvy Cur wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:58 pm

Tbh I think we should just remove the disguise godsave, or at the very least, remove the indication that it has been used.

The indicator is very much needed so you can report someone that metagamed your disguise without breaking it. It has happened to me before. It's really important.

That being said, I'm in favor of removing godsave for disguises. It's far too easy to disguise your life away unless you meet dedicated spotters following your around

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:48 pm

Alright, then it is easier to make it past a guard with your disguise intact if you do not wear a hood.
No wasted godsave, no doubling up on spotting through bypass of spot CD.

Cover + Disguise = Weak.
No Cover + Disguise = Stronk.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:45 am

Diegovog wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:02 pm
Scurvy Cur wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:58 pm

Tbh I think we should just remove the disguise godsave, or at the very least, remove the indication that it has been used.

The indicator is very much needed so you can report someone that metagamed your disguise without breaking it. It has happened to me before. It's really important.

That being said, I'm in favor of removing godsave for disguises. It's far too easy to disguise your life away unless you meet dedicated spotters following your around

I'm pretty sure we're talking about removing the indicator that god-save proc happened from disguise breaking attempt, not the indicator that disguise has been broken/unbroken. Although, people could just type -date and check their piety so god-save for disguise would probably need to be removed entirely or not cost piety. Personally, I'm on board. I was protesting against the change that raised the disguise break attempt cooldown from 3 minutes to 10 minutes in first place.

Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Monkey » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:39 am

If I'm reading this right, it's being claimed that:

1. Someone observes a disguised character who has a hood on. (Let's assume the spot check failed due to godsave)
  2. Hood-check means the disguised character needs to lower their hood. (The claim is that this allows for a reroll due to changing something about their appearance with -hood)
  3. The observer now examines again. (Potentially getting past the godsave now that it has already been triggered)

^ That would be an exploit. We have decent logs that will let us know if this has happened, so players should report specific instances rather than airing problems here on the forum.

The above sounds more like a bug that is not intended, so it should be put into the bug forum following the bug report procedure.

Try harder! Help set a good example of roleplay for the server culture.

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:14 pm

Xerah wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:01 pm

I’ve never had a character who lives in stealth/disguise/full cover.

Hood checks have always seemed like stick based roleplay. Stories are much more likely to come out of carrot based roleplay. I’ve avoided them as a player, if I’m involved in the cordor guard or not.

Some people mentioned “papers please”. For an example, get the leader/gov agents to issue “papers” and actually ask for those instead. Maybe they are give special papers that says they are an elevated member of society (because they are a wizard obv). This seems much more carrot based than hood checks to break disguises.

I agree that this sort of route to take is a good suggestion.

Please don't feed my sister.