Rename Giftwraps to 'Package'

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Windows95 CD-ROM

Rename Giftwraps to 'Package'

Post by Windows95 CD-ROM » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:44 pm

I think the gift wrap item is very cool. I can see a lot of uses for this in roleplay. However, I think that the name of the item could be changed to something more neutral like 'wrapped package' or just 'package'. A gift item seems intimate and informal, while making a delivery to someone or hiding a nefarious trap inside a 'package' sort of opens up the doors for more widespread use.

My suggestion is to rename the item from a 'gift' to a 'package'.

DM Starfish
Art Director
Art Director

Re: Rename Giftwraps to 'Package'

Post by DM Starfish » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:21 pm

I kinda get what you mean but this is the name the devs have agreed upon and I think it's fine how it is. The name does not restrict its use.

Denied.

Roleplay is a two way street.

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:38 am

Windows95 CD-ROM wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:44 pm

I think the gift wrap item is very cool. I can see a lot of uses for this in roleplay. However, I think that the name of the item could be changed to something more neutral like 'wrapped package' or just 'package'. A gift item seems intimate and informal, while making a delivery to someone or hiding a nefarious trap inside a 'package' sort of opens up the doors for more widespread use.

I haven't seen these IG yet and don't know if these can be actually rigged with traps or not but... it sure would be cool to be able to rig them with traps that go off when they're opened.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:48 am

I have to agree with Windows 95. "Gift wrap" conjures images of bright Santa-colored gift boxes, ones you would typically find in MMOs during a Christmas holiday event.

"Parcel" or "Package" is neutral and informative enough to let you know that there is something inside to unpack.

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:27 am

package is already used for courier mechanics which is going to be expanded in the future. so I don't think doubling up on names is a good idea.

Zaphiel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Zaphiel » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:54 am

Even though having the name of Gift Wrap doesn’t prevent one to use it for other purposes, I also agree that the name is confusing. I think calling it package as others suggested is better.

In Sorrow We Trust wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:27 am

package is already used for courier mechanics which is going to be expanded in the future. so I don't think doubling up on names is a good idea.

They always can be renamed to “Courier Package”, which is imo enough to differentiate them.

Edited for grammar to make it worse, probably.

Turtleduck

Post by Turtleduck » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:44 pm

First of all, thank you very much to the team for adding this item! It's an awesome addition, frankly, and kudos to anyone that worked on it.

Zaphiel wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:54 am

Even though having the name of Gift Wrap doesn’t prevent one to use it for other purposes, I also agree that the name is confusing. I think calling it package as others suggested is better.

They always can be renamed to “Courier Package”, which is imo enough to differentiate them.

Agreed, I think package is a better name as well. It's more flexible and fitting than gift/giftwrap. Depending on the item's appearance/use, "Package Wrap", "Packaging Paper", or some variant/combination of those may be appropriate.

DM Starfish wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:21 pm

I kinda get what you mean but this is the name the devs have agreed upon and I think it's fine how it is. The name does not restrict its use.

Denied.

I don't see the advantage in shutting down player feedback like this immediately as a first response. The server benefits greatly from folks exchanging ideas and pinging thoughts off each other. Feels very unnecessary and counterintuitive to the forum's purpose.

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:46 pm

Eyeliner wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:38 am

I haven't seen these IG yet and don't know if these can be actually rigged with traps or not but... it sure would be cool to be able to rig them with traps that go off when they're opened.

Or poisons as those are already balanced to not require hostile flagging before use. Either make "edible" poisons work for both or add a couple of new "contact" based ones.

If people could start storing their valuables inside trapped/poisoned giftwrap packages in their storage then it could be used to deter thieves.

Heck if a special poison could be made that's equivalent to the anti-theft dye that stains a PC and sticks around through rests for an extended period it could be another tool for catching thieves.

backlands
General Admin
General Admin

Post by backlands » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:25 pm

Will be changing the response on this actually. I like this feedback and think it is a smart adjustment. I like it and the team is in favour of the name change. The description difference between these and courier packages should avoid any confusion as well.

Excellent feedback thank you! As for traps, we will see. I am a bit overloaded atm but perhaps in the future???

hugolino

Post by hugolino » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:28 pm

Turtleduck wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:44 pm

I don't see the advantage in shutting down player feedback like this immediately as a first response. The server benefits greatly from folks exchanging ideas and pinging thoughts off each other. Feels very unnecessary and counterintuitive to the forum's purpose.

Speaking as a fellow player, I see an advantage to clear and prompt communication regardless of whether the outcome is what one desires. Also, a rejection of a suggestion does not mean that it wasn't heard. Furthermore, engaging in discussion on something that is settled often creates the illusion that it is not, so I wouldn't consider it preferable in such situations.