UD Resources

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

UD Resources

Post by Irongron » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:27 pm

Just a question for Underdark players.

We've seen a fair bit of increase in the last years of resources (fauna mainly) to be found, especially with the addition of cooking, and I know that for many of these there is no UD equivalent. I'm generally happy with this as it opens up means to trade, but suspect that nevertheless the Underdark could do with its own version of at least some of it.

I'm hoping to get some idea of what resources are few and far between in the Underdark, and what players think it could do with.

Peacelily

Re: UD Resources

Post by Peacelily » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:37 pm

Honey is deliberately surfaceside.

Garlic comes from mainly the Tinkers, as far as I've been aware - I've not seen any plants with it.

Ancient Softwood, for some reason, seems to be incredibly rare (or I'm not touching the right writs).

Flameberries are only from the Burning Shores.
Weirdly, do Flame Beetle Bellies, which are used for a one/use summon item that's entirely outclassed by the time you reach there. Adding those to the Sewers would be super helpful.

Some plants only grow in the Spore Farms; Mintspear, Lady's Tear, if you're underground. A big problem is the Spore Farms are a district lock - which can limit who can access things. This means that if they are slaves or part of the wrong district, you can't get things like Lady's Tear or Mintspear. UDers also can't buy from Azoun, as well as spices, rice, kaeth, etc - everything is locked there.

Mandrake roots are also Spore Farms exclusive below, that I've seen

Sailfin, Eagle Feathers are more important thanks to being needed for Gravity items, but neither spawn anywhere in the UD that I've seen

Zinc is rare, but that's everywhere! Mithril seems very common (to the extent steel can be harder to get hold of sometimes).

Last edited by Peacelily on Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peacelily

Post by Peacelily » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:43 pm

Also, give us one of the new Fishing vendors, with hooks, simple poles, knives, small bait, and kelp! They'd fit perfectly in the Rothe Farms - there's a fishing spot there

A Digital Vagrant

Post by A Digital Vagrant » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:55 pm

Peacelily wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:37 pm

UDers also can't buy from Azoun, as well as spices, rice, kaeth, etc - everything is locked there.

The not being able to buy from Azoun is intentional - there is an Import Trader that has these goods (albeit also locked inside the Spore Farms).

Peacelily

Post by Peacelily » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:12 pm

A Digital Vagrant wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:55 pm

The not being able to buy from Azoun is intentional - there is an Import Trader that has these goods (albeit also locked inside the Spore Farms).

I'm aware - that's why I added it to the Spore Farm section, though I could have been clearer!

Ascended Mage

Post by Ascended Mage » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:31 pm

A Digital Vagrant wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:55 pm
Peacelily wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:37 pm

UDers also can't buy from Azoun, as well as spices, rice, kaeth, etc - everything is locked there.

There should be evil/neutral other port because before Dread Pirates from Sencliff used have access to Azoun and was a great reason for UD-ers interact with Sencliff to bring goods. Now Dread Pirates don't have access to trader.
It would be great to have criminal port that still not welcomes monsters but serves for outcasts and pirates.
It is not that important though, because right non-outcast evil surfacer who is friend to character easy can buy everything in Azoun while monsters/pirates stays on ship. But again, what reasons to enforce such mechanical (tiny) things when there no other places in seas like Azoun but for pirates/outcasts. So it just turns in to small complication and just cheesed/ignored.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:07 pm

Ascended Mage wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:31 pm

It would be great to have criminal port that still not welcomes monsters but serves for outcasts and pirates.

that was meant to be sencliff but yall done screwed that one up

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

WaldoT

Post by WaldoT » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:32 pm

Zinc there really never seems to be be enough of it for how useful it is.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:56 pm

Kuma wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:07 pm
Ascended Mage wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:31 pm

that was meant to be sencliff but yall done screwed that one up

Fite me. Kobold pirates when?

fr fr
King's Crown is ludicrously rare to find in ud.
Zinc and tin deposits seem rare.
I feel spider silk spawns in too small quantities and there's not enough nodes in the literal spider-infested dungeons.
Iceberries and flameberries could use low level spawns. Iceberries could also be a little more generously placed around the ice roads.

Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

perseid

Post by perseid » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:55 am

I'd say honey, garlic, and maaaaybe milk (but I admittedly haven't looked that hard for milk) are all pretty hard to find with the same availability as the surface.

Edit: Depending how you want to label resources, I'd also add the UD has no trade writ equivalent which isn't really something that matters for individual characters but affects resource balance a little from a district perspective imo.

Peacelily

Post by Peacelily » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:27 am

Milk drops in limited amounts from Derro but can be bought in Dis, which Andunor has easy access to

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:33 am

Peacelily wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:27 am

Milk drops in limited amounts from Derro

....derro milk.... :shock:

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:59 am

In Sorrow We Trust wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:33 am
Peacelily wrote:

:<

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:55 pm

I feel like rothe should be milkable creatures like cows, if they aren't already.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:24 am

Hazard wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:59 am
In Sorrow We Trust wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:33 am
Peacelily wrote:

:<

The new black lotus of Faerun. Smugglers rejoice, you finally have a reason for existence!

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:30 am

https://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Herbalism

When plants and other things were introduced into the module, before even the fertile ground update, UD players could plant plants and there was a beautiful, creative time where we delved deep into lore, had the resources, and named them appropriately.

There were also people who planted cotton on flagstone, which seemingly led to another episode of why we can't have nice things.

I think we need to relook the penalty we place on the UD specifically in regard to these resources and their surface-only tags. Maybe that is part of what this thread is about?

I think there are two branching paths, where either we allow substitutionary equivalency (i.e. both surface plants and underdark plants produce 'nuts') or we go completely unique (blood root stalk does not produce 'nuts') and there are underdark-specific resources and products (see original Nitharit idea.)

Arelith has been of two minds on this essential question, where we have some examples of each path. I would argue more for the equivalency principle and having most resources available above and below. This makes things easy, where you can still have racially-locked cultural items, but resourcing is a bit more fair.

tlldr: I think we specifically need to allow UD plant equivalencies so that, for example, cooking is a viable trade path below.

C.f. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5JEoD7keVo

The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Itikar

Post by Itikar » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:41 pm

For the feathers we could add an area with dire corbies as enemies. They are barbaric Underdark creatures that lend themselves well for a low level dungeon. I think the main issue would be to find them a suitable model.

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... volume-one

This small file lists wereravens as available models, and I think it could be adapted fairly well if scaled down, to corbies.

Other than that, I would like to see some exclusive Underdark resources that could be used in productions needed both above and below, so that the trade would be bidirectional.

Incidentally, I think this could be a good opportunity to add some canon Underdark creatures that are sorely missing from Arelith:

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... ple-worm-0

One above all, the purple worm, but there are many other ones, unfortunately not all with a suitable model on the vault.

Peacelily

Post by Peacelily » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:34 pm

Fishing is also a problem, since Sailfin are very important now for the Beads, but there's a possible solution!

Redo the Coral Grove as a Surface/Lake biome. This would explain the light above, and add fishing. This would let sailfin be caught in the UD!

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:09 am

I could have made a KUDOS thread on this but thought I would put a bow on it here instead.

This is an elegant, lore-appropriate solution to the UD resource/herbalism problem.

Thanks Iron!

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:21 am

Is there a lore-appropriate UD source of Yarrow? And if there isn't, could there be?

I find myself looting every crate for the random drops and never have enough.