Shattered Badlands - Feedback / Bugs

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Shattered Badlands - Feedback / Bugs

Post by CookieMonster » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:20 pm

I will always appreciate expansions and additions in the Underdark, it's a delicate little flower that needs subtle touches which the new areas and resources do well.

I have found a couple of little bugs though and I'll list them below

The large rocks allow spawns inside them, which are untargetable

The bridge doesn't work properly, the side I tested is acting like an exit point. So clicking it simply turns you around rather than crossing the bridge

I'm not 100% sure how to describe this one. When you climb down, you can walk a little bit and then you encounter some sort of "Wall". A line across the ground, like different textures? You can see it on my spell mantle in the image. Where I walked to is about as far as you can go.

This one isn't inside the shattered badlands, it's in the "area res: urdlenent" once you climb up, their is a pile of gold by the shrine, but you can't reach it to open it.

DM Spyre wrote:Someone has watched too much Dragonball Super.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Shattered Badlands - Feedback / Bugs

Post by Irongron » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:27 pm

These should be addressed for the next reset (well maybe not the first as I couldn't quite tell where that was).

Thanks for letting me know.

Peacelily

Post by Peacelily » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:33 am

I picked up a few of the writs, and went exploring!

First off, this area is absolutely amazing. Love it. I can only recommended (certain NPCs) drop (captured NPC) when killed, allowing kobolds to hunt

Mobs
Scrap Golem - only drop stolen treasure
Towering Foundrey Golems seem strong for the level of the writ. +42 to hit with 30-50 damage with construct immunities spawning groups of 1-3?

Area 1 - mobs often spawn behind barricades with no way to get to them

Writ - Scrap Foundry
Execute the Current Caesar of the Scavengers is marked 0/10. I went through the foundry, one spawned. Either they're underspawning, or there's only meant to be one

Peacelily

Post by Peacelily » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:25 pm

Crawler's Burrow (tunnels after Blightsmede)

Unable to get through to this area. Unsure if due to the Ankheg, but the new spawns block the transition even after death

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:39 pm

Peacelily wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:33 am

Towering Foundrey Golems seem strong for the level of the writ. +42 to hit with 30-50 damage with construct immunities spawning groups of 1-3?

These only spawn for high epics. There are quite a few such monsters in those areas. Do the writ at the appropriate level and they won't be there.

Thanks for the rest of the feedback though!

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CookieMonster » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:34 pm

Irongron wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:27 pm

These should be addressed for the next reset (well maybe not the first as I couldn't quite tell where that was).

Thanks for letting me know.

My bad, I should have made it a bit more clear. Here is another screenshot zoomed out with the minimap as well. It is just behind the bridge.

DM Spyre wrote:Someone has watched too much Dragonball Super.

BattleDrake

Post by BattleDrake » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:46 am

There's a climbspot here in Blightmede. I keep attempting to go up and passing the climb check, but it doesn't teleport me to the top part. Just resets me back at the beginning.

Recent Characters:
Aramis - "S'fine piece of art yer havin' there." (Shelved)
Eradyn - Trying to make the world a better place. (Shelved)
[Redacted] - ? (?)
Skek - Happiness in Endless Industry. (Rolled)

Melchizedek14

Post by Melchizedek14 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:58 pm

Peacelily wrote:

Writ - Scrap Foundry
Execute the Current Caesar of the Scavengers is marked 0/10. I went through the foundry, one spawned. Either they're underspawning, or there's only meant to be one

Ran into the same thing. As it currently stands, you have to clear the Scrap Foundry 10 times to complete the writ. My guess is this was intended to be kill 10 enemies as one item and kill the Caesar as a separate item and they somehow morphed into one. I have a screenshot, but the board quota's been reached and I can't attach it.

Also, kill the Illithid Operative ticked off as complete for me when I killed the Mind Frog in the waste dump. Either there was one there and my summons killed but I didn't see it and it left no corpse, or the Mind Frog ticked off an extra quest flag when it died.

Last bit of feedback... There seems to be too few Blood Rider spawns for the number you have to kill. I had to sweep the Badlands several times in order to kill enough and I was the only player around.

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:14 pm

Melchizedek14 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:58 pm
Peacelily wrote:

Writ - Scrap Foundry

Ran into the same thing. As it currently stands, you have to clear the Scrap Foundry 10 times to complete the writ. My guess is this was intended to be kill 10 enemies as one item and kill the Caesar as a separate item and they somehow morphed into one. I have a screenshot, but the board quota's been reached and I can't attach it.

Also, kill the Illithid Operative ticked off as complete for me when I killed the Mind Frog in the waste dump. Either there was one there and my summons killed but I didn't see it and it left no corpse, or the Mind Frog ticked off an extra quest flag when it died.

Last bit of feedback... There seems to be too few Blood Rider spawns for the number you have to kill. I had to sweep the Badlands several times in order to kill enough and I was the only player around.

Ah, that's a script error, there should only be one ceasar, that's their leader. I'll add more blood riders in those areas too.

Thanks!

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:55 am

Some thoughts as we were going around:

Starting with the blatant bugs.
Scrap golems consistently turn into "Remains" where they have Stolen Treasure instead of regular loot bodies.

There's a good chunk of places where mobs spawn into the terrain. We encountered at least 4 inaccessible spots going around the areas.

There's a place that is accessible but only from the other side, in a place that LOOKS like should be walkable without issue and mobs gets stuck trying to go through. (First zone away from the caravan)

Other inaccessible place where enemies got stuck, this one in the 'main' area that connects to Rider's Peak and the forge.

Finally: New dreadsteeds have Nightmares descriptions. I assume they need their own, since I don't think those are necessarily nightmares.

Feedback now:
The whole place is great, I'd gather that it is meant to be a low 20/high teen area.
One of the greatest strengths we found, both mechanically and aesthetically, is the array of different enemies. Just getting swarmed with ogres, trogs, drow and constructs all at the same time was great.

What aren't great are the Towering Foundry Golems.
We managed to kill all mobs outside with relative ease with a party of 3 lvl 30 meleers, but there was one type of mob that I didn't like.
The Towering Foundry Golems slowed us down to a crawl every time we encountered one in the forge, and they spawned in groups of 3. They hit considerably harder and they have not the worst AB - this is OK- but they have a stupid high DR to everything and only a few types of damage went through. This is not OK. This sole mob seems to go against the diverse, myriad-mob design of the outside area and pretty much defeats the purpose of having mixed spawns when they are the only thing that is an actual threat, and simultaneously the hardest one to bring down by far.

On another note, as we entered the forge room boss it was completely overfilled with enemies, and we ended up very slowly fighting at the door, as they were stuck and had no way to go through. Since the other door was locked, we couldn't go around to flank them either to make better sense of the space and the map geometry.

I don't know if Rust monsters are scripted to work as one would suspect they do, and if they are, that'd make them very scary opponents.

We found a few chests around.

The slime dungeon was the tamer one, and it had... nothing of note. The ambushes were a nice touch, but I feel it's missing both a loot incentive (we found a lot of zinc at the entrance, but that hardly qualifies to explore the rest of the dungeon), perhaps in the form of chests, and some meaner trick, like dropping acid fogs, some mind saves, sneak attacks, etc.

Something happened with the black dragon:
He acid breathed on us three times in a row, and then kinda stood there, like it was trying to cast an out of reach spell. So unless this particular dragon knows how to parry or counterspell, something borked out, but that could've been just NWN being a 2004 game or the server instability in general.

That's all for now.

That's all for now.

Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:41 am

Love the Shattered Badlands. They are a significant, themed, visual upgrade to the UD.

I just started tonight, but will try to take notes as I go.

First small thing: Frogs enemies are not animals, thus empathy and spells don't work on them properly. NPC frog spawns are though...and everything works as intended.

The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:40 pm

Iceborn wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:55 am

What aren't great are the Towering Foundry Golems.
We managed to kill all mobs outside with relative ease with a party of 3 lvl 30 meleers, but there was one type of mob that I didn't like.
The Towering Foundry Golems slowed us down to a crawl every time we encountered one in the forge, and they spawned in groups of 3. They hit considerably harder and they have not the worst AB - this is OK- but they have a stupid high DR to everything and only a few types of damage went through. This is not OK. This sole mob seems to go against the diverse, myriad-mob design of the outside area and pretty much defeats the purpose of having mixed spawns when they are the only thing that is an actual threat, and simultaneously the hardest one to bring down by far.

On another note, as we entered the forge room boss it was completely overfilled with enemies, and we ended up very slowly fighting at the door, as they were stuck and had no way to go through. Since the other door was locked, we couldn't go around to flank them either to make better sense of the space and the map geometry.

I don't know if Rust monsters are scripted to work as one would suspect they do, and if they are, that'd make them very scary opponents.

Something happened with the black dragon:
He acid breathed on us three times in a row, and then kinda stood there, like it was trying to cast an out of reach spell. So unless this particular dragon knows how to parry or counterspell, something borked out, but that could've been just NWN being a 2004 game or the server instability in general.

Cut the parts I wanted to respond to - The Towering Foundry Golems, the Rust Monsters and the Black Dragon all spawned because you were level 30. At the appropriate level for the writs none of these appear.

Thanks for the rest of the feedback, will look at getting these things fixed!

Azensor

Post by Azensor » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:34 pm

The ore node and ancient wood node near the riders peak boss, can you even access those still?
walked around it a few times looking for a climb spot or a lasso spot looked like you couldnt get to them.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:50 pm

Scrap Golems, when defeated, turn into remains and drop only the 'stolen treasure' items.

Still having the blood rider problem. I've completed three writs there, been doing loops, and am at 4 of 8.

The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Peacelily

Post by Peacelily » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:32 pm

Azensor wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:34 pm

The ore node and ancient wood node near the riders peak boss, can you even access those still?
walked around it a few times looking for a climb spot or a lasso spot looked like you couldnt get to them.

Climb spot on the Commander side, but it's not easily visible and summons tend to path into it

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:12 pm

I just did all of these on a level 20 Warlock, most of it seemed fine, relatively easy as I was at the end of the level range, I assume.

Inside the Scrap Foundry, I am not sure if I was missing something but there were dozens of locked doors with no obvious (or hidden) lever as far as I could see. I could bash through them, but it took me a good while, any lower damage build is just going to get stuck I feel. If I missed some level or key, then disregard this feedback.

I could not find a single Deranged Artificer for one of the writs (which requires 3). I am unsure if I missed some semi-hidden area or if they are a random spawn and I got unlucky.

On the Waste Dump I apparently killed the Mind Frog without noticing and I was on the lookout for it. Maybe make it larger, or have some sort of VFX, it just went unnoticed by me among the other frogs and that area's particular visuals.

Theme and visual-wise I think this is a great improvement to what used to be a very old area.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:50 am

Found a missing water texture at the pinned location directly in front of the PC. Area info in the screenshot.

A1RMAN

Post by A1RMAN » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:11 am

Overall, I really enjoyed the new areas!

Small notes:

• As was previously mentioned, golem corpses leave "stolen treasure" instead of normal loot
  • If you're on a "Badlands I" writ, the kills you're getting don't seem to register in the southern part of Badlands. Didn't count the Artificer kills for me.
  • You cannot rest anywhere outside, but you can rest inside the Waste area.
  • And this is what one of the bandits said instead of his battlecry: https://imgur.com/a/eGfAZ5B

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:17 pm

A1RMAN wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:11 am

Overall, I really enjoyed the new areas!

Small notes:

• As was previously mentioned, golem corpses leave "stolen treasure" instead of normal loot
  • If you're on a "Badlands I" writ, the kills you're getting don't seem to register in the southern part of Badlands. Didn't count the Artificer kills for me.
  • You cannot rest anywhere outside, but you can rest inside the Waste area.
  • And this is what one of the bandits said instead of his battlecry: https://imgur.com/a/eGfAZ5B

I noticed that if you kill an an Artificer with one of their two weaknesses then the kill doesn't count. However if you kill them in a normal method it then counts. Which makes sense as the weakness is a one shot kill with a cantrip spell.

My decency

Post by My decency » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:20 pm

Scrap Golems. Any way to tune their explosion at all? It's pretty frustrating to get stuck in a huge group, kill the golem, and lose all the loot because it just one shots everything when they pop

Elizabeth 'Jezebel' Kingsley
Yesthyra 'Yessy' Rosewillow
Alais Kingsley
Hunter548 wrote:Sun elves are culturally evil by any standard that isnt slobbing corellons knob

Twohand
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Twohand » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:47 pm

Edens_Fall wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:50 am

Found a missing water texture at the pinned location directly in front of the PC. Area info in the screenshot.

This is fixed.

My decency wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:20 pm

Scrap Golems. Any way to tune their explosion at all? It's pretty frustrating to get stuck in a huge group, kill the golem, and lose all the loot because it just one shots everything when they pop

I replaced their death explosion script, let us know how it feels now.

My decency

Post by My decency » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:14 am

Dragonovith wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:47 pm
My decency wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:20 pm

I replaced their death explosion script, let us know how it feels now.

Much better! Thanks a bunch :D

Elizabeth 'Jezebel' Kingsley
Yesthyra 'Yessy' Rosewillow
Alais Kingsley
Hunter548 wrote:Sun elves are culturally evil by any standard that isnt slobbing corellons knob