New pixie model

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

chris a gogo

New pixie model

Post by chris a gogo » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:58 am

So the long awaited change is here.

I hate it my characters weapons are not scaled to it's size it's stave is twice it's own size.
It's skin colour is now all wrong and I have no way to change.
Also it's too big my character is basically now a halfling
Most important of all it doesn't fly.
The models hit box is huge compared to it's size I can hover my cursor an inch over it's head and still be clicking on the character.
The wing animation when running is ugly.
Will the removal of the pixie skin mean we get DM alterations to the base character to make it look like a pixie you know despite the lack of flying!

Pro's.
I can make my pixie look like a halfing with elven features.
If I wear a cloak I can hide the annoying wings.

MalKalz
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: New pixie model

Post by MalKalz » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:13 pm

I’m glad you are enjoying the appearance so much and have yet to wait 24 hours to express your enjoyment to properly adjust to it.

Let’s dissect your hatred.

1) They are scaled. But they are being scaled down about 20% further. So you’ll see a slight change soon.

2) You used to be a static model that was green and another shade of green. You now have flexibility. If you need to adjust, request a transfer to the character editor room. A DM can help. But otherwise, it’s an improvement.

3) It is bigger, but it’s also not as ridiculously small as it used to be. You’ll have to get used to it.

4) Correct, there is no flight animations. We can work on a winged creature short flight script and ability if we wanted to. We also have an animation but it has to look right and feel right. Other winged creatures don’t fly, so you’ll get used to it.

5) Hitbox is respective of the base model - it’s at least clickable unlike the previous one. The old one should never have been allowed given the size of it. Now someone can actually click you in a fight. But if it’s too large and is something we can tweak, we’ll review further.

6) ugly how? Is it too fast, too slow?

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:40 pm

I’m glad you are enjoying the appearance so much and have yet to wait 24 hours to express your enjoyment to properly adjust to it.

Funny doesn't take long to realize you don't like something when your pixie turns into a halfling with pointy ears, if fact i disliked it moments after logging in and after alot of messing about the the heads and clothing editor I still hated the fact it's bigger than alot of halflings.

1) They are scaled. But they are being scaled down about 20% further. So you’ll see a slight change soon.

The term Pixie is used to refer to something very small tiny even, in fact in game pixies fit into small bottles as in the bottled fey.
They are not halfling sized which they still will be when made 20% smaller.

2) You used to be a static model that was green and another shade of green. You now have flexibility. If you need to adjust, request a transfer to the character editor room. A DM can help. But otherwise, it’s an improvement.

Been trying to get a DM for 3 weeks I'm a casual player most of the time so it's my fault I can't get one, also my play times are generally during low population times, so thats not to likely.

4) Correct, there is no flight animations. We can work on a winged creature short flight script and ability if we wanted to. We also have an animation but it has to look right and feel right. Other winged creatures don’t fly, so you’ll get used to it.

Pixies move by flying they don't walk around if you don't fly your not a pixie, your a Sidhe or another type of fey.

6) ugly how? Is it too fast, too slow?

Ugly as in it moves far to fast.

Now I spent a major award on the pixie which I've been trying to get for the last 10+ years, had I wanted to play a halfling with wings i'd of put in a request for it or gone RRD.
Same if i had wanted to play a satyr or red cap or any other "fey" creature but I wanted the pixie which frankly it now isn't as it's more like a Sidhe.
Which if anyone wants to play a Sidhe you have the model ready for them.

I'd like my major award back due to the base race being changed into something else.

As i side note does this mean wizards now summon halflings to pick locks for them?

MalKalz
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by MalKalz » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:49 pm

I'd like my major award back due to the base race being changed into something else.

No. Arelith is a sandbox environment and things change. You are not granted a refund if you dislike it. You have the flexibility to choose a new character and earn another major.

As i side note does this mean wizards now summon halflings to pick locks for them?

No.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:04 pm

Pixies are actually supposed to be small, not tiny. NWN got that wrong.

Pixies are 1‒2.5 ft (30‒76 cm) while halflings are 2′8″‒3′4″ (81‒100 cm)

Given the issues with targeting such a small model (no Oddjob plz), it makes sense to limit the lower end of that range.

Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Carrion Eater

Post by Carrion Eater » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:19 pm

re: chris, deep breaths. A few days ago it was posted that there was an intricate code for handling the fey models and that "elf with wings" was not the method they'd be going with, so there might still be more potentials on the horizon. I will have excitement and hope for now :D

WING MOTION: The wing motion on idle is very fast. I get motion sick (cyber-sick?) and when we were trying to change the wing colors to see the difference of Translucent vs. Metallic, I had to just close out after a bit because the constant speed-flicker from multiple sources was difficult for me to watch. If there is a way to slow down the idle wing motion, i feel it would be a benefit- doubly for me from a health level. Aside from my personal opinion, others also agreed that the super-flicker of the wings was distracting and just made them want to scroll out and not watch the game/scene unfurling.

WING COLORS: We did have trouble with seeing wing changes in the first place. For those who haven't tried it, it's tied to your tattoo colors. You choose Translucent (wings become translucent with colors) or Metallic (wings become shiny with colors) and then change your tattoo color. The problem we had was that the wings would not refresh. I'm unsure if this is a limitation. 1 out of 6 people was able to get them to refresh, though he wasn't sure how. I assumed it may have been equipping and unequipping a cloak (similar to how you can refresh head leather/cloth/metal parts with -hood x2), as I'd stepped away at the time. Allegedly, someone later said they lost their wings on equipping and unequipping a cloak, though I cannot confirm that.

(edit: for the one who WAS able to get the wings to change and was using Translucent, it's very cool!! I love it.)

Nothing else really popped out to us besides those two points for feedback on the immediate change. However, while we were trying to handle it, one of us experienced this bug and was unable to equip any clothing or armor pieces. The bug is now much more noticeable when it happens, since we don't have the nondynamic pixie to hide behind!

When I asked them how it happened, they explained:

I used the edit armor area: rest, 4, 1, 1 "loading this might take some time". It changed the armor I was wearing, unequipped it, then didn't let me wear any other armor.

Last edited by Carrion Eater on Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:20 pm

Carrion Eater wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:19 pm

Allegedly, someone later said they lost their wings on equipping and unequipping a cloak, though I cannot confirm that.

I've had this happen with my gloaming before - I was messing around with cloaks, too, changing both appearances and colours.

PS I think this looks awesome.

Cthuletta

Post by Cthuletta » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:49 pm

MalKalz wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:13 pm

That'd be so cool for fey/gloamings/RDD/fey'ri!! I hope it's get put in some day.

The 'pixies' are very large, in comparison to halflings, but so are gloamings which are (lore-wise) around the same size as a halfling but mechanically bigger in Arelith.
It's useful to differenciate them a bit, not too hard to kinda ignore it for the sake of how the scripts work. I imagine pixies/petals/other-wee-fey will be seen very much the same way after we get used to it, or if they get scaled down a little. Just takes a lil' time since it's a different visual.

All I wanted to say, really. I quite like this change for the variety it offers, but I also don't play a fey so I acknowledge it doesn't directly effect me. Just very much a fey-enthusiast IRL. :mrgreen:

Juniper Oakley - A Little Bitey

Ny'aza 'Peggy' Philor'tyl - Travelling
Tiffa Took Hss'tafi - Happy in Sigil

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:47 pm

I would like to point out that pixies get smaller as the versions go along in 5e they are topping out at12 inches tall which is the kind of height you expect for a pixie.
Plus that's what people expect the size of pixies to be thanks to myth and Hollywood.
We don't want the giant mutant pixies of 3.5e

What do we want TINY PIXIES!
When do we want them NOW!

:)

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:13 am

MalKalz wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:49 pm

Stuff

I love the direction the Team is going in with the pixie changes and all the future opportunities it will open up. I, for one, can't wait for Unseelie and the chance to play one of their kin. (PS - Sidhe are super awesome lore-wise).

Know that for every issue, bug, or negative comment many more players are pleased. It just so happens that the happy masses rarely speak up about their contentment.

Mamma ama Warlock

Post by Mamma ama Warlock » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:19 am

Edens_Fall wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:13 am

Know that for every issue, bug, or negative comment many more players are pleased. It just so happens that the happy masses rarely speak up about their contentment.

Yes, that. It is an interesting update, and with fey being a Greater Award it does open the gates for some fun shenanigans.

As for feedback, the things that stuck out to me like a sore thumb:

1. The frequency with which the wings flutter. It is high when idle, and even higher when moving. It could probably be slowed down by 30-40%.
  2. The stump to which the wings are attached. I hope there is a way to mask it. Tried doing so with a cloak, but it removes the wings altogether somehow.

Otherwise, a great change. And if flight animations get added
THAT
WOULD
BE
SO
AWESOME!

Last edited by Mamma ama Warlock on Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kalthariam

Post by Kalthariam » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:12 am

Could make flying animations the "Sprinting" animation for characters that have the winged character feat.

MartialHag

Post by MartialHag » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:12 am

Just to make it clear, the Race is called "Fey", not "Pixie". It's just that the Pixie Model was the one being used for the race but it's supposed to be Fey in general and not just Pixies. There seems to be confusion about that in some replies here.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:04 am

To be clear the race is called pixie as it says pixie on the character sheet not Fey.

AnselHoenheim
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by AnselHoenheim » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:15 am

I don't understand this consistency, if the pixie model now is halfling sized, what gives familiars are not? When it is the same creature in theory?

And of course, there's also the polymorph spell that is also suffering of this same issue, you get the small pixie model, instead the new dynamic one.

satan

Post by satan » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:11 pm

I've been trying to figure out for my own rps sake what kind of fey these are that stand taller than my 3-4 foot goblin. I'm really needing to suspend my disbelief and disregard wysiwyg trying to imagine these huge creatures as pixies.

And if they aren't pixies than which of the many varieties of fey are we looking at here?

Xyxz - Goblin spider druid. RIP
Flail - Orog weapon master RIP
Krom - Half orc Barbarian RIP
Glyngolyn - Firbolg Shadowdancer RIP
Jigjog - the least industrious Kobold ACTIVE
Muck - munching on carion. ACTIVE

MartialHag

Post by MartialHag » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:41 pm

chris a gogo wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:04 am

To be clear the race is called pixie as it says pixie on the character sheet not Fey.

On selection it says "Fey", not "Pixie". The Pixie on the sheet is due to the Pixie Skin being applied to the Character.

I agree that Pixie concepts essentially got ruined because you cannot justify it with their current size but the new Model allows for a far bigger variety of Fey. Maybe allowing people either the static Pixie skin or the dynamic Fey Model at creation would be feasible ?

Last edited by MartialHag on Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MartialHag

Post by MartialHag » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:01 pm

MalKalz wrote:

5) Hitbox is respective of the base model - it’s at least clickable unlike the previous one. The old one should never have been allowed given the size of it. Now someone can actually click you in a fight. But if it’s too large and is something we can tweak, we’ll review further.

The Hitbox is twice the size of the Model in height and 3-4 times towards the sides, so some tweaking would be good, current hitbox is worse than the Grey Render one. The flapping wings continously shift the hitbox aswell, especially in the back where you could row 3-4 Fey behind another before exiting the hitbox. It just really screws with click movement and clicking on others (aka Enemies) that are close-ish to the Fey is outright impossible unless they stand directly in front of you and you turn the Camera right.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:18 pm

On selection it says "Fey", not "Pixie". The Pixie on the sheet is due to the Pixie Skin being applied to the Character.

I agree that Pixie concepts essentially got ruined because you cannot justify it with their current size but the new Model allows for a far bigger variety of Fey. Maybe allowing people either the static Pixie skin or the dynamic Fey Model at creation would be feasible ?

But it doesn't allow for more variety as the only type of fey your currently allowed to play is a pixie.
Now yes you can't justify making a new pixie as well it's clearly not one with the whole WYSIWYG, but whatever they settle on being the "new" fey type is still only going to be the one type.
Doesn't open it up to evil fey or satyr, brownies ect. just means the current pixies will have embrace the magical mutation into whatever new fey type they decide it is.
Or change all other pixies to look like the new model.
I mean this was supposed to allow pixies to be male or female, not a different species.

good man of god
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by good man of god » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:48 pm

I'm not a fan of the pixie/fey change either, it's a very jarring change from the planned concept and character I've been working on since spending my reward.

Also, the wings aren't flush to the character model, they are pinned onto a rectangular box thing that is jutting out of the character's back.

It's like their wearing a fancy dress costume, so not great.

I'm not sure what I am supposed to be anymore with this character, an elf? With wings?

We went from base race halfling > fey > elf with wings.

The character had great interactions with floating, sitting on friend's shoulders, being a captivating odd entity.

Big character changes like these, I believe, should be play-tested, like what sometimes happens with new area installations.

Was the community consulted on their views before these big character altering changes went live? I doubt it.

Previous:
Tornius Daressin
Matthew Daressin-Gravelle
Asvusha (Blake Lynk)
Sebastian Webster

Current:
Inkwell Thornwhisper

good man of god
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by good man of god » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:50 pm

MartialHag wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:01 pm
MalKalz wrote:

The Hitbox is twice the size of the Model in height and 3-4 times towards the sides, so some tweaking would be good, current hitbox is worse than the Grey Render one. The flapping wings continously shift the hitbox aswell, especially in the back where you could row 3-4 Fey behind another before exiting the hitbox. It just really screws with click movement and clicking on others (aka Enemies) that are close-ish to the Fey is outright impossible unless they stand directly in front of you and you turn the Camera right.

+1, the hitbox sorely needs correcting

Previous:
Tornius Daressin
Matthew Daressin-Gravelle
Asvusha (Blake Lynk)
Sebastian Webster

Current:
Inkwell Thornwhisper

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:05 pm

apparently pixies are supposed to be 2-3 feet tall in canon, which I didn't know until recently

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:38 am

According to FR wiki it's 1-2.5 feet from 1st edition to 5th.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:19 am

Absolutely love this change! The wings being able to be adjusted for tattoo 1 + 2 is awesome.

I do have a few suggestions around how fey are treated for Arelith now that we're able to see a bit more in the way of unique outfits/designs and character portrayal. These really could just be slight manual changes on request, since DMs are already making slight changes manually for people.

https://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Fey wrote:

There is a planned update for fey to be given additional models or adjusted. While currently allowed, evil fey may want to note a change will be needed in the future.

Potential Seelie representations of the fey model include: Grigs , Nixies, Petal (slightly smaller than in game representation), and Pixies (exactly what is represented).

Potential Unseelie representations of the fey model include: Quicklings, Winterlings, Shaedling, and Spriggan.

Current setup represents:
Grigs - with cricket legs, maybe peg-leg outfits could do this!
Petals - a bit smaller than what you see in game, but works
Pixies - exactly as represented in game
Winterlings - pretty much a pixie but with jagged edge ice wings, probably needs colour 61 on Tattoo 1, with a white or blue for Tattoo 2 if you want that jagged ice effect
Shaedling - 4ft tall

Current setup minus the wings:
Maybe a DM could be asked to remove the wings for these?
Quicklings
Nixies (as tall as 4ft)

Current setup minus the wings, elf changed to gnome:
No idea if DMs are willing to change phenotypes.
Spriggan - no wings, gnome body old netherese-magic-warped weirdos
Redcaps - wear big iron boots, a red cap + beard (we even have the gnome head model for this!!)

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.

Fain

Post by Fain » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:30 am

I am enjoying the change overall, but I am having trouble clicking objects in front of my character because the wings flap into the way a lot.
It leads to having to manipulate my camera to find an angle that the wings aren't fluttering between my cursor and whatever I'm trying to interact with. Is any sort of QoL change available there, to make it easier to click past the model's wings?