Wiz & Sorc Adjustments

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

AstralUniverse

Re: Wiz & Sorc Adjustments

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:33 am

should I have written {insert name of protector-of-cordor knight dude} instead? point is this part of the update is probably not gonna stick very long.

Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Mamma ama Warlock

Post by Mamma ama Warlock » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:59 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:18 am

Actually, I think most mechanics savvy players would never assume this update was done with pvp in mind.
Think about the wizard, who didnt invest in Discipline, so they can give their party as powerful buffs as possible, not even participating in the battle at all, not entering any risk of getting KDed by Thomas Castemont, not even having to be online, now making their allies semi dispel immune almost, with 33 cl vs dispels while they raid Cordor.

If that was done with pvp in mind, it was an awful idea.

I see how that can be problematic, but that is an investment on a wizard's part. TBH this feels like a can of 'What if' worms with a multitude of variables, the biggest one being "both sides can have it". But yeah, it gives a sizeable advantage to players who use it VS the players who don't when deliberate preparation is involved. Bribe the wizard who does that, protec them, and ask them to rest when the raid is in full swing :lol:

Security_Blanket

Post by Security_Blanket » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:39 am

Kalthariam wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:34 pm

One day 20 Sorcerer 10 RDD will be more than just a meme. :(

It's one of the only two classes that allows you to even take the class and it has no synergy. Q_Q

I dream of this day, if any class deserves caster levels it's Dragon Disciple. I've wanted to make a Sorcerer Dragon Disciple so bad, I'm really digging the concept, but the build SUCKS.

Draco Deleteur
Dreadlord Lucius Blackhand - "All is as Bane wills it."

Beary Nice

Post by Beary Nice » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:56 am

It's an amazing change for PvE builds, PvP cookie cutter template builds, and pure builds (uncommon) without being too much. It opens up many more builds and strengthens existing ones in a way that people have been complaining about for a long time.

These edge cases are so specific that I am baffled they are being brought up.

Great change.

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:17 pm

I think it is a great change and I personally love pure classes being the epitome of their class with some special cookie, while classes with dips get far greater flexibility and often far more mechanical power.

I am old school and lament the focus arelith has had for some time on balance about PvP first and foremost, but if there is fear about pure wizards/sorcs, then just have a dispel whatever of 33 be for the caster himself/herself. A master who has focused solely on his craft instead of magically being able to withstand a dragon knocking them down in a single day thanks to dipping has learned to ensure his magical protections remain.

Though breach is still a thing and most of the important protections can be stripped without a save with one casting of a spell.

The counter? A dwarf's fart can KD them.

Good lord, something simple and balanced for PvP? Say it isn't so! :)

Now are the wizards known as arelith devs/coders able to make it so that only the caster gets the benefit? I have no idea, but these folk have created some black magic already with their coding skills that is frankly genius which I have never seen anywhere else able to do, so I would not put it past them.

FurnishMyFlatForCheap

Post by FurnishMyFlatForCheap » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:50 pm

Griefmaker wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:17 pm

I think it is a great change and I personally love pure classes being the epitome of their class with some special cookie, while classes with dips get far greater flexibility and often far more mechanical power.

I am old school and lament the focus arelith has had for some time on balance about PvP first and foremost, but if there is fear about pure wizards/sorcs, then just have a dispel whatever of 33 be for the caster himself/herself. A master who has focused solely on his craft instead of magically being able to withstand a dragon knocking them down in a single day thanks to dipping has learned to ensure his magical protections remain.

Though breach is still a thing and most of the important protections can be stripped without a save with one casting of a spell.

The counter? A dwarf's fart can KD them.

Good lord, something simple and balanced for PvP? Say it isn't so! :)

Now are the wizards known as arelith devs/coders able to make it so that only the caster gets the benefit? I have no idea, but these folk have created some black magic already with their coding skills that is frankly genius which I have never seen anywhere else able to do, so I would not put it past them.

Breach takes care of just about anything you really need gone. If I can’t dispel your owls wisdom I do not care.

These changes are quite welcome. I’ve said before I don’t think we are as hard up as people let on. We could maybe bump DC a little on ESF investment and a few minor things and be very comfortable.

Biolab00
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Biolab00 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:44 am

What is deadly about dispel is the ability to strip away spells without limits ( if your dispel CL is horrible ) and also the following critical buff that is probably going to Omph you when it's gone -

1) Haste ( This is probably the killing factor, no matter for mundane or spell caster )
2) Bull's strength ( If you're having over the limit )
3) Cat's Grace & Barkskin
4) Endurance ( Effectively 60 - 90 HP loss )
5) Death ward
6) All the cleric buffs such as divine power / divine might / war cry etc

FurnishMyFlatForCheap

Post by FurnishMyFlatForCheap » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:00 am

Biolab00 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:44 am

What is deadly about dispel is the ability to strip away spells without limits ( if your dispel CL is horrible ) and also the following critical buff that is probably going to Omph you when it's gone -

1) Haste ( This is probably the killing factor, no matter for mundane or spell caster )
2) Bull's strength ( If you're having over the limit )
3) Cat's Grace & Barkskin
4) Endurance ( Effectively 60 - 90 HP loss )
5) Death ward
6) All the cleric buffs such as divine power / divine might / war cry etc

1. 33CL is not dispel proof
  2. We have stacks of 100 potions. Drink one.
  3. Gravity orbs make this a non issue, You could gear more than +7 if you choose to do so
  4. AC loss does not make you unable to defeat your opponent. You could gear more than +7 if you choose to do so.
  5. You could gear more than +7 if you choose to do so.
  6. DC’s are pointless right? So who uses death spells
  7. I dunno man. Sometimes you get dispelled.

It wouldn’t let me start at 0 for some reason just bump the numbers by one

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:07 am

Tell me you're a wizard player without telling me

Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Mamma ama Warlock

Post by Mamma ama Warlock » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:13 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:07 am

Tell me you're a wizard player without telling me

"You are weakened by exhaustion"