skin color restrictions

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Waldo52

skin color restrictions

Post by Waldo52 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:39 am

The skin color restrictions that have been imposed are a little difficult. It would be one thing if we at least had the ability to cycle through a "next acceptable skin color" option, but I find myself standing in front of the prismatic mirror, typing in a number and getting "invalid selection" over and over.

Are the acceptable skin colors even listed anywhere?

As for feedback on colors that should be allowed:

126 and 127 are perfect lore appropriate skin tones for a drow, but they're blocked.

12, 168 and 158 are totally reasonable Caucasian skin tones for a human but they're blocked.

16 is a little more out there, but I think it's a flavorful skin tone for a vitamin D deprived basement dweller and I'd say reasonable for the underdark. It was blocked for humans.

Whosdis

Re: skin color restrictions

Post by Whosdis » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:33 pm

The skin color restrictions are really bad. It's for some reason impossible to make a fair-skinned Sun Elf now. I'm loathe to use the "wiki" for any sort of sourcing and going back to primary sources but all it takes is a glance to see that, yes, Sun Elves can be fair-skinned (and that happens to be the majority of their depictions).

Why are the provided options deep olive or darker?

Honestly, I have to go back and addend that this is one of the worst changes on this server at any time, ever.

Itikar

Post by Itikar » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:15 am

Since the wild elf award lock I have never seen big issues with skin colors not matching the lore of the race.

If it is as you describe, it feels a bit too restrictive indeed.

Spriggan Bride

Post by Spriggan Bride » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:35 pm

I tested it a little and I have to agree the restrictions are too confining. There are a lot of colors that should be acceptable that aren’t. I also wonder about cases like wanting to play unusual but legal characters like, for example, a gnome pale master with skin that’s more pale and grey than normal.

I think you ought to get a warning if you use a color that isn’t recommended. Not an outright block.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:31 pm

Spriggan Bride wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:35 pm

I tested it a little and I have to agree the restrictions are too confining. There are a lot of colors that should be acceptable that aren’t. I also wonder about cases like wanting to play unusual but legal characters like, for example, a gnome pale master with skin that’s more pale and grey than normal.

I think you ought to get a warning if you use a color that isn’t recommended. Not an outright block.

As written in the original announcement, we're willing to consider lore-appropriate additions to the list.

To make this process easier, please use the following template:

• Character Race: Moon Elf
  • Award Template: Fire Genasi
  • Missing Colour: 65
  • Screenshot: [insert image that shows the colour in-game]

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:37 pm

Who are they sending the template to? Or is it to be posted here?

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:43 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:37 pm

Who are they sending the template to? Or is it to be posted here?

In here. We'll review them and expand the validation lists of each race accordingly.

Whosdis

Post by Whosdis » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:52 pm

Character Race: Sun Elf
Award Template: N/a
Missing Colour: 0, 1, 2

Screenshots omitted, it's the default warm tone fair skin option descending to get darker.