Quarter timers

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Xarge VI

Re: Quarter timers

Post by Xarge VI » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:03 am

I'm glad to hear that the timer is being increased. I agree that 7 days is very reasonable for those high demand properties.

But normal quarters. Aka. Those outside the bidding system should be able to be enjoyed by even more casual players and those of us with busy lives so 14 days is much better for them.

Biolab00
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Biolab00 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:43 am

backlands wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:17 pm

We've looked into this suggestion and the discussion around it and have decided that it is time to make this change. I'll be working on updating database records for Quarters with a one week timer to have a longer two week timer across the board. Note that this change will not affect Shops, they will remain with their existing one week timer.

Please be patient as I make this adjustment, it is a rather involved process that I have to go through for each quarter so you may not see the change immediately. I will update this thread once I have completed the work.

This question that i'll pose, does not have any obligation to receive your response but i'll still bite the bullet and ask.

Under the assumption that this topic is handled properly as a /suggestion/, it takes just one single day for the topic to be raised, discussed, approved and even executed.
Perhaps, the players may be given the compelling reason for this change to be executed so swiftly so that we may understand.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:01 am

I’m really not sure why you've decided to post so aggressively about this but please do try to act with some tact and consideration when you post on this forum.

Ignoring all negative implication you’re trying to post with, these reasons are quite mundane.

Developer reads something on forums/discord.
Developer also thinks it is a good idea/in game annoyance.

Developer mentions in dev chat about thing.
Dev team (or Irongron sees and agrees)
Developer figures won’t take long so they will do it.

That’s it. There really is nothing else to it.

Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:08 am

backlands wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:17 pm

We've looked into this suggestion and the discussion around it and have decided that it is time to make this change. I'll be working on updating database records for Quarters with a one week timer to have a longer two week timer across the board. Note that this change will not affect Shops, they will remain with their existing one week timer.

Please be patient as I make this adjustment, it is a rather involved process that I have to go through for each quarter so you may not see the change immediately. I will update this thread once I have completed the work.

Thank you!

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:19 am

Xerah wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:01 am

I’m really not sure why you've decided to post so aggressively about this but please do try to act with some tact and consideration when you post on this forum.

Ignoring all negative implication you’re trying to post with, these reasons are quite mundane.

Developer reads something on forums/discord.
Developer also thinks it is a good idea/in game annoyance.

Developer mentions in dev chat about thing.
Dev team (or Irongron sees and agrees)
Developer figures won’t take long so they will do it.

That’s it. There really is nothing else to it.

Yep, this very much sums it up.

In this case I read it, agreed, and posted to code team 'Read this thread, and agree. If any dev wants to change quarters so there is a 2 week minumum - go for it'

And that's it. If a dev wants to work on something, and I agree, then how quickly or slowly it happens depends of the difficulty, and their available time.

As a pkayer I see plenty of vacant vaults and quarters, but if there are areas that badly need more, if only a set of vaults let I or Twohand know in a feedback thread.

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:17 pm

Suggestion box isn't closed, then?

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:49 pm

MRFTW wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:17 pm

Suggestion Box is closed.

If you have feedback about how an existing system works, then use the feedback forum. The difference between feedback and suggestion on an existing system is fairly murky.

The suggestion forum can be seen as something for new ideas (build me a clown dungeon) or large changes to existing systems (add a system for clowning that uses the bartender system).

The issue with the suggestion box is that it creates a massive pile of work. It's like having a to-do stack that never goes down. Someone has to read, assess, and reply. If someone doesn't, people get angry that their suggestions are being ignored (they are not). If a suggestion is approved, then it gives the impression that it will get done and people get annoyed when it's not done.

With feedback, there is no implicit requirement to do any of that. Developers just work on their stuff except sometimes they see something that they want to fix on an existing system and is as simple as 'Oh yeah, I'll do that'.

Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:56 pm

Xerah wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:49 pm
MRFTW wrote:

The difference between feedback and suggestion on an existing system is fairly murky.

That was the joke, but thanks for explaining it back to me, I guess.

backlands
General Admin
General Admin

Post by backlands » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:59 pm

Xerah wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:49 pm
MRFTW wrote:

Suggestion Box is closed.

If you have feedback about how an existing system works, then use the feedback forum. The difference between feedback and suggestion on an existing system is fairly murky.

The suggestion forum can be seen as something for new ideas (build me a clown dungeon) or large changes to existing systems (add a system for clowning that uses the bartender system).

The issue with the suggestion box is that it creates a massive pile of work. It's like having a to-do stack that never goes down. Someone has to read, assess, and reply. If someone doesn't, people get angry that their suggestions are being ignored (they are not). If a suggestion is approved, then it gives the impression that it will get done and people get annoyed when it's not done.

With feedback, there is no implicit requirement to do any of that. Developers just work on their stuff except sometimes they see something that they want to fix on an existing system and is as simple as 'Oh yeah, I'll do that'.

Just to add to this, the plan is to rework how we are structuring the Bug Reports and Suggestions boards to better facilitate our process. It was on MalKalz's backlog but with him taking a break from the server it will have to be handled by someone else (likely myself). Once we have the restructuring finished we will be opening the suggestion board again.

The reason for this is that these two sections got to a point where we could no longer manage the backlog and influx of new ideas. A restructure and cleanup is needed desperately in these boards, just look at the oldest open bug report we have (Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:44 am, 4 YEARS AGO!). I digress though, rest assured suggestions will open up once I have the opportunity to do the cleanup or someone else does.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:19 pm

From a DM perspective, I'm honestly not that worried about the quarter hogging aspect. It might make it a little easier sure, but dedicated hoggers will still hog. It's an ongoing issue that is difficult to solve however, because I don't think there's any easy mechanical solutions, so it has to be handled manually which, when there's literaly hundreds of properties to g o through, is nie impossible. We'll talk it over as a team though.

One aspect i am concerned over is that well...
It's not uncommon for people (and I include myself in this!) to win properties and not realize for a few days! Right now the worst case scenario is that a property goes unused for a week ,before it goes up for sale. Now that has turned into two weeks. That's quite a bit longer.

What I think would be really useful, if possible, and I say this for DMs AND for players, would be if when you won a property you got an alert upon logging on.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Azensor

Post by Azensor » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:59 am

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:19 pm

From a DM perspective, I'm honestly not that worried about the quarter hogging aspect. It might make it a little easier sure, but dedicated hoggers will still hog. It's an ongoing issue that is difficult to solve however, because I don't think there's any easy mechanical solutions, so it has to be handled manually which, when there's literaly hundreds of properties to g o through, is nie impossible. We'll talk it over as a team though.

One aspect i am concerned over is that well...
It's not uncommon for people (and I include myself in this!) to win properties and not realize for a few days! Right now the worst case scenario is that a property goes unused for a week ,before it goes up for sale. Now that has turned into two weeks. That's quite a bit longer.

What I think would be really useful, if possible, and I say this for DMs AND for players, would be if when you won a property you got an alert upon logging on.

ngl i usually keep a notepad handy when im house-hunting, just so i can keep track of where i bid