Bugbear Stats

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Blorg

Bugbear Stats

Post by Blorg » Wed May 01, 2024 8:23 am

Hello!

I don't think current bugbear stats are reflective of how they are in lore. In lore they are very strong and suprsingly sneaky. They are as smart as humans but their culture does not put any emphasis on knowldge and they are very hungry hunters. Current stats we got is:

Code: Select all

+2 CON, -4 CHA (or +2 DEX, -4 CHA with Bloodline of the Skirmisher)
+4 Hide
Bonus Feats: Darkvision, Use Posion

I assume 2 con is due to their large size but, they really need to have a bonus to strength I belive. And rather than use posion something like 2d6 brutal/sneak attack would be more fitting. I don't think they need a size bump up, as they are not as big as ogres. For stat penalty, I'm not sure if Cha or Wis is more appropiate but I really think they need to have a bonus to strength.

Waldo52

Re: Bugbear Stats

Post by Waldo52 » Wed May 01, 2024 6:22 pm

As the guy who wrote the suggestion post about making bugbears a playable race, I think I kind of agree that strength makes a slight bit more sense than constitution.

I wouldn't say it's a big problem, but you have a point.

The 2d6 sneak attack idea is just so trolltastic and flavorful for the race, I absolutely love it.

silverpheonix

Post by silverpheonix » Wed May 08, 2024 12:30 am

Waldo52 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 6:22 pm

As the guy who wrote the suggestion post about making bugbears a playable race, I think I kind of agree that strength makes a slight bit more sense than constitution.

I wouldn't say it's a big problem, but you have a point.

The 2d6 sneak attack idea is just so trolltastic and flavorful for the race, I absolutely love it.

I'd be a little concerned about power creep. Strength AND free 2d6 sneak?

Clayton on the Discord.

Lilith Vensurai: [Whisper] Dib's in charge of not exploding reality.
Johnathan Rigsby: [Whisper] This is unfair.

Algol

Post by Algol » Wed May 08, 2024 10:31 am

We have earth gensai half-orc with +4 STR(and 5% phsy immunity and considerable acid res) for only +1 ecl, so I don't it'd be power creep.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Wed May 08, 2024 2:11 pm

Algol wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 10:31 am

We have earth gensai half-orc with +4 STR(and 5% phsy immunity and considerable acid res) for only +1 ecl, so I don't it'd be power creep.

This is the correct answer. Half-orc earth genasi is optimal for a lot if not most of Strength builds and better than 99% of the other Strength award races, including Minotaurs and Half-Giants. I do not think Bugbear having +STR would be a big issue.