Which ISPs are Laggy?

Polls can be created by Patrons only (try-out for now)

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Which laggy ISP do you have?

AT&T
42%
Comcast
19%
Time Warner Cable
7%
Verizon
3%
Charter/Spectrum
7%
Google Fiber
No votes
Sprint
No votes
Cox
8%
Not Listed (Comment to have it added)
14%

Total votes: 59

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Which ISPs are Laggy?

Post by triaddraykin » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:11 am

So based off of a sneaking suspicion in viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17401, I'm wondering if AT&T is a commonly laggy ISP for us. This is the nearly-unplayable, lag-for-30-seconds that some people are experiencing.

If you don't see your ISP, post below and I'll add it. I can only do 10, so if only suggest ones that are actually lagging for people. Changing votes is enabled. At first, I'll only know US based ones, but I can edit the poll as we go along. If you hear anyone saying they're getting really bad lag, point them this way!
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

Atlantahammy

Re: Which ISPs are Laggy?

Post by Atlantahammy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:23 am

I get SOME lag, kinda chugging, but it's not unplayable.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:45 am

Just saying, for this sort of data to be usable, you also need to know how many people use each ISP.

e.g. if 90% of players use AT&T or Comcast, then they're also likely to show up in this poll as having almost all the issues.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:26 pm

I have unplayable lag and am on AT&T. The poll title might be unclear, could people reply with their ISP and the level of lag they have? If this is entirely an AT&T thing, well, we'll know the first step in fixing it. The problem is AT&T support is beyond terrible.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:05 pm

Comcast here, in Massachusetts not far from Boston, No lag on Arelith

Pakito

Post by Pakito » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:43 pm

Google Fiber here. No lag whatsoever.

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:31 pm

Given AT&T is being unhelpful another thing you can do is set up openVPN on Microsoft Azure, AWS, or other cloud server service; recommending cloud given you get a choice of where to deploy. i don't know how far the free tier will get you but even if you have to pay for it it shouldn't be that much given:

1) Split the cost with another
2) NWN doesn't use much data anyways
3) You don't need to rent a strong machine, your just passing traffic.
4) You don't need to keep it running 24/7 if you're in a position you don't need to use it (at work, or it's during the time of day where AT&T isn't laggy).

Might even end up cheaper for a single user compared to a pay-for VPN.

Just don't stream music/video/do heavy downloading on the device connected to the vpn.

Zaravella
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Zaravella » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:10 am

I have Verizon FIOS ..... and I'm not laggy when I play. But on rare occasions that I do have a little bit of lag, is when the server is full - Evenings on EST. But even then it's not a lot of lag at all.
"Power is not revealed by striking hard or striking often; But by striking true."
-Honore de Balzac-

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:06 am

To add this one all the way from the Netherlands, KPN is my ISP and no lag at all. The server is running as smooth as ever.

fudgemuffinator

Post by fudgemuffinator » Mon May 07, 2018 2:38 am

I use AT&T and get entirely unplayable amounts of lag. At the time of this posting, it's unplayable.
I have little to no lag when there's only 35~ players on each server. The lag starts getting bad at 45 players. It's completely unplayable, even when just chatting with multiple people, when it gets up to 60 players on each of the servers, much less 70 or 80.

When you play a healer, head out with a group and start a difficult fight, then freeze up for 10 seconds and unfreeze to find everyone dead... It sucks. T_T I retired that character for now.

dalkion

Post by dalkion » Sat May 12, 2018 8:41 pm

I know the feeling All too well as well about the healer. AT&T is really making it difficult for me to enjoy the game. I guess I'm lucky enough that my connection doesn't start acting up bad until the server pop hits 65-70 players. I tend to avoid playing between 4-10 PM CST Because of this. It's almost like clockwork how past 4 but before 5 the game starts getting reeeeeeal laggy but 10-10:30 the lag dies down significantly. Makes me almost wonder if there is some sort of throttling going on my end rather then the server. Hm.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Sun May 13, 2018 6:21 pm

Can Serbs post here?

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Fri May 18, 2018 11:40 pm

AT&T is definitely the problem here. Thankfully for me, my issue is solved since my brother switched the house to MetroNet. Its got really high speed, but apparently we're getting high latency, which isn't super noticable in NWN but not to great for WoW

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:58 pm

AT&T here. The lag during peak times makes things unplayable. People fading out of existance, or people who are straight up not there form my point of view (when they actually are there), or being unable to access my inventory are the most common effects. I've had wierd lag-related bugs pop up, like an entire note popping up as "" when I finished it.

Most of the time, I can hear -some- conversation and see some people move around, but i'm more or less paralyzed when these things happen

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:38 pm

AT&T fiber became available in the area, switching to it partially fixed the problem. Which is weird because it can't possibly be a bandwidth issue, my guess is either the fiber lines or the modem might connect differently. During primetime the problem returns, although usually not as bad as it was before.

ebonith
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by ebonith » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:56 pm

I have AT&T Fiber, which I love. However, AT&T does not like NWN, which I hate. The only way I can play without problems is use a VPN.

If you have AT&T, you simply can't make it work as intended without a VPN. A buddy of mine that I play with on Arelith has AT&T as well. Whenever one of us crashes or lags, the first question we ask the other is, "Is your VPN turned on?"
Characters
Miklaysee
Ezraki

Organizations
Tuain't Luth'ol

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:13 am

I have Docomo Pacific, and it is pretty laggy. I highly doubt anyone else has the same ISP as me though.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

CosmicOrderV
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by CosmicOrderV » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:39 am

Spectrum, US provider, and it's fairly laggy most of the time.
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm
I, too, struggle to know what is written in books without first reading them.

DeamonHeart

Post by DeamonHeart » Sat May 29, 2021 4:08 pm

I say cox - And I live in an area that is FULLY covered by MULTIPLE ISP providers. The reason I say this, (dramatic pause) is my roommate and I upgraded to the HIGHEST level.. of internet -SHORT- of getting a 1T line fiberoptic connection. AND at Peek hours. and by the second week.. OUT DL is capped and restricted.