Which Settlement is your favourite.

Polls can be created by Patrons only (try-out for now)

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Which settlement on Arelith is your favourite and why?

Cordor
12%
Guldorand
12%
Bendir
12%
Sencliff
5%
Myon
5%
Minmir(?)
2%
Andunor
25%
Brogendenstein
10%
Skaljard
10%
Other
8%

Total votes: 416

Apothys
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Which Settlement is your favourite.

Post by Apothys » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:16 pm

Mine is Sencliff of course.

One reason is due to the look and feel of the place, it actually feels like a pirate isle, with access to ships to ply the waves and lots of secret places scattered about for those willing to explore. The NPCs are great too and with the addition of additional areas in and around the cliff to level up it really is great. Theres also a feeling of danger on the cliff with can be quite atmospheric with shadowy and disguised figures constantly moving through the port.

Yet i think its more the characters that turn up on the cliff. There all absolutely bonkers and well themed, its truely a joy to be around them. Given that there be such a low amount of us we do get some interesting rp combined with the whole pirate vibe. Given these small groups on the cliff I do feel like im a part of something and can really make a name for myself and be involved in whats going on. In comparison to the bigger settlements were much of the great rp and events can pass you by if you are not around at the right time and sometimes you just seem to blend into the background no matter what you do due to the amount of players around. Not that this is a bad thing mind, its just harder to achieve.

So yeah while Sencliff does feel like Arelith hard mode given our pirate status, im a pirate for life!
Last edited by Apothys on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Talandis Tanor'Thal
Kalnafein Cress'delbarra
Tanis Thade
Merklynn Steelshadow II
Gulmyr Dro'Vaalvaz
Aerik Northman

-XXX-

Re: Which Settlement is your favourite.

Post by -XXX- » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:20 pm

Izlude's Torment for me :P

Apothys

Post by Apothys » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:21 pm

-XXX- wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:20 pm
Izlude's Torment for me :P
ohhh? whats that never heard of it?

Talandis Tanor'Thal
Kalnafein Cress'delbarra
Tanis Thade
Merklynn Steelshadow II
Gulmyr Dro'Vaalvaz
Aerik Northman

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:26 pm

Without spoiling too much... it's one of the NPC settlements in the Underdark.
It offers many cerebral activities!

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:29 pm

Skaljard. Best setting on our module.

Apothys

Post by Apothys » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:32 pm

Added Skaljard, totally missed that one doh!

Talandis Tanor'Thal
Kalnafein Cress'delbarra
Tanis Thade
Merklynn Steelshadow II
Gulmyr Dro'Vaalvaz
Aerik Northman

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:54 pm

Obvioussly, the Grotto. It is the most exclusive settlement and frankly, one of the most attractive. So long as you don't get bogged down by that "settlement" status.

redhawx

Post by redhawx » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:44 am

Brogendenstein.

Philly

Post by Philly » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:25 am

Brogendenstein.

HinAttack

Post by HinAttack » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:34 am

Brogendenstein.
Why is that not an option?

OleBlighty
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by OleBlighty » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:28 am

Literally only logged in to post this:
Brogendenstein. Shameful that it's not on the original list since it's one of the OG settlements from when there was just one Arelith server.
"Moradin's will! I ask ye, wish not one Dwarf more!
By Clangeddin, I am nae covetous for gold,
Nor care I for comely lasses!
Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
But if it be a sin tae covet honour,
I'm th' most offendin' soul alive!"

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:47 am

Guldorand tends to be very active so i hang out there alot. Cordor also often has stuff going on so i visit there as well.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:22 am

I really enjoyed the aesthetics of Light Keep =)

For current settlements? Probably Skaljard.

Grunf

Post by Grunf » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:05 am

Brogendenstein

Apothys

Post by Apothys » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:21 am

Unforgivable i know. Brog added.

Your able to change your votes.

Talandis Tanor'Thal
Kalnafein Cress'delbarra
Tanis Thade
Merklynn Steelshadow II
Gulmyr Dro'Vaalvaz
Aerik Northman

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:21 pm

Its between Bendir and Brogendenstein for me (I went with Brog due to the amazing community of dwarves) because of the history of both locations and all the changes over the years (in setting and in characters/community).

-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

Frykenstein

Post by Frykenstein » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:38 pm

Brogendenstein with Bendir a close second for being the two (in my experience) most inclusive settlements. This hasn't changed since I played Hanna Hornraven so it is good to see them going stronk :)

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:07 pm

As a player I would pick Bendir, it's in the middle of the island and I prefer the smaller races, but as a DM I would pick Skaljard, as it's well set up for storytelling.
Please don't feed my sister.

Aniel
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Aniel » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:23 pm

This is a little hard.

Thematically I enjoy Andunor and I do consider Andunor to be the best designed city in terms of the sheer number of quality of life features it has that makes it simply unrivaled

All of that being said my favorite theme is somewhere between Skaljard or Guldorand.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:38 pm

Aniel wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:23 pm
This is a little hard.

Thematically I enjoy Andunor and I do consider Andunor to be the best designed city in terms of the sheer number of quality of life features it has that makes it simply unrivaled

All of that being said my favorite theme is somewhere between Skaljard or Guldorand.
I been mildly surprised by certain not so advertised quality of life features of Sencliffe. Adundor is pretty great though.

Aniel
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Aniel » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:00 pm

malcolm_mountainslayer wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:38 pm
notif
I tried playing in Sencliff a long time and didn't stick with the character. I've popped in on a few occasions on others and I'm not sure how I feel about the layout. It probably just comes down to I haven't given it a proper look over and I've missed out on things.

Andunor has essentially everything within 2 transitions of the Hub, all of the merchants are pretty close together and the goblin takes pretty much everything. It's such a relief compared to say Cordor where you have to run between the Mercantile and Thoramind or the peddler outside of Thoramind's place.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:39 pm

Cordor

Player side it's a hot chaotic mess with something going on every day. The cheesy drama and the rampent chaos means there's almost always something going on, which I adore.

DM side, it's big enough with a great structure of things going on, to always dip into.

Objectivly speaking, I admit that Andunor is likely better from a design perspective. And as a player I see that. My only issue with Andunor (and this is very much a personal issue) is that it's hard for me to make any real emotive impact. It's difficult to present any interesting moral connundrums for pcs when there's basicaly no morality, which is why I rarely run events down there.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:22 am

Mechanically, Andunor. The areas are small (and, for me at least, don't crash anything like as often as Cordor does), easily navigable by a range of different options, with necessities easily in reach. There's one main stepping-off point, so you never feel like there might be a party going off somewhere you want to go if could just find them - Linger at the Hub, and you'll get an adventure sooner or later, even at slow times. The idea of all these different factions (Freth, Claddath, the Sharps, Port, and Table) with varying interests competing against each other on the low-down also makes for a cool bit of background flavor. It's really all you could ask for in a player experience. Aside from, perhaps, the Writmaster being hard to find if you don't know where to look.

Thematically, I'm all about Myon. It's a very cool, very Elven city, and wherever your thoughts fall on the Mythal it has meant that a lot of player-created fixtures have endured a good long time. There's a lot of history on display there. The lack of certain critical NPCs or straightforward access does make it less convenient to play in than other locations, unfortunately.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:39 pm

Aniel wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:00 pm
malcolm_mountainslayer wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:38 pm
notif
I tried playing in Sencliff a long time and didn't stick with the character. I've popped in on a few occasions on others and I'm not sure how I feel about the layout. It probably just comes down to I haven't given it a proper look over and I've missed out on things.

Andunor has essentially everything within 2 transitions of the Hub, all of the merchants are pretty close together and the goblin takes pretty much everything. It's such a relief compared to say Cordor where you have to run between the Mercantile and Thoramind or the peddler outside of Thoramind's place.
Without giving away too much about Sencliffe (it too like Adundor has some somewhat unique merchants)

When you first spawn you are 5 to 35 steps away from a buy anything, random supply guy, smuggler, scroll shop, jewelery shop, and a banker. And you are already level 3 and the guy who gives you ink is on transition zone away in the same place there is a guy who buys both furs and meat. (Right near plenty of available vaults too)

Did i mention you dont start with ink but are already lvl 3? You can sell that iron dagger to that guy right beside you and immediately smuggle yourself to your preferred place with no delivery request required. Granted the smuggling price is much cheaper as a pirate. I literally only had to travel topside on district of Cordor to get my jobs because archives and sewers are connected and then i could smuggle (i had not found sencliffe portal right away but smuggling is way more convenient anyways and dirt cheap as a pirate) or teleport my way back home with all my shops that i need in close reach along with potential rp oppurtunities on my return trips.

I been loving it because its like i been getting the best of both worlds of Skal and Cordor with my desired merchants not being all over the place and being able to do Cordor writs and I got plenty of rp out of it too.

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:16 am

Had to vote Sencliff simple for the vibe of the place.