Which Settlement is your favourite.

Polls can be created by Patrons only (try-out for now)

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Which settlement on Arelith is your favourite and why?

Cordor
12%
Guldorand
12%
Bendir
12%
Sencliff
5%
Myon
5%
Minmir(?)
2%
Andunor
25%
Brogendenstein
10%
Skaljard
10%
Other
8%

Total votes: 416

Xerah

Re: Which Settlement is your favourite.

Post by Xerah » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:50 pm

The Kriv wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:48 pm
Hazard wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:30 pm
I've always been jealous of Bendir's ability to lock their gate. It just gives me such a cozy feeling.
Same as Myon's mythal back in the day before everyone knew how to bypass it.

I like the feeling of getting back to town and actually feeling a bit safe. At least if it's a little racial settlement, like Bendir used to be (only halflings) and Myon.
+1

I really like the Mythal of Myon, and that it forces a racial-alignment-non-evil community -- granted the community of Myon is not as strong as in years past, but if the day comes that the Mythal goes away, I will be very blue.
On the other hand, the RP of the server and that of elves will be vastly improved as well as the settlement being much more popular.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:11 pm

Xerah wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:50 pm
On the other hand, the RP of the server and that of elves will be vastly improved as well as the settlement being much more popular.
Myon used to be jam packed of Elven players. And I recall at this time, towns like Guldorand were a veritable ghost town with a tiny fraction of people overall playing there. Other settlemetns got huge facelifts, and it drew (and continues to draw) giant player bases as their hub... giving cause for people to adventure elsewhere, has swelled other hub population as they are more excellent adventuring hubs.

Myon... I am sad to admit... has suffered by a lack of content at it's doorstep. It is in a great central location, but the systems in place to support adventuring players just aren't there.

So as the dedicated playerbase moved on, or left the server, Myon has been a hard-sell to get folk to come.

Just today I did RP with 2 elf players who's characters both admitted that they don't like Myon because it feels cold and distant.

Elves don't need a new settlement built elswere... Myon just needs better PR. ;)
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:15 pm

I do think that settlements such as bendir and myon tend to stagnate due to the restrictions imposed by their nature & the players invested in maintaining that status quo.

OleBlighty
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by OleBlighty » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:03 am

The Kriv wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:11 pm
Xerah wrote:
Myon used to be jam packed of Elven players. And I recall at this time, towns like Guldorand were a veritable ghost town with a tiny fraction of people overall playing there. Other settlemetns got huge facelifts, and it drew (and continues to draw) giant player bases as their hub... giving cause for people to adventure elsewhere, has swelled other hub population as they are more excellent adventuring hubs.

Myon... I am sad to admit... has suffered by a lack of content at it's doorstep. It is in a great central location, but the systems in place to support adventuring players just aren't there.

So as the dedicated playerbase moved on, or left the server, Myon has been a hard-sell to get folk to come.

Just today I did RP with 2 elf players who's characters both admitted that they don't like Myon because it feels cold and distant.

Elves don't need a new settlement built elswere... Myon just needs better PR. ;)
I'd enjoy seeing something that opened myon to more people. Perhaps an event or plotline could take place which would result in such an ending.
"Moradin's will! I ask ye, wish not one Dwarf more!
By Clangeddin, I am nae covetous for gold,
Nor care I for comely lasses!
Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
But if it be a sin tae covet honour,
I'm th' most offendin' soul alive!"

The Kriv

Post by The Kriv » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:23 pm

OleBlighty wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:03 am
The Kriv wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:11 pm
Xerah wrote:

I'd enjoy seeing something that opened myon to more people. Perhaps an event or plotline could take place which would result in such an ending.
Arelith Forest geography has a big blank spot in the center of it. Myon in ages past used to have lots of foot traffic, as folk would journey past it to while traveling back before the server was flooded with source/destination portals.

The location of the New Guldorand City high in the mountains... I am not understanding why the floating city of Myon just didn't MOVE to the Skull Crags... and then the new Guldorand Fortress? that becomes the Myon Stronghold that is BELOW the floating city of Myon.

The portal at the Temple of Silvauns can stay exactly as it is... as a portal that takes ELVES to Myon (Now located in the mountains)

And that big empty blank spot in the center of Arelith Forest (that is under Myon) can become a forest again instead of a deadspot.

Solved with the rename of the Fortress of Guldorand to the Fortress of Myon.

C'mon Evermeet... throw your IC support your elves of Arelith! Use your magic to move the floating city inside Arerlith forest to the the Floating City in the Mountains of the Skull Crags!
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Hanover Fiste

Post by Hanover Fiste » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:03 pm

Wharftown.....back in the day! *sniffle*

Nymann

Post by Nymann » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:59 am

Mine has to be Brogendenstein, mostly for the community.

My only issue with Brogendenstein is for a dwarven hall it feels very little and compact... It´s small and not very dwarven, except for thematic.

Aellowyn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aellowyn » Thu May 27, 2021 10:17 am

Taking into consideration I've had very little surface playtime;
Andunor/Underdark
Skaljard, is my choice for early levels.
Sibayed, I find myself gravitating towards.

<redacted> Main
<redacted> Drow Alt
<redacted> Slave Alt
<redacted> Elf Alt
<rolled> Barbaric Elf Alt
<redacted> Alts of alts alt

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Thu May 27, 2021 1:28 pm

For style? Guldorand. After exploring it more, the hidden nooks and crannies are so cool. The tileset is stunning. I. hope it flourishes more.

Nurel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nurel » Fri May 28, 2021 12:42 pm

Voted for Brogendenstein as I spend 99% of my time with dwarves and dwarf friends, playing a dwarf.

But was surprised to see Sencliff and Myon having so few votes, especially as opposed to Andunor which double scores all settlements with over 75, without even having a clear thematic direction whatsoever.

A cool flying city of elves and a pirate's haven full of colorful yarr characters should get more love imho

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri May 28, 2021 1:31 pm

Nurel wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 12:42 pm
Voted for Brogendenstein as I spend 99% of my time with dwarves and dwarf friends, playing a dwarf.

But was surprised to see Sencliff and Myon having so few votes, especially as opposed to Andunor which double scores all settlements with over 75, without even having a clear thematic direction whatsoever.

A cool flying city of elves and a pirate's haven full of colorful yarr characters should get more love imho
I think the reason for this - or part of the reason - is a lot of players seem to gravitate to certain areas. A lot of players tend towards either surface or underdark. The difference is that people who tend towards surface then have sub-factions within that. E.g. 'I tend to play dwarves' 'I tend to play elves' and as such they'll move towards one settlment or the other.
If you're someone who tends to play in the underdark you've not got lots of options. It's pretty much Andunor or bust.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Salasker

Post by Salasker » Fri May 28, 2021 9:04 pm

Cordor (no surprise there). Always something happening and always new people to meet. Whether that's new characters or new players to the server, it's a great place to find out stories and either help or nudge them along.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:19 am

I voted Bendir. That's where I committed many of my crimes. (Oink)

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:33 pm

Before the update I said Sibayad, but now I love Guldorand. It's design really feels like a city and the Founder's Charter allows for alot of wiggle room for both good and evil players. To me it feels the closest the Surface has to a Neutral settlement.

It's only down side is the low population when compared to the starting areas of Cordor, Andunor, and Skal. So it can feel empty at times.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:36 pm

What kills me about Guldorand is just how NWN works (top-down, 3rd person). A beautifully crafted city that is difficult to enjoy because it's too tight, congested, and sometimes difficult to navigate, especially in Freeport and near housing.

I say Bendir, despite rarely roleplaying there. It is such a perfect example of a hamlet that has a bit of life to it that reminds you there doesn't need to be just massive hubs.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:39 pm

One defiantly needs keyhole turned on when walking around Guldorand.

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:44 pm

Bendir is the best. Most central hub, always heavily populated, and none of the political/drama BS of the other settlements... not that BS is not fun of course but it gets excessive elsewhere.

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:24 pm

S K A L G A N G

Paint

Post by Paint » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:14 am

Bendir Dale. Which probably doesn't come as a surprise from me. To nitpick at it, it often feels a little isolated from the rest of the isle, and the entire population is averse to conflict, which means that it often feels like it's pretty stagnant, but there's something to be said about the stability of Bendir, and it means that when it's interrupted, it can be pretty powerful, even when it's something simple.

The things I like about it are basically just that everyone that frequents there has a pretty well and developed story around them and there's a pretty nice, tight sense of togetherness and community that really brings the whole place alive.

Also because it's so small everything's pretty tightly clustered together which helps. Cough.

Close second is Skal, though. Despite being a chaotic mess, I think that epics are dissuaded from staying means you can tell stories you otherwise wouldn't be able to tell.

Guld gets an honorable mention because I'm fond for the place and I've had a lot of good memories there, but I think new Guldorand is still really confused about what it wants to be, and I'm waiting for things to shake out.