Current TFs: Migration or Grandfather

Polls can be created by Patrons only (try-out for now)

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Would you rather your TF stay a TF or be migrated to Invoker?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:36 pm

Grandfather my TF
16%
Migrate my TF to an Invoker
14%
I don't play a TF, but I think they should be grandfathered.
22%
I don't play a TF, but I think they should be migrated.
34%
I don't play a TF, and I don't care if they're migrated or grandfathered.
14%

Total votes: 64

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Current TFs: Migration or Grandfather

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:34 pm

Drowboy wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:27 pm
Is there really, honestly, an answer for this that would be enough? The devs have said on this and every other grandfathering attempt that it makes things harder for them. Trying to balance mages, spells, spawns, etc, around weavemaster was hard enough it got chunked.

What kind of hypothetical future changes? Anything to sorc that would have to compensate for TF's existence (Or be coded around it to exclude TF, which is more work, and depending on what Arelith's scripts look like specifically, quite possibly a good deal of it) and if it's done on the hak level it's even worse.

Anything with evo spells? All those "please buff save or x spell" threads?
Emphasis mine- this part will do it for me. Believe it or not I didn't consider that part; I did put thought into them changing evocation spells, and I tunnel-visioned on it, since I couldn't come up with a change to an evocation spell they'd actually contemplate making that would simultaneously break true flames and shatter the meta, which is why I was asking for a specific example, so thank you.

It's still a very bittersweet feeling, though. The truth is I'd rather roll the character and have him retire as a true flame than have his established story and capabilities be shifted, and it's a tough pill to swallow that I need to just suck it up, because I'm essentially asking to turn down several major buffs so that I can keep my weaker build true to its RP.

Does anyone have an estimate on how much time I have to close the distance from 24 to 26 before the class is migrated?

Maybe I'll finally get a greater and use it to make an invoker...
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Amnesy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Amnesy » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:44 pm

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:34 pm
Drowboy wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:27 pm
Is there really, honestly, an answer for this that would be enough? The devs have said on this and every other grandfathering attempt that it makes things harder for them. Trying to balance mages, spells, spawns, etc, around weavemaster was hard enough it got chunked.

What kind of hypothetical future changes? Anything to sorc that would have to compensate for TF's existence (Or be coded around it to exclude TF, which is more work, and depending on what Arelith's scripts look like specifically, quite possibly a good deal of it) and if it's done on the hak level it's even worse.

Anything with evo spells? All those "please buff save or x spell" threads?
Emphasis mine- this part will do it for me. Believe it or not I didn't consider that part; I did put thought into them changing evocation spells, and I tunnel-visioned on it, since I couldn't come up with a change to an evocation spell they'd actually contemplate making that would simultaneously break true flames and shatter the meta, which is why I was asking for a specific example, so thank you.

It's still a very bittersweet feeling, though. The truth is I'd rather roll the character and have him retire as a true flame than have his established story and capabilities be shifted, and it's a tough pill to swallow that I need to just suck it up, because I'm essentially asking to turn down several major buffs so that I can keep my weaker build true to its RP.

Does anyone have an estimate on how much time I have to close the distance from 24 to 26 before the class is migrated?

Maybe I'll finally get a greater and use it to make an invoker...
It would require Admins' decision, yet it is worth a shot to draw their attention. Possibly, on the invoker release, the TF path is no longer selectable, but the automated script to migrate is not executed the same day, but a couple of weeks after to give people time to react with RP, one way or the other. Again, not my decision to make.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:13 pm

Amnesy wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:44 pm
It would require Admins' decision, yet it is worth a shot to draw their attention. Possibly, on the invoker release, the TF path is no longer selectable, but the automated script to migrate is not executed the same day, but a couple of weeks after to give people time to react with RP, one way or the other. Again, not my decision to make.
This would be awesome if it happens. If not, thank you anyway for the idea!
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Fava Beans

Post by Fava Beans » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:52 pm

So, as a long time TF main, ive done my fair share of complaining about the forced migration, though ive also been testing the new class on my TF, flushing out how it plays and feels, and trying to also provide valuable feedback that isnt just "make it as close to TF as possible"

the pgcc has limitation in testing, fortunately since i transfered my character i got put in the waiting room of the pgcc, which DOES get 5 minute ticks. despite the changes and how different elementalist is from TF, i can attest it is still remarkably similar. and will all the tweaks made so far it feels far more modernized compared to the TF. while i am sad that i have lost my divine synergy for role play reasons i have found workarounds, and already begun IC changes to my RP to reflect the coming changes.

while i would LOVE if i got grandfathered and could still be the horrible frankenstein build that i am, i can say that having followed along with the new class, and tested it as best i can i dont mind at all not being grandfathered. i dare say i am excited for this class to come out.

i have played around with dips and build structure and found i can remain almost exactly the same as i was before, while my level spread has changed, my feat choice has not at all changed, and i can maintain the near same level of burst damage as before.

while i will certainly miss the quirks and niche of the true flame a class that goes hand in hand to the majority of my time on arelith, this new class allows for a more varied approach to a true flame, which i have preached as being far more than just a class for spitting dps.

in short, i would love for TF to be grandfathered, but i would no longer vote that it should be grandfathered.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:13 am

In case anyone was wondering why grandfathering is frustrating and difficult from a developer’s view, see the following:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=38200
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:42 am

The latest Elementalist updates definitely feel more akin to the TF, and I especially love the glass cannon, emphasis being on both glass and cannon.

That said, with a migration, will we be able to get a level 0 stat change on existing TFs?

Amnesy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Amnesy » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:09 am

MissEvelyn wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:42 am
The latest Elementalist updates definitely feel more akin to the TF, and I especially love the glass cannon, emphasis being on both glass and cannon.

That said, with a migration, will we be able to get a level 0 stat change on existing TFs?
That is something Spyre does I think, worth checking with him or waiting for Kalopsia to finish amazing work with -setclass, as if I remember one day it might streamline it.

The grace period of 3 weeks should give enough time to make a transition ; )