Does Arelith needs more ships??

Polls can be created by Patrons only (try-out for now)

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Does Arelith needs more ships ??

Yes

72%

No

28%

Total votes: 87

Enertis

Does Arelith needs more ships??

Post by Enertis » Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:51 pm

Hello there,

I would like to propouse simple poll, does Arelith needs more ships ?? Does not need to be big ones, but I'd love have more long term rentals in every settlement, small ships.

Yes?
No?

Last edited by Enertis on Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

satan

Re: Does Arelith needs more ships??

Post by satan » Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:48 pm

The real question is...is there any down side to having too many ships?

I'd say not.

Xyxz - Goblin spider druid. RIP
Flail - Orog weapon master RIP
Krom - Half orc Barbarian RIP
Glyngolyn - Firbolg Shadowdancer RIP
Jigjog - the least industrious Kobold ACTIVE
Muck - munching on carion. ACTIVE

Nurel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nurel » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:58 am

The key factor here is that currently a ship doubles as a quarter, which is also unbreakable (quarter breakers can't enter it) and 100% safe to store things in while docked.

If permanent storage was removed from ships then we would probably be able to have "craftable" vessels for all to own and enjoy.

I'd love that tbh

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:23 am

We need storage on ships for ammo - it's heavy and takes too much inventory space for characters to be just carrying it around 24/7.
Losing entire stacks of +5 javelins and powder stones to random server crashes / resets would've been really bad.

There's also wood/cloth/steel needed for repairs.

Nurel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nurel » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:09 pm

-XXX- wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:23 am

We need storage on ships for ammo - it's heavy and takes too much inventory space for characters to be just carrying it around 24/7.
Losing entire stacks of +5 javelins and powder stones to random server crashes / resets would've been really bad.

This is definately a valid point but as long as there's permanent storage on boats, we won't be able to have many boats. I was illustrating the reason why boats are finite and not on-demand. Cause it would ruin the housing system.

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:19 pm

breaking into ships was on the list, but i don't know when ActionReplay plans to implement this

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:07 pm

Technically one can "break" into a ship "quarter" by boarding it.
For that to happen it needs to occasionally sail outside Arelith's local waters though...

TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:06 pm

-XXX- wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:23 am

So much this, yes yes yes.

It is crazy trying to organize ships gear

Cthuletta

Post by Cthuletta » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:55 pm

I'd vote yes!
Even just one smaller ship able to be bid on in each settlement would be really nice.
Sure, make them able to be quarterbroken, but don't remove that storage! My low-carry-weight characters would cry.

Juniper Oakley - A Little Bitey

Ny'aza 'Peggy' Philor'tyl - Travelling
Tiffa Took Hss'tafi - Happy in Sigil

perseid

Post by perseid » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:42 am

I'd vote yes but with caveats. I think Sencliff's private leases should remain private until the current owners release/roll and then convert to short-term rentals. 5 vessels would be plenty imo for Sencliff and I think even when shared in a fair and inclusive manner it's just strange to observe the subtle caste system between crews that emerges based on whether you have control of a private lease or not.

For the underdark I think there should be a short-term cog and a private ship that isn't tied to a district or the landlease system. I think even if underdark sailing isn't necessarily supposed to be at-par with the surface it would still be good if one novice crew sinking a rental didn't kill 50% of their rental boats.

More broadly... I think between the three Guld rentals, the Cordorian rental, the Crow's Nest rental, and the Brog rental (for just getting around) I think surface arguably has enough ships and that for resolving non-ink surface sailing woes it'd make more sense to focus on the state of crew-requirements.

So... Yes I'd like to see more ships, especially if QB-immunity was removed as another poster noted was being looked into, but I think the current ship pool isn't necessarily that inadequate depending on if you're talking in terms of surface vs. pirates vs. underdark.

Nurel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nurel » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:27 am

Cthuletta wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:55 pm

Sure, make them able to be quarterbroken, but don't remove that storage! My low-carry-weight characters would cry.

Definately this would be the best solution!

But as far as "are many ships bad" my vote is No. I'd rather have many ships docked in ports with not enough sailors to sail them, than the opposite

PowerWord Rage

Post by PowerWord Rage » Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:23 am

Arelith need more sailors than it need more ships, imho.
Do not be fooled when you see 10 or 20 on a single ship because you'll realise that more than half of them or perhaps more than 75% of them are in fact, subpar or terrible sailors.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:13 pm

I would vote YES for more ships, but only if sailing was moved off the surface server to its own dedicated one. As it is now, there is just too much weight on one server and thus my vote is for NO.

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:03 pm

Being selfish for a moment I voted yes. In particularly for Cordor. As the busiest settlement on Arelith, I think that the current number of ships available in Cordor is simply not enough. Especially when other much quieter settlements end up getting more and more ships, I think it would be nice to look at player population. Sailing is just super popular to a lot of people and the sailing system is fun. I don't think it can hurt at all to put a few extra ships in and allow people to go sailing more often.

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled

LivelyParticle
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by LivelyParticle » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:07 pm

D4wN wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:03 pm

Being selfish for a moment I voted yes. In particularly for Cordor. As the busiest settlement on Arelith, I think that the current number of ships available in Cordor is simply not enough. Especially when other much quieter settlements end up getting more and more ships, I think it would be nice to look at player population. Sailing is just super popular to a lot of people and the sailing system is fun. I don't think it can hurt at all to put a few extra ships in and allow people to go sailing more often.

There are literally ships sitting without crews and Captains begging for crew.

I should know, I'm one.

I'd say yes to small 1-2 person ships, but otherwise it's SO HARD to find a crew of 4-5 to sail with.

TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:33 pm

We have the ships.

What I think we could use is...

Better weapon loadouts for the rental ships.

Its not fun only ever seeing the same two or three ships in battle day in and day out ad nauseam.

15 people on each ship fighting each other. Where as if we had better loadouts for rentals we would have a ton more ships sailing and doing ship type sailor things.

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:56 pm

LivelyParticle wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:07 pm
D4wN wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:03 pm

There are literally ships sitting without crews and Captains begging for crew.

I should know, I'm one.

I'd say yes to small 1-2 person ships, but otherwise it's SO HARD to find a crew of 4-5 to sail with.

Maybe things have changed then but I know I used to listen to a lot of people complain there weren't enough ships in Cordor for rent

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled

PowerWord Rage

Post by PowerWord Rage » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:19 am

In fact, Cordor does not have insufficient ship but rather, ships that are available for anyone to use.
This is the core reason why Rental > Owned ship.
However, everybody ( i think ) of course, including myself, would love to own one rather than not despite knowing that Rental is ideally more superior than Owned.

Security_Blanket

Post by Security_Blanket » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:13 pm

I've always wanted to own a ship, but that is even less likely than owning a quarter these days. If the main thing keeping us from having a lot more ships is the fact that ships have storage, can't that method of storage just be tweaked a bit? Make the container only able to hold ship specific items, after closing, a conversation option pops up telling you what's in there.

Draco Deleteur
Dreadlord Lucius Blackhand - "All is as Bane wills it."

IAmSwampFoot

Post by IAmSwampFoot » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:33 am

I know there are rentable ships, but I think they could be expanded. Rather than a single point to rent one ship, that point can offer a ship to anyone with the funds to rent one.

Also, I don't know how the rentable ships work, but Sail skill should not be required to rent one and head out. The NPC crew should have sufficient sail skill to get you where you are headed.

Ruzuke

Post by Ruzuke » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:21 pm

A few months later it seems that from the forum population many people want the ability to be able to sail. From some of the complaints the people who want to sail wish to do so without the constraints of the current Captains being able to decide if they are allowed to play on the sea or not.

For me personally I don't have a ship, never have had a ship. I do not have an issue with getting 4-5 of my friends going sailing. When we do so there is a low bar of entry (are you, free let's have fun). We don't have IC rules with one another other than we are a team. Running into non friends on the game ran into the same thing. Want to sail, sure and get a large enough crew.

I do hope the game opens up more ships available to the Crow's Nest, Sibayad, as well as the Underdark. That the rental ships with a skilled crew are on par with the long-term rentals. Being cannon fodder is not fun and owning a house at sea shouldn't be an automatic win.

I also would love join a NPC's crew where we sail, shoot pirates, deliver goods, and it is another job.

perseid

Post by perseid » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:45 am

I think Sencliff specifically should have more ships. Other settlements I think are fine. The Surface ultimately has a capital ship for every settlement (plus Westcliff), a Cordorian rental, three Guldorand rentals, a Crow's Nest rental, a Half-Orc rental, and the Penny for sailors that don't need artillery. Sencliff has two rentals. If even one amateur sinks one of those rentals Sencliff is now sharing one rental between the entire island. I would also personally either add more private leases to Sencliff or sunset the private Sencliff vessels to transition into rentals after their current owners eventually leave because right now owning a ship is the equivalent to being a Chancellor, if not more impactful, as far as the influence it allows you to exercise in Sencliff if you manage your faction remotely well.

The underdark could probably use more rentals too or even a private vessel (even if other settlements can bid on the private vessel too) but ultimately I think a slight shortage is good because it encourages the UD to at least consider diplomacy for expanded boat access in other places.