Ultravision

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Suggestion Moderators

KeldonDonovans

Ultravision

Post by KeldonDonovans » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:10 pm

Hey there. Feel free to move this to bug reports if that's where you think it belongs, it contains ideas to fix it so I figured I'd post it as a suggestion.

So we are (mostly) all aware of the ultravision bug where it wears off, turning everything outside of melee range invisible, yeah? If not, basic rundown is exactly as I described-when ultravision wears off, it occasionally messes up the person's vision, making it impossible for ranged combatants to target anyone outside of melee range, because everyone outside of melee range is simply invisible, can't click them or anything.

But that's been like that for ages, and was always deemed unfixable due to NWN mechanics and such. But now, with EE, we can do amazing things that we never could before. So I figured I'd bring it back up as a suggestion to fix. I'm familiar with coding, but not NWN scripts, so I figured I'd toss a few ideas out in case fixing this is more complex than I'd anticipated.

Idea 1: Modify the ultravision spell to fix the bug. Not sure if this is even where the bug is, as I said, I'm unfamiliar with NWN scripts, but assuming its part of the spell itself, now that we have the ability to modify them on a grander basis, this could fix the issue.

Idea 2: Assuming we cannot modify the ultravision spell to fix it, create our own version of Ultravision that does not replicate the bug, and replace all instances of Ultravision with this new spell.

Idea 3: Assuming ideas one and two both do not work, we could add a script that basically resets someone's vision whenever ultravision wears off. This would have the added side effect of curing blindness and ending other sight related spells or abilities, but that's a small price to pay not to go blind every time you use an eye of shadows.

Idea 4: Assuming ideas one through three didn't work, the last idea I have for fixing this is along the lines of -makesafe. A console command along the lines of "-vision". The command would test to make sure the user is not under the affects of blindness(or any other negative sight-based things I'm forgetting), and as long as they are not, it would reset all parameters affecting their vision to restore their sight.

Some testing might be needed in order to fully understand what would fix the bug and what would not, I've not had a character with enough casting ability to try everything I'd want to. For instance, does casting remove blindness/deafness fix the issue? What about blinding the character, then casting remove blindness? If anything like that would work, it should, theoretically, make idea 4 rather easy to implement. Anywho, there you have it, idea is to fix the Ultravision glitch we've all grown to hate.

garrbear758

Re: Ultravision

Post by garrbear758 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:47 pm

Idea 1: Darkness (effect) is hardcoded. Denied
Idea 2: Darkness (effect) is hardcoded. Denied
Idea 3: -dispel ul will function as a free instant remove blindness. Denied

Idea 4: Approved as a function on the rest menu, not as a console command. This will ensure it cannot be potentially abused in combat.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Sincra
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: Ultravision

Post by Sincra » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:10 am

While 4 is approved this one needs experimentation into the following:
Immunity to darkness + UV as a linked effect, Does this resolve it at the source?
Is there a situation that applying the effects again can ever fix it?

As a retrospective review:
Idea 2 is theoretically possible, but technically complex and would also likely require a rework of darkness, resulting in a subpar experience.
Irongron wrote:I've literally never used -guard on anyone.