Rework Carpentry to be less frustratingly complex

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Suggestion Moderators

WanderingPoet

Rework Carpentry to be less frustratingly complex

Post by WanderingPoet » Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:42 pm

If you want to make a masterly damask weapon you need 2 coal, 1 silver, 1 steel, 1 adamantine, 2 mithril.

Total Material cost is:
24 Coal
2 Silver ore
2 Iron ore
2 Adamantine Ore
4 Mithril Ore

543 CP for the weapon, 12 for the materials = 552cp. To make the materials you need to complete 6 interim recipes.

If you want an ashwood longbow you need...

2 Ashwood Stabilizer - Carpentry/Alchemy - requiring 2 charcoal, 1 adamantine ore, 1 natural gums, 1 pine tar for CP 50
1 Dragon Oil - Herbalism/Alchemy - Requiring 1 dragon hide, 5 flasks of oil, 1 dragon blood for CP 80
2 Hardening Finish - Carpentry/Alchemy - requiring 1 arjale ore, 1 mithril ore, 1 hardwood resin, 1 pine tar for CP 40
8 Spider silk
4 Softwood (Ancient Yew)

Okay so to make this you need high ranks in herbalism or alchemy to make the dragon oil, you also need:
4 pine tar - Carpentry - Made in a batch of 4, for 2 glass bottles, 4 hardwood, 1 alchemist fire for CP 5
4 charcoal - Carpentry - 3 firewood for 3, or as a result of making pine tar in batches of 4 for CP 1/5
2 natural gum - Carpentry - Made in batches of 5, for 4 nuts, 5 glass vials, 2 hardwood, 2 softwood, 4 malyss root for CP 10
5 flasks of oil - Herbalism - Made in batches of 1 for 2 harnak, 1 glass vial (or 10 with bulk recipe) for CP 4
2 Hardwood Resin - Carpentry - made in batches of 5 for 5 glass vials and 5 hardwood for CP 15

Which means you need...
2 Glass bottles - Art Crafting - 2 coal and 2 glass, made in batches of 5 for CP 5
15 Glass vials - Art crafting - 2 coal and 2 glass, made in batches of 5 for CP 5

Which means you need
8 glass - Art Crafting - 2 coal, 2 sand, made in batches of 10 for CP 10

So total materials to make an ashwood longbow are:
4 Ancient Yew
8 Spider Silk
1 Dragon Hide
10 Harnak Seeds
10 Coal
2 Sand
1 Dragon Blood
4 Charcoal
4 Nuts
11 Hardwood
2 Softwood
4 Malyss Root
1 Alchemist Fire
2 Adamantine Ore
2 Arjale Ore
2 Mithril Ore

This leaves 3 Natural Gum, 3 hardwood resin, 3 glass bottles, and 2 glass leftover

As well as needing 1 rank in art crafting to make the bottle and access to a DC 15 Herbalism for Flasks of Oil and DC 35 Herbalism or Alchemy to make the Dragon Oil.

This requires a whopping: 600CP for the base longbow plus 340 more in materials. To make the materials you have to make 14 interim recipes, or 19 if you don't make bulk flasks of oil

As you can see, this is wildly different from making the mastery damask weapons.

940 CP, 70 ingredients and 14-19 steps compared to 552CP, 36 ingredients (and 24 of those is like 2-3 coal nodes) with 6 steps.

Could we please see the elimination of the needlessly complicated bits? Removing natural gums, dragon oil, pine tar, hardening finish and emulsifying oils and charcoal from recipes would go a long way to equalizing the recipes and making it less frustrating.

My proposal is that:
Hardening Finish = 1 arjale ore, 1 mithril ore, 1 alchemist fire, 1 glass bottle and 4 hardwood. CP 10
Ashwood Stabilizer = 1 adamantine ore, 1 glass bottle, 4 nuts, 2 malyss root, 1 alchemist fire, 2 hardwood. CP 10
Ashwood longbow = 2 Hardening Finish, 2 Ashwood Stabilizer, 4 Ancient Yew, 8 Spidersilk. CP 512.

This would make the Ashwood Longbow's total cost be:
2 Adamantine Ore
2 Arjale Ore
2 Mithril Ore
4 Alchemist Fire
4 Glass Bottles
12 Hardwood
8 nuts
4 Malyss Root
4 Ancient Yew
8 Spidersilk

Total CP 512 + 40 = 552, with 50 items requiring 5 interim steps to complete.

This would have the longbow take 14 more materials but 1 less step, and equal CP.

Same idea of Ashwood Shortbow and the various shields.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Rework Carpentry to be less frustratingly complex

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:11 am

Approving as this is a bit insane.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)