Invisibility and Concealment VFX

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Suggestion Moderators

PhaerimmBane

Invisibility and Concealment VFX

Post by PhaerimmBane » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:02 pm

As it stands, there is no way to tell the difference between invisible or concealed characters.
See Invisibility, whether through the spell itself, potions, scrolls, True Seeing, or other abilities, has become pretty standard to have while walking around. Short of disabling your own See Invis buff somehow, if we see someone who is concealed, they look identical to someone who is invisible. Granted, there are SOME other means of identifying the difference, such as possessing a familiar, or just asking if other people can see the person in question, however, that can be a bit flow-breaking, especially if you don't want to necessarily reveal that there is someone invisible in the area, which will just result in everyone casting their relevant spells and abilities.
To that end, having a VFX change to differentiate between the two would be quite welcome, and improve the flow of RP overall.
My personal suggestion would be to add a small white particle effect akin to Epic Mage Armor, but recolored, to the invisible VFX. The particles would still be invisible to the unaided viewer, so long as the user is invisible, but would still allow differentiation between Invisible and Concealed, at a glance.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Invisibility and Concealment VFX

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:29 pm

moved to approved, but using a greyed out name akin to stealth.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)