Give all clerics a bonus language.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Suggestion Moderators

Party in the forest at midnight

Give all clerics a bonus language.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:18 pm

In P&P all clerics get a bonus language, regardless of alignment. The 3.5 handbook says it's a choice between celestial, abyssal, and infernal, but it would be cool if draconic and sylvan were also available. Draconic would be a great pick as a cleric of Mystra or Azuth, and sylvan would be great for people who worship a fey or nature deity.

A way this could be implemented is after X number of cleric levels, they could get a bonus language in a similar way as Loremaster where you get a prompt in the combat log saying you get a bonus language and type -bonus_language to pick it.

I'd leave it not alignment restricted and let people pick whatever they want. In a previous thread, an underdark player said not speaking abyssal was a way that was used to out non-evil drow clerics. While the given example was a CN Lolthite, clerics of Eilistraee suffer similarly. As well, there's good and evil feyish things people can worship.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Give all clerics a bonus language.

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:30 am

Approved I think - unless someone screams at me otherwise in the next few days.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)