Dynamic Night Time

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Suggestion Moderators

Darkstorn42
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Dynamic Night Time

Post by Darkstorn42 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:16 pm

Arelith is am amazing dynamic world, and with the recent update we even get some cool seasonal night time effects. However, many of our players have busy lives and tend to have consistent play schedules. This means that they might have the same 4 hour block to play every day. So some of us only play during IG night time or IG day time. This can make things rather static as lots of things change in the world due to these effects. I can think of lots of ways to address this issue from discussions I have had with other players on the Discord.

1) Dynamic Sundown Times - Expand the seasonal affects we have now. With an extra 80 minutes of night time during the IG winter, that only shifts the sundown by 40 minutes (if its evenly distributed) or 80 minutes at max. While 80 minutes does slightly address the issue it really doesn't fully do it. So this could be expanded even further to maybe make night time 20 minutes early, or so, every month IG month up to winter, then 20 minutes later to summer. This would be a 2 hour shift of sunset, in total, and sunrise times don't need to be changed.

2) Solar Eclipse - The sun could be blocked out for 3, or so, IG days every few months. This would give more time for trouble makers from below to roam up top. This could even come from some Sharran plot to put Arelith in eternal darkness, or something like that. It would add flavor: "The dark days are coming. Stay inside. Lock your doors. Be safe, everyone."

3) Player Driven Night Time -
A) There are a hand full of darkness spells in the game. When cast in a zone it could temporarily place the zone in night time for a while. Perhaps turns for Darkness and hours for Shadow Plague.
B) Rituals are really cool but I feel like not enough people utilize them. So perhaps a ritual to make a zone night time for a duration, or until the next sunrise/server reset, could be utilized.

((I am aware that there is a fair bit of difficulty in working with the time system for the server, but, with my limited coding knowledge, I would imagine that it would not be that difficult to adjust the night time flag for zones with some method.))

Izahne Tiller/Victoria Helbrecht - (Shelved)
Maile Aylomen
Zuulanii Ironblood
Ukyo Kuonji

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Dynamic Night Time

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:30 pm

Just as a point, I'm not 100% sure that 1) isn't already the case? I'm sure sometimes that it's night at 7, and other times night at 9? Anyway - will discuss further amidst team.

I will say that I think your other ideas definatly win on Coolness factor, but I don't know how possible they would be to implement. I'll chat to the rest of the team about it.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Dynamic Night Time

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:47 pm

Ok after discussion, plunging AN area into night is possible, and I think a ritual or something to do this would be amazing, so I'm approving that.

The scope you want -whilst ABSOLUTLY AMAZING in conception, is sadly likely very difficult, if not impossible, to do in practicaltiy due to the engine.

So - approving for a lesser degree.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)