CrystalRL

Divine Loremaster uses Spell Components

Post by CrystalRL » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:40 am

Description
==========
Loremasters with a divine casting class are asked to use spell components

Steps to reproduce
----------------------------
1) Choose a divine casting class to get SF/GSF of a valid type for Loremaster's Secret Knowledge of <ESF>
2) Get to Lv21
3) Use the ESF-SK

Expected result
-----------------------
The SK works, deducting the standard Piety cost.

Actual result
-------------------

Code: Select all

You don't have enough components to cast that.
Screenshot(s)
--------------------

Notes
---------
Given you can't get the ESF-based SK without GSF, the feat should be able to check for your highest level casting class.

Zaphiel

Re: Divine Loremaster uses Spell Components

Post by Zaphiel » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:43 am

Is your divine casting class level 17 or higher (18 for shaman and favored soul)? Those epic spells check for being epic divine caster (divine caster level 17/18). If your divine casting class level lower than those numbers, then it is normal for you to be not counted as divine caster.
Edited for grammar to make it worse, probably.

CrystalRL

Post by CrystalRL » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:06 pm

My divine class is way below 17 (currently Lv4), but it's also my only casting class. I should be using piety, because my character doesn't have arcane casting. If it's an intended effect, that should definitely be listed in the Loremaster description.

Zaphiel

Post by Zaphiel » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:24 pm

It is not special to loremaster. Those epic spells requires to be epic divine caster for use piety. Feel free to give feedback about it since it is not something I have added nor I have idea why it is implemented in this way.
Edited for grammar to make it worse, probably.

Drogo Gyslain

Post by Drogo Gyslain » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:15 pm

CrystalRL wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:06 pm
My divine class is way below 17 (currently Lv4), but it's also my only casting class. I should be using piety, because my character doesn't have arcane casting. If it's an intended effect, that should definitely be listed in the Loremaster description.
That sounds correct.

Loremaster is INT based in its build, not WIS based. WIS based casting using Piety is not something a lvl 4 character should be able to do.

Being able to cast Epic Level Skills using Piety is something that should be backed by significant investment in being that type of caster, not simply a dip into the class. Your effective casting level being 4 should mean you aren't skilled or talented enough, and the spell components are being used in lieu of having such an attunement with your god/goddess.

A 20 Cleric / 10 Loremaster I can understand being able to Peity Cast.

A 4 Cleric / 10 Loremaster / etc. 16 should not be able to Peity Cast.

CrystalRL

Post by CrystalRL » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:15 pm

Yes, but the character isn't an arcane caster. Can you explain to me how it makes sense that they can use ESF feats despite not being able to cast a single arcane spell? It doesn't make sense to me, considering even the most basic cantrip requires the ability to picture a spellform and say "Light" or "Flare". Divine casters skip the spellform, as it's part of the prayers they perform.

I'd be more keen on a material component if they had a unique spellcasting focus that was crafted, similar to a wand (Loremasters get UMD, but not Spellcraft).