Cannot learn a new language

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

RogueUnicorn

Cannot learn a new language

Post by RogueUnicorn » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:48 pm

My character is an elf ranger with 12 int who knows these languages:

1) Elven (Bonus language)
2) Animal (Bonus language)

I should be able to learn a third language, due to my int modifier, correct? However, I cannot progress in any language, even with a Loremaster tutoring. (Yes I have the necessary phrasebooks)

DM Rex

Re: Cannot learn a new language

Post by DM Rex » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:13 pm

Yes, if your base (without any int equipment or spells cast on you) modifier you should be able to learn one additional language.

Some possible things at play:
  • You may have 'fake' or counterfeit phrasebooks that are copied from just regular books, these would not enable you to learn a language since they aren't the correct item to do so.
  • If your base intelligence score without spells or equipment is 11 or below, you will not be able to learn an additional language. Only by taking an intelligence attribute point to bring you up to 12 would you then be able to. (Possible once every 4 levels, or with the epic feat of Great Intelligence.)
  • You can only learn language from someone with it already learned, or at least with higher % progress than you.
  • If all of the previous issues are not at play, there may be an error with the character file and I would highly recommend reaching out to DM Spyre or DM Hoodoo via either Discord, PM via forum, or also the DM group email.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Cannot learn a new language

Post by MalKalz » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:09 pm

Resolved.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.