Something has gone wrong in Shadovar Trade Post

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

I will never sleep

Something has gone wrong in Shadovar Trade Post

Post by I will never sleep » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:54 am

The Shadovar have created their own sun and are trying to blind me off the server. I have the Arelith vfx pack installed (the one that makes the fog look nice).

Steps to reproduce
----------------------------
-Walk into Shadovar.

Expected result
-----------------------
-There to be no sun or moon in the Shadow Plane.

Actual result
-------------------
-The sun is closer than you thought.

Screenshot(s)
--------------------

Last edited by I will never sleep on Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Party in the forest at midnight

Re: Something has gone wrong in Shadovar Trade Post

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:12 am

I'm very upset, this bug isn't happening for me at all. I logged in specifically to stare at the sun.

neverwinternightly

Post by neverwinternightly » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:16 am

I'm pretty sure it is tied to the linked vfx pack. Try installing it and prepare your retinas, Party.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:18 am

neverwinternightly wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:16 am
I'm pretty sure it is tied to the linked vfx pack. Try installing it and prepare your retinas, Party.
Wow. I was so enticed by the screenshots, like a moth, that I didn't even read. Thank you for pointing it out.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:54 am

This kind of looks awesome!

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:05 am

This is a bug I have noticed with NwN on the Shadow Plane a number of times. While I can set an exterior to 'always night', you will still see the sunrise if there during the period where it cycles. This will only occur if you are present in the area at that exact hour.

neverwinternightly

Post by neverwinternightly » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:30 am

So, after some further play with the changed trade post, it definitely seems like something is up? I think the problems mentioned in the post (which OP told me persist no matter the IG time and drop framerate to 15 FPS) are linked somewhat to the vfx pack and how it is registering whatever is causing something I've been experiencing.

But even without the pack, there seems to be some new sun-like light source in the center of the trade post above the portal. I'm not sure if it serves a specific purpose or not, but I'm pretty certain it wasn't there until recently. Without the vfx pack on, it can still be pretty jarring if you have your camera raised to max height and walk by the center of the trade post. I did my best to illustrate some of what I've been seeing recently with certain camera angles. (I exaggerated the camera angle for most of these. I don't play exactly top down, but it is easier to see the effects like that)

Curious to know if that is meant to be showing up for players or not. I imagine if it is taken away, OP's problems will probably go away too (without them having to take off the vfx pack)

Cowbot

Post by Cowbot » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:45 am

I have this problem as a player. When I reinstalled the game it went away briefly, then came back shortly after.

If it is the vfx pack, how do I remove it to fix this? It's troublesome to not be able to RP in the trade post.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:09 pm

I know this is kinda serious Neverwinternighty but I just want to say I adore your captions on the screenshots.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Cowbot

Post by Cowbot » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:35 am

I uninstalled the development build Arelith Overrides on Steam Workshop and it seems to have fixed it.

I also like the captions. They're appropriate too!

Inordinate
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Inordinate » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:34 am

I wanted to revive this old, old bug report as it came up again in Discord and I actually got some feedback from Symphony who put the Override packs together. If the number of lights in that area is reduced it should alleviate the issue and prevent it from happening. I have seen several areas all across the modules that are built using this pack in mind and I think it's an excellent override that bears Arelith's name; would it be possible to cull some lights in that spot so we can make use of the pack without being blinded every time we want to visit the Trade Post?

If need there comes to shelter my ship on the flood;
The wind I calm upon the waves, and the sea I put to sleep

Twohand
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Twohand » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:05 pm

Fixed.