Disguise Race does not work

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

D4wN

Disguise Race does not work

Post by D4wN » Tue May 18, 2021 12:03 am

I've tried this a few times now and had someone else try it too, but it seems the -disguise_race XXXX does not work. When I attempt to disguise as a Half Elf, it will continue to show me as a human, I have a base bluff of 51 without buffs and gear so I imagien it would be high enough for that.

Another player tried it on their elf to disguise as a drow. Their perform is 68 with gear and buffs and it's not working for them either.

I couldn't find another bug report on this, so my apologies if this was already raised before.

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled

neverwinternightly

Re: Disguise Race does not work

Post by neverwinternightly » Tue May 18, 2021 1:28 am

Were you fully covered? I believe the command only works if you are.
Following the command with another race that matches your base race (Shield Dwarf -> Gold Dwarf, Drow -> Sun Elf, etc.), allows you to disguise yourself as one while covered. Breaking the cover without breaking the disguise will not reveal your real race.

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Tue May 18, 2021 2:45 am

neverwinternightly wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 1:28 am
Were you fully covered? I believe the command only works if you are.
Following the command with another race that matches your base race (Shield Dwarf -> Gold Dwarf, Drow -> Sun Elf, etc.), allows you to disguise yourself as one while covered. Breaking the cover without breaking the disguise will not reveal your real race.
Yeah, fully covered. Also fully disguised.

Currently playing:

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Emma Young - Rolled

Fava Beans

Post by Fava Beans » Tue May 18, 2021 9:57 pm

Keep in mind that one must have the skill to see through the cover and differentiate between subrace to see more than just the parent race. my elf disguises as a drow often, to people who cant break the cover (not disguise) they only ever see 'elf'. you have to be covered to disguise race, but they have to break your disguise stat to see your true race. they have to break the cover to see the disguise race. (at least thats how it seems to work, i use the command often and have never had it not work0

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Tue May 18, 2021 11:08 pm

Yeah. Tried all that. My character has terrible spot and would never be able to break through a disguise or cover. My friend tried to disguise as a drow and I could still see "Elf". He checked mine and it still said "Human"

Currently playing:

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Emma Young - Rolled

Soulfulless

Post by Soulfulless » Wed May 19, 2021 10:55 am

Could it be that it won't allow you to disguise yourself as a "Half-Elf" due to that the features are much different than that of a Human? Because they typically still have pointed ears and other similar features to Elves.

I'm only suggesting this because the disguise_race command only allows you to disguise yourself as a subrace of whatever race you already are. So since it is a combination of two races, it might be restricted somehow? Just pure speculation at this point.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Wed May 19, 2021 1:40 pm

I haven't had it work for me either when attempting to test it. I have taken all the same steps as D4wN with the same results.

Fava Beans

Post by Fava Beans » Wed May 19, 2021 8:40 pm

Have you had someone with high spot and decent lore try to examine you? when i disguise as a drow only a select few can see that it says drow, most just see Elf

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Thu May 20, 2021 4:10 am

Soulfulless wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 10:55 am
Could it be that it won't allow you to disguise yourself as a "Half-Elf" due to that the features are much different than that of a Human? Because they typically still have pointed ears and other similar features to Elves.

I'm only suggesting this because the disguise_race command only allows you to disguise yourself as a subrace of whatever race you already are. So since it is a combination of two races, it might be restricted somehow? Just pure speculation at this point.
Humans can/should be able to disguise as Half Elves according to the Wiki. An elf also attempted to disguise as a drow which also didn't work, but should have worked according to the wiki.
by Fava Beans » 20 May 2021 06:40

Have you had someone with high spot and decent lore try to examine you? when i disguise as a drow only a select few can see that it says drow, most just see Elf
I'm natively a human. Even those with low / no spot still only see human. Not half elf. Same with the elf who tried to disguise as a drow. I have terrible spot so I should have seen drow, not elf.

Currently playing:

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Emma Young - Rolled

Mattamue
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Mattamue » Thu May 20, 2021 12:52 pm

D4wN wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 4:10 am
I'm natively a human. Even those with low / no spot still only see human. Not half elf. Same with the elf who tried to disguise as a drow. I have terrible spot so I should have seen drow, not elf.
With low spot and terrible spot, you see the unbroken cover race, which is the "parent" race and not the disguised subrace. It is working correctly (and as intended) when it shows elf and human instead of drow and half-elf when your spot is bad.

If the spotter has enough spot to break cover but not your disguise, they will see half-elf.

Who is the audience for this post?

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Thu May 20, 2021 10:12 pm

I’m really confused by that logic since I thought the whole point of disguise race is to fool people into thinking you’re a different race. (Watch my fake half elf ears!) it doesn’t look like you could disguise race without cover to pretend you’re a different race.

So in effect the disguise race only works on players with a good enough spot to break your cover but not your disguise? Shouldn’t people with a lower spot logically be less capable of identifying your true race?

Thanks so much for explaining this and for your patience. It’s just a little confusing.

Currently playing:

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Emma Young - Rolled

Fava Beans

Post by Fava Beans » Sat May 22, 2021 12:22 am

D4wN wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 10:12 pm
I’m really confused by that logic since I thought the whole point of disguise race is to fool people into thinking you’re a different race. (Watch my fake half elf ears!) it doesn’t look like you could disguise race without cover to pretend you’re a different race.

So in effect the disguise race only works on players with a good enough spot to break your cover but not your disguise? Shouldn’t people with a lower spot logically be less capable of identifying your true race?

Thanks so much for explaining this and for your patience. It’s just a little confusing.
I get it, really, as someone with a bonkers amount of bluff and in disguise more than not, that it would be far preferred that the disguised race shows to low spot characters, cant say how many times ive been stopped in the UD because they didnt have the spot to even see i was disguising race.

with that said i try to think of it like this; an elf disguising as a drow isnt going to rub coal and makeup all over them self, natural pigment is not easy to copy, but rather when disguising race you are changing certain markers, maybe your hood has extra padding to make your ears seem longer, or your boots are stuffed to make you seem a bit taller, breaking cover dosent mean you see through it, as much as you are able to see defining characteristics beyond their covered body, like those racial 'markers' of longer ears.

thats how i view it at any rate

Artenides

Post by Artenides » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:48 pm

Closing.
--
Plays as: [No active char atm]
"I am a software developer and a DnD nerd. That means I am equally qualified to deal with bugs and bugbears!"