Epic Enchantment Domination

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Spike0901

Epic Enchantment Domination

Post by Spike0901 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:38 pm

Description of Bug Experienced:
When Dominating two creatures with the Epic Enchantment ability the second creature dominated consistently becomes entirely unresponsive to commands even with the associate tool. The creature will also stop being able to pass through mid-screen transitions and will no longer be pulled by the -yoink command. The creature also will not leave your party even if you click the Release from Domination button, or give the creature mind spell immunity which would normally break the domination.

Steps to reproduce the Bug:
Have Epic spell focus Enchantment and Dominate two creatures, the amount of time for them to break doesnt seem exact. It has taken 3 minutes for the creature to bug out one time and then more than 20 minutes to bug out another.

Expected Result:
Responsive creature with working AI(responds to associate tool/yoink/attacks monsters)

Actual Result:
Creature that will not go through mid-screen transitions/attack/follow associate tool commands.The creature will alsofollow you into the death screen if you die and refuse to leave your party.

cakewalk

Re: Epic Enchantment Domination

Post by cakewalk » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:23 pm

Having this too. Only resting will release a dominated creature, even a single one, starting when I took esf enchantment. Before that it worked as normal with the single dominate.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:52 am

This is partially due to an engine limitation. In order to dominate two creatures simultaneously, we had to apply a different dominate effect that is normally used for cutscenes and the like. NWN's "Release from domination" button doesn't expect this effect and thus won't remove it.

Also creature AI is a bit wonky at times when controlling more than one creature using the Associate Tool. What I commonly do to workaround issues is disabling associate control, then commanding the creatures to follow (via the radial commands). Afterwards they will usually attack again when controlled with the Associate Tool. That said, I will at some point check the Associate Tool code to see if there's any weird interactions with cutscene dominate effects.

I could possibly also introduce a radial ability or chat command that lets players release targeted creatures if there's any interest in that.

godhand-
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by godhand- » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:17 am

I've found there are certain effects that cause the dominations to break in the effects described by OP

Darkness is one of them. Ultravision does not restore this.
Step to reproduce - Cast Ultraivision then darkness on your dominate - This bug is also apparent WITHOUT ESF enchanting - only with GSF

Inivisibility is another - But i have a work around to resolve that one for when i use improved invis - Does not work for the darkness bug however.

I'm sure there are more that cause this behaviour to trigger.
Cortex wrote: Addendum, the immediate above post by godhand is wrong in about every aspect, as were most of his other posts.

cakewalk

Post by cakewalk » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:32 am

We can definitely use some option to release from domination, as right now there is no clean option to do that in RP. Especially since it affects single domination too. Not to mention the challenges of resting to release with a party, and in other situations.

It’s causing more issues than just the typical invisibility bug, which is easily solved by having an invisible follower bash loot or a door to remove actual invis. It seems to be affecting npc follow, even summons and even with no dominate, after taking esf enchantment. It affects something more wide reaching.

It may be caused somehow by using the associate tool or radial menu shouted orders and it seems to come and go in about 3 or 4 round intervals. I’ve checked for blindness or other status effects, whether invis is actually still on, and did the usual cycling through walk modes and associate tool modes/off. Tried it in several locations and with different creature types. It changes immediately after taking the feat, in previous levels npc behavior was as normal.

Thank you too! I appreciate your work to tackle this old bug.

cakewalk

Post by cakewalk » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:28 am

After using it a lot this weekend, here is some more specific information that might be helpful:

- The unresponsiveness seems to follow a pattern: every 3 or 4 rounds the extra dominate stops responding to the command method you’re using (either radial shouts or associate tool), but it will then begin responding to the alternative method. 3 or 4 rounds later it will stop responding at all. Cycling through the command methods to change them will usually, eventually, get them back on the same method. Then the process starts again.

- The extra dominate doesn’t follow through doors, -fetch, or the occasional script that gathers followers as you move. The not following through doors part is particularly bad, making it nearly useless in many dungeons.

- Not being able to release is leading to powerful hostile npcs left in places they definitely shouldn’t be. The extra dominate reappearing after death or in the fugue makes it even worse. It also makes it incredibly challenging to rest with a party.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'm currently working on another quite time-consuming dev project, but I'll look into this afterwards.

Spike0901

Post by Spike0901 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:46 pm

Ive found a work around that seems to be working most of the time, when the second dominated monsters AI breaks take over all companions and then use the tool on yourself to set them back to doing their own thing again. After that use the (V,E,E) voice command to tell them to follow you, and then use the associate tool on just the broken dominated monster and it should start listening to commands again. This however doesnt fix the creature being -fetched and it still wont go through inter-screen transitions but it should atleast fight instead of just standing around.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:36 pm

Just a quick heads up. I've done some experiments with the -fetch and Associate Tool code and managed to make them work more reliably for creatures dominated with ESF:Enchantment's cutscene dominate effect. Additionally I've been working on a -command that will allow dominated creatures to be dismissed selectively depending on the dominate order. All of these changes are included in the bigger update I've mentioned a month ago, but this will take some more time to get finished.

I'm sorry for the wait, but I promise it will be worth it :)

cakewalk

Post by cakewalk » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:46 pm

Thanks very much! Can't wait for the tool and -fetch to work, though it's the 2nd dominate not following through doors that's the real kicker. Really appreciate your time and thanks again!

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:45 pm

The issues have been addressed in the big warlock update. Closing this.

FYI, I'll also soon implement a fix that will let Clarity and (Lesser) Mind Blanks break the cutscene dominate effect used by Double Dominate.