Color Codes Broken

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Emoishyo

Color Codes Broken

Post by Emoishyo » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:50 pm

Description of Bug Experienced:
Color codes are bugged since the latest update of introducing written languages. This bug applies to new as well as old notes and letters using the color codes, but items descriptions are unaffected.

Steps to reproduce the Bug:
Use a color code in a written letter, for example by setting text from pin.

Expected Result:
The text of choice is chosen color, as shown before preview.

Actual Result:
Upon either Toggle Preview or Finishing the letter, signing it;
If no space in color code: First word is colored.
If space in color code: It does not work at all

Screenshot(s)
Image)

Additional Information/Notes
In this particular test, I used;

<c0Xÿ>The first word is highlighted regardless of color code, if no space is present.</c>
<cÿÿ >The color code containing a space won't work at all</c>

The letter then produces the same result as the preview.

neverwinternightly

Re: Color Codes Broken

Post by neverwinternightly » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:37 pm

Just based off a quick glance into chat logs, I suspect this has to do with how the new written language system works. The note below is written in common, but it appears in the chat log (outside of game) like this:
<câÛÂ>To</c> <câÛÂ>celebrate</c> <câÛÂ>good</c> <câÛÂ>times,</c> <câÛÂ>share</c> <câÛÂ>merriment</c> <câÛÂ>and</c> <câÛÂ>joy,</c> <câÛÂ>as</c> <câÛÂ>well</c> <câÛÂ>as</c> <câÛÂ>the</c> <câÛÂ>procurement</c> <câÛÂ>of</c> <câÛÂ>Shyr</c> <câÛÂ>Farm</c> <câÛÂ>again,</c> <câÛÂ>Bendir</c> <câÛÂ>is</c> <câÛÂ>hosting</c> <câÛÂ>a</c> <câÛÂ>festival</c> <câÛÂ>in</c> <câÛÂ>celebration!</c>
It seems like notes now utilize the necessary color code for each individual word. That would explain why the first word shifts colors.

<Insert your color code here> The </c> and then the rest of the words in the note follow the color the language is meant to be.

I can't speak to whether or not this could be solved, but I imagine it may be difficult for the new system and that old color code method to coexist.

KT28
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Color Codes Broken

Post by KT28 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:16 am

A fix for your existing notes that have color codes is in the pipeline, expect this issue to resolve in a reset or two.

Additionally there will no longer be color code spam in anyone's logs as neverwinternightly's snippet demonstrates when reading Common only. There will still be an abundance of color codes in some people's logs for non-Common languages; I am aware of this issue and am working on a way to resolve or cut down on it.

In the meantime if you want to avoid this color code spam in your logs you can turn off the "Game Log Chat Text" option in Settings -> Game -> Logging (dialogue/chat window will still get logged!); please see the screenshot below.

One last note: after this fix goes in you will be able to apply color codes in notes again, but only if you are writing Common. Adding custom color codes to any other language will not work and probably will never work, nor do we particularly want players doing it. This isn't the first time color codes has come up as an issue internally; we're discussing how we want to proceed with color code policy now that text color has embedded language significance.