Missing item after crash

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Arithion Ashvor

Missing item after crash

Post by Arithion Ashvor » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:56 am

Description

After the server crashed and was restored at 7:58pm (PST) 4/5/2023. A custom named Justicar's Reach vanished from the inventory of my character.

A few more details prior to the crash (Span of 5 to 10 minutes). First my character had transferred zones from the inside of the Radiant Heart to the outside. Second the item was traded from my character (Dantin Patson - Owner), to another character (Terik Lightblade - Receiver). The character that received the item was able to equip the item before the crash. Third my character had used a shield potion for what must have been a minute before the crash begain.

After the crash and the restoring of the server. Upon logging in, my character was outside the Radiant Heart doors as if he had just exited. The shield potion used just prior to the crash was restored in my character's inventory. The Justicar's Reach however was not found in my character's inventory, nor was it in the inventory of the receiver, Terik Lightblade. Who had also respawned at the same door (Had exited the building before my character prior to crash.). Though his character was shown not wielding a weapon in his hand, but still retaining his shield as if a weapon had been equipped.

Steps to reproduce

Maybe if I know a crash is coming up and I have time to trade the same item to someone. We can see if it reproduces.

Expected result
N/A
Actual result
N/A
Screenshot(s)

None, given the sudden sporadic nature of this bug. It isn't something you have screenshots before or after. I can verify the item as I have it on my PGCC character when I last transferred him.

Misc Notes

Unsure how the character save/inventory save system can register that I used a potion during the crash/right before and restore it. But trading an item several minutes before isn't saved and can't be brought back like it should have been. Given upon reconnecting the character was loaded back at the door of the Radiant Heart building, as if just finished loading from the previous area (inside the Radiant Heart). The data should have indicated the item was still in my character's inventory.

Which Server(s)?

Surface

Gaming Platform(s)?

PC - Windows

DM Spark

Re: Missing item after crash

Post by DM Spark » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:59 am

Best thing to get into the habit of doing is the command -save when you get a new item. Unfortunately in this case it is a matter of WBTHTGA.

Arithion Ashvor

Re: Missing item after crash

Post by Arithion Ashvor » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:47 am

While I don't understand how WBTHTGA applies, especially concerning the wording of the rule on the wiki implies it is more focused on IC incidents. (It hints at strong IC and OOC separation, such as not letting a bad pvp encounter get to you OOCly.) This was a OOC issue caused by a server crash, which then caused a bug that did not produce an item that should have been placed back in the characters inventory.

Also the item wasn't new, it had been in my character's inventory for over 6 months.

Thank you for the timely reply and I merely posted for more information in regards to the bug. As without reports being posted it won't ever be fixed.

You can close this report.