-move_fixture ? && -rotate_fixture

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

-move_fixture ? && -rotate_fixture

Post by Cihparg » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:51 am

-move_fixture:
The description of -move_fixture seems to be erronous.
It currently reads it "Rotates the nearest fixture".
Isn't it meant to say along the lines of "Moves the nearest fixture"?

And, fixtures moved with -move_fixture seem to leave ghost entities behind.
Testing concluded these could be walkmeshes left behind after a fixture is moved.

They persist in the server rather than the client.
Whether these carry over server resets I do not know yet.

Further testing seems to say the meshes do get removed after either expiring, or resting.

-rotate_fixture:
It seems rotate fixture actually rotates in the opposite direction (with cardinal directions).
This could also be the fixtures I was testing with.

Beep boop.

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Re: -move_fixture ? && -rotate_fixture

Post by Liareth » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:05 am

Cihparg wrote:And, fixtures moved with -move_fixture seem to leave ghost entities behind.
Testing concluded these could be walkmeshes left behind after a fixture is moved.

They persist in the server rather than the client.
Whether these carry over server resets I do not know yet.

Further testing seems to say the meshes do get removed after either expiring, or resting.
How do you mean, leaves ghost entities behind? You can see them? Can you move through them or interact with them in any way? More details on the implications of this and what behaviour is wrong here would be greatly appreciated.

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:32 pm

Scholar Midnight wrote:
Cihparg wrote:...
How do you mean, leaves ghost entities behind? You can see them? Can you move through them or interact with them in any way? More details on the implications of this and what behaviour is wrong here would be greatly appreciated.
What I mean is once you move a fixture, it'll leave behind a spot which the server still believes to hold a fixture.
This spot will block access through by forcing the player to backtrack to a non-occupied spot.

There is nothing visible on the spot. The only way to find out it's there is by either trying to walk into it, or past it.
Clicking past it will find a new walk path around it in most cases.

It's essentially a ghost of the fixture that once was there.

I've yet to find out what triggers their expiration/removal, but what I know is that something does, and the issue seems to be on server-side. (Relogging does not affect the spots in any way)

** You can test this out by taking a large fixture, then use -move_fixture to move it around by say 0 2 for a couple times.
That would create an invisible wall that disappears afterwards.
Last edited by Cihparg on Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beep boop.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:48 pm

Cihparg wrote:
Scholar Midnight wrote:
I've yet to find out what triggers their expiration/removal, but what I know is that something does, and the issue seems to be on server-side. (Relogging does not affect the spots in any way)
Ticks?

I haven't been able to reproduce this myself yet.

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:53 pm

JediMindTrix wrote:
Ticks?

I haven't been able to reproduce this myself yet.
Now that you mention it, I can't find out what causes this by normal moving either.
Will experiment.

This could be due to forcing a fixture to spawn on a spot where something already exists.
Will attempt to do a wall with two fixtures inside each other.

Forcing them inside each other doesn't seem to be the cause of this.
However, I'm getting this issue around a permanent-altar, with multiple permanent floor objects.

There are however clear issues with the moved objects.
I've can for one move myself inside them. (Which might be due to there being two in a stack)
Last edited by Cihparg on Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Beep boop.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:59 pm

I don't think that behavior was intended to be supported with this command... but I'm unsure of that.

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:21 pm

JediMindTrix wrote:I don't think that behavior was intended to be supported with this command... but I'm unsure of that.
I'm most certain that this is an intended part of the command. That is, moving them where you want as long as it's not out of bounds.

And further testing seems to say the issue is more with -rotate_fixture than -move_fixture.
I can replicate part of the wall by rotating the fixture, then moving it.

One cannot create an infinitely long wall with this, that much I've confirmed.
There will be ~2-4 ghost spots left from rotating and moving a fixture.

Will continue testing to see if their expiration is due to time, or fixture rotation/movement.
It seems one can expire the ghost spots by either picking up the fixture (so it no longer exists in the area), or rotating for a while until said spots disappear.
Moving may cause more of them*.

On a final note, the issue is likely not with the commands themselves, but NWN's pathing/walkmesh system.
However it might be possible to do something with the commands to fix that - finding out the exact reason why this happens would likely need even more replication.

Beep boop.

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:52 pm

If you're moving fixtures into fixtures, definitely not intended. It should prevent you from doing that.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:20 pm

Hmm, one of the first things that I thought would be awesome with this is the ability to place an altar (or other fixture) directly on top of one of the ritual circles, so that it's centered around the fixture. Is that also not intended?

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:40 pm

Not sure, could you do that before? The only thing unintended is to allow people to clip fixtures into one another in a way that wasn't possible previously. The tool is meant for fine positioning of fixtures, not cheesing them and making houses . . . based in this thread, it looks like the "is another fixture walkmesh already here" check isn't working though, likely causing the walkmesh of the moved fixture not to update correctly because another object is already there. Note that if you DO place a fixture in an invalid position, after reset when loading the fixtures from the database, they will likely spawn in a different place.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:37 am

It wasn't possible (except through dumb luck using the "drop" command in your inventory, which I always find causes my character to turn around to some seemingly-random direction before dropping the fixture) to place them directly centered--the little aura that we use to interact with the ritual circle fixture prevents you from dropping an item directly onto it, so you had to put the fixtures off-center from each other if you wanted them overlapping.

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:03 pm

I'm not sure why this is, but it seems that we can no longer use values lower than 1.0f.
It seems anything below says "Moving the fixture would have put it out of bounds!".

Note, this applies to both -1.0f and 1.0f. (Ofcourse, players don't need to actually type the f. Probably doing so would cause an error)

** Nevermind. It seems I've glitched out the fixtures now.
This could be the anti-"same spot" script doing it's work properly.

But since this never happened before, I don't know for certain.
For the record, I'm trying to place a throne next to an altar, which would place it slightly inside the altar. Nothing that couldn't be done before the command, hence my report.

Beep boop.

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:37 am

Scholar Midnight wrote:Not sure, could you do that before?
Oh yeah, you could do that. Could make it look pretty awesome, too.
EDIT: To make it clear, there's a chair in the middle of all of that, though there was going to be an altar at one point in the ritual. It requires finesse to be able to place everything together, especially where carpets and Circles are concerned, due to the difficulty of current methods.
Also, the whole reason I came onto this thread? I can figure out how to get coordinates near enough to me to use -move_fixture. Help?
IMG_20150616_035419881_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150616_035419881_HDR.jpg (241.47 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs