NPC companions and experience gain

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

NPC companions and experience gain

Post by Iceborn » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:57 am

I'll try to keep it short, but I'll expand if needed.

Currently, if you use any sort of summon (familiars, animal companions, dominated creatures, ETC), you take a hit in your experience gain.

While I can see that this must have implemented to even out balance, I find it as a function that only disheartens players from using their class features. Enchanters who don't dominate, rangers and druids that rather keep their animal companions because there's always that guy in the party who gets fidgety when they are not getting as much experience as they could.

Currently, the more players that there are in a party, add to the total experience gain, and for each extra member after 5 the experience takes a negative hit , which is a lovely encouragement to form parties of five, that said, I will suggest the following:

Companions no longer affect experience gain, instead, they will occupy party slots depending their power. EDK would occupy 3 slots, any Elemental would be 2, a familiar, animal companion and any other low summon 1. Two summoned undead count as 1 slot, 3 summoned undead count as 2.

That means that in a party of 3 characters:
If there's a Dragon Knight, they would get experience hit (Because it would exceed the 5 members cap).
If there's an Elemental, they wouldn't get an experience hit, but neither they would receive extra experience. They would still get the same experience as if it was a party of 3.

This way, you only lose experience gain if you overdo yourself, instead of getting punished for using your class features.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!