Fixed Terms: Settlement Leaderhip, Guild-quarter Ownership

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Dreams

Fixed Terms: Settlement Leaderhip, Guild-quarter Ownership

Post by Dreams » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:51 am

My suggestion is to apply fixed term limits on characters being leader of settlements or owning particular quarters, for the sake of more opportunity for other players to do something with these systems. At the moment, some settlements, some quarters are so incredibly entrenched (whether IC or OOC) that they will never truly be available to other players and characters.

Settlement Leadership:
Recommended term limit: 3 terms per character, which is 3 years in game, which is roughly 3 months IRL. That is a lot of time to do things, and assuming that people pass around leadership within their faction, this is more than enough time to run a settlement. Consider that in some settlements we've seen the same leader for multiple RL years.

Main benefits of term limits:
- Keeps the story moving, prevents stagnation
- Makes the server a friendlier place for new players
- Ends up making these entrenched factions or settlements actively reach out to find new players or new characters to involve
- Is very much in line with our server values of being inclusive and encouraging to other players

Guild-quarter Ownership:
(Including unique or different kinds of quarters, may have to be considered case by case)
Recommended term limit: in line with Mayfield's turnover.
There are quarters on the server that have very unique functions and are mostly held by the same player or group of players for incredible amounts of RL time. These are passed around over time within the same groups but very rarely turned over or given to newer players. Quarters such as privately owned ships (Troubador, Sea Leopard), Mesmer Guildhouse, the small farm outside Bendir (East side, not Shyr), these are all held on an ongoing basis. I'm not making the claim that they are not used for RP, or that the players who have them aren't being inclusive. I'm suggesting that it is bad for server health to have quarters such as these perpetually owned by and passed between the same players for 5+ RL years.

All of this has been covered in the past on the forums, various suggestions have been made, and I'm pretty sure devs have spoken about an intention for term limits to happen. They haven't happened yet, but this might be a good opportunity to confirm plans/direction?

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.