Mockingjays

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Pixelburner

Mockingjays

Post by Pixelburner » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:15 pm

Alright, it's a bit of a long shot suggestion. The objective of it is to provide some cheap and RP ways of communicating between characters using the natural environment (birds, echos etc.).

The upside is that they are cheap/available to use outside of towns. The downside is that (1) they are only available in certain regions and (2) they are more cryptic than premium text-based messages (speedy, ESF illusion, wisp) because these messages are sounds.

The rationale behind that suggestion is that I find it hard for scouts (rangers, archers, sneaky guys etc..) to do a proper scouting job without being able to communicate with each other. Scouting with tracks is really nice (thank you!) but I think more could be done along those lines.

I will use the Arelith Forest as an example but it could be applied to other areas as well (e.g. Crystal Caves etc.).

Concept:
- Add a mockingjay in each area of the Arelith Forest.
- The mockingjay offers a choice of 3 (5? 10?) whistles (strident whistle, soft whistle etc.)
- You talk to the mockingjay and select a whistle
- The chosen whistle appears in the combat log of all people in the Arelith forest, representing the fact that the bird whistle can be heard throughout the forest.
- Optionally, the source area of the whistle is also displayed in the combat log

Restrictions:
- You can only talk to the mockingjay if you speak animal language (?)
- The mockingjay can only whistle once every X minutes

The concept could be themed for each type of area (e.g. tap on a crystal in the crystal cave to create an echo, use a drum in a cave to make sounds).