New Solution For Language Cap

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Bunnysmack
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

New Solution For Language Cap

Post by Bunnysmack » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:28 am

Whether it be the lowly int-dump buffoon character, or the high-int wizard who just couldn't quite fit in gift of tongues, almost all of us WISH we could learn more languages than the int cap allows. Also, The wiki tip of learning a language to 99% and throwing away the book doesn't work. Some glitch makes it so if you have high percentage and lose a phrase book, you ALSO lose almost all your comprehension for that language. Now, I think that some form of limit is good, and this is my proposal for employing it:

When your character hits the limit of languages they can learn full fluency from based on their intelligence score, any further languages learned, no matter how far they are trained, only count as half the mastery of what is listed on the progression percentage. As such, even taking a new language to 100% would only count as intermediary fluency. This would represent the lack of higher cognitive processes necessary to keep track of all the various languages they have tried to pick up.

Technically, in in-game terms, 10 intelligence is supposed to represent "average," but...That would mean someone of average intellect can't learn even one new language outside of what was spoken at home or at work.
"You're insufferable..."
"That's not true! I can totally be suffered!"