Award Race Crafted items

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Airport Proximity Jesus

Award Race Crafted items

Post by Airport Proximity Jesus » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:58 am

A lot of the higher rpr and ECL races have their own crafted items, many of which compete or outperform the best items of their class on the server. This gives both a monetary and meta incentive to play these classes outside of their own unique abilities. Award races have no such items for obvious reasons- their in-designed uniqueness and already usually stronger than average racials would make finding these items if you don't have that crafting tree troublesome. Furthermore, it would bind them to specific classes beyond what they already are for the sake of crafting synergy- not to mention the fact that such items even existing on their own would bind someone to a class that can use these items.

But what if it could be something zany?

What if, instead of race restricted items, these items would be open to use by everyone? No umd requirement, only vague attachments to classes or build types. No crafting checks aside from being the race the item belongs to, and to counteract that, they'd require a MOUNTAIN of mats and craft points?

Some examples off the top of my head. These don't have to be the items, if it's approved, this is just an example of the item concepts I'm trying to communicate.

Here are some items which I am quite certain suck or are too powerful for reasons I'm too stupid to understand, but they communicate the concept I'm trying to get across

Shrieking Sibilant Serenade(SSS for style points)
A flute shaped like a snake.
A flute that allows a bard to cast extra(anywhere from 5-10) extra songs per day, or empowers the bard song somehow, but also applies a debuff of some kind. Maybe it halves or removes the bonus to will saves for the amount of power it offers/for the extra casts.

Pixie's Pendant
A pendant in the shape of a pixie
Maybe it allows the user to self haste- or even to speed themselves up to the movement speed of a pixie a few times a day. Maybe it's got some con on it and some stats good for everyone and comes runed, or some hide/ms - or even lockpick and disable trap!

Ogre's collar
An armored collar for an ogre, a belt for anyone else.
Maybe it's got a big bonus to ac, say 2 or 4 and a bonus to strength, but has a spell fail % on it. Something ~weird and zany~

I could go on, but the point of these items isn't to compete with meta items, but to be attractive oddities for often enchanted item slots or other weird but necessary bits and bobs that people might want a hard item instead of something enchanted. I think, given the secrecy and oddity of the races these would belong to, they could encourage rp with award races, earning trust or bartering. Maybe even the act of convincing one of them to create such a thing would prove difficult, given the sheer investment of materials.
8-) Cool kids wear shades during the endless night 8-)