Leaving Skaljard for the Underdark.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Aren
Contributor
Contributor

Leaving Skaljard for the Underdark.

Post by Aren » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:43 pm

Hello.

When a character reaches the level cap for Skal, they have the option to stay (MoD), go to Guldorand (I think?) or take the super secret Skaldark ferry to Greyport.
Having played a villainous warlock on Skal, and not wanting to participate in the kind of RP that the surface offers (no hate, just not my cuppa), I naturally chose to go to the underdark. The first many RL-days of my characters underdark career, were spent making sure I had the accept of the powers that reigned at that time, to stay. Then I spent a few more days learning enough Undercommon to get by without running into the whole "You no speak language, collar now or die" spiel, every time I went somewhere.
After a week or so of situating my character, I finally start making allies for grinding and such. Huzzah! My villainous warlock has found his place in the world!

Now imagine my dispair, when almost every zone that has any worthwhile XP for underdark characters of late teen levels / beginning epic levels, also has a very high chance to be affected by the Faerzress. Now, I don't mind when the volcano spawns, or the random stuns, imprisonments or losing half your coin - that's all part of the charm of wildmagic. However, another system was put in to act as an extreme deterrent for surface casters going to the UD for grinding. Every time you proc a wildsurge as a surface (non-shadowmage) arcane caster, which is quite often as a warlock, you have a 50%? chance to take roughly 60 damage of non-mitigatable damage, that also stuns you. My 300+ HP warlock, almost killed himself on the first pack of Crinti when trying to help someone complete their writ. While I understand that the Faerzress SHOULD wreak havoc on non native UD characters, completely barring migrating surface arcane casters (by making them take immense damage and a stun) from doing anything in the underdark does not, in my opinion, do anything good for anyone. The crazy randomness of wildmagic is dangerous enough.

Another thing to consider is that someone, possibly a new player, migrating from Skal to Andunor, may not be aware of the fact that non-native arcane casters will have a -very- bad time in the underdark, and have their entire experience and concept ruined by a highly detrimental mechanic, forcing them to roll or toss aside their character in frustration.

Sincerely

Aren

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

Drowboy

Re: Leaving Skaljard for the Underdark.

Post by Drowboy » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:01 pm

Probably non-UD native races shouldn't be given the option to flip over to the UD at that level anyway.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:08 pm

The Faerzress backlash is super bad design.

Mattamue
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Mattamue » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:17 pm

It's only non-ud?

Who is the audience for this post?

DangerDolphin

Post by DangerDolphin » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:20 pm

The effect is much worse for Surfacers.

It doesn't apply to outcasts and slaves however, I guess because it assume those races have adapted.

Personally I think it's a little inconsistent, and should either be paired with -AB for races without darkvision to cope for non-casters, and more penalties to underdarkers on the surface, or just removed.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:21 pm

It singles out vanilla wizards, sorcerers and warlocks. Everyone else just doesn't care.

Aren
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aren » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:58 am

DangerDolphin wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:20 pm
"..or just removed."
That would be desirable. I am all for opening up player choices. This particular mechanic is a hard shutdown, sadly.

".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

CNS

Post by CNS » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:59 pm

DangerDolphin wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:20 pm
The effect is much worse for Surfacers.

It doesn't apply to outcasts and slaves however, I guess because it assume those races have adapted.

Personally I think it's a little inconsistent, and should either be paired with -AB for races without darkvision to cope for non-casters, and more penalties to underdarkers on the surface, or just removed.
As someone who has an outcast warlock it 100% does apply to them.

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:13 pm

Is this a new effect? I've leveled a lot of outcasts and I've never seen any backlash damage.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

Itikar

Post by Itikar » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:46 pm

Outcasts and slaves are not affected according to the posts above.

Aren
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aren » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:18 pm

Drowboy wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:13 pm
Is this a new effect? I've leveled a lot of outcasts and I've never seen any backlash damage.
Outcasts (mechanical outcasts) are considered native underdarkers by the script, thus it does not fire for them. I will make a video with my Old warlock from Skal, and post here for people to see.

Aren
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aren » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:49 pm

https://youtu.be/eMWsZfwwkI8

Youtube makes videos extra dark for some reason - but this is the result of fighting Crinti at the ruins.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:51 pm

I'm discussing this issue with the team. Thanks for the feedback.

Aren
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aren » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:24 pm

Irongron wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:51 pm
Glad to hear it. Thank you, Irongron.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:10 pm

One potential solution could be to simply only allow Evil-aligned PCs to go down into the UD, and to automatically make PCs who decide to take the UD route to leave Skal into Outcasts - while making it crystal clear that this is what they're doing by choosing a life in the Underdark instead of going to the Surface.
what would fred rogers do?

andthenthatwasthat

Post by andthenthatwasthat » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:25 am

Not saying this isn't valid feedback, but how is this different from any other character who starts in Cordor and ends up going down to UD? Isn't the outcast/slave mechanics there to allow for playing Surface races in UD. Maybe I missed something in the OP.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:40 am

Flower Power wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:10 pm
One potential solution could be to simply only allow Evil-aligned PCs to go down into the UD
Why only evil PCs?

There's a vast difference between hanging around Andunor and ejoying the PvE content. There are no mechanical walls that'd gate the UD races from going to the surface dungeons, why should the reverse be the case?

Ninjimmy

Post by Ninjimmy » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:26 am

Flower Power wrote:
One potential solution could be to simply only allow Evil-aligned PCs to go down into the UD, and to automatically make PCs who decide to take the UD route to leave Skal into Outcasts - while making it crystal clear that this is what they're doing by choosing a life in the Underdark instead of going to the Surface.
Don't think that first point came across quite how intended.
Like, if you flipped it "only allow Good-aligned PCs to go up to the Surface"

I assume that this is more talking about the Skaldark/Greyport trip which you're suggesting only Evil PC's/Branded Outcasts can take?
I'm still iffy about that too, it makes for an interesting if super dangerous way off of Skal during Winter which can be quite fun for RP and PVE, I did that on one character in a panicked sprint across areas trying to find a safe-ish way back up.
Playing:
Olwin (AKA Olicoros Vrozt Akael Shilligg Jugem Dojj Winzalfur AKA That £$%^ing Wizard)

Aren
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aren » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:34 am

Irongron wrote:
Hello Irongron,

Any news on this?

Kind regards,

Aren

Pippo

Post by Pippo » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:36 pm

Flower Power wrote:
My (non evil) WP, once he heard that adamantine was to be found in the Underdark, decided to take the ferry, armed only with a phrasebook and his trusty greataxe. Was made slave as soon as he arrived at Saltspar, but has been having quite a good time around.

There can be various different reasons to move to the UD.

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:32 am

Aren wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:34 am
Irongron wrote:
Hello Irongron,

Any news on this?

Kind regards,

Aren
Well, to be absolutely honest with you? I haven't heard a peep from the team on this between that day and this. I absolutely forgot to follow it up, being as I am totally distracted with the new city launch.

Still, perhaps with the bump here it will be back on people's radar? As I recall there was talk of a craftable/consumable for wouldn't be UD delvers to overcome the worst aspects of the Faerzress, but there might be a more popular approach. I really can't say (or indeed promise) anything concrete on this right now... (I do agree something should be done though)

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:04 am

Flower Power wrote:
This, but not necessarily alignment locked.

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:47 am

ReverentBlade wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:04 am
This, but not necessarily alignment locked.
Behold the stream of lawful good elven and shield dwarven paladin automated "outcasts" coming from Skall to liberate the Underdark from their evil overlords. :lol:

Neutral migth be fine though, depending if the Server Staff wants to see a larger variety of surface races in the UD, taking advantage of a hassle free outcast automation system.

In my personal opinion, you can always apply for outcast token, so automated process migth not be neccessary. Not all people know this though.

On another note, in Bats thread of Time Transition, Skall will have an Icebreaker ship able to operate year-around but offers no return trip to Skall. It migth change the neccesity of using the underdark route, with the exception of evil characters such as warlocks.

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:23 am

Skarain wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:47 am
Behold the stream of lawful good elven and shield dwarven paladin automated "outcasts" coming from Skall to liberate the Underdark from their evil overlords. :lol:
Sure. Doesn't mean I'll let them into my surface city either, though.

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:38 am

Faerzress-Adapted

Require Neutral or Evil
Requires Minor Award

A character with Faerzress-Adapted is able to cast without additional penalties in Faerzress-influenced zones. Additionally, they may utilize the portals in Andunor proper.

Faerzress-Adapted can be seen on the character examine page with a DC (whatever) Spellcraft check.

Most Underdark races are Faerzress-Adapted by default.

Retires Outcast system.