How to best RP out an IC goal for an orphanage?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

UilliamNebel

How to best RP out an IC goal for an orphanage?

Post by UilliamNebel » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:44 pm

I want to IC pursue a long term goal of establishing a Druidic orphanage on Arelith island, likely in Guldorand, or DarkHeart.

What are some steps to be taken IC?

Was thinking it would be best to seek out other players the would share the idea IC. And to also keep track of the RP and such. But beyond RPing it, gathering materials, talking to important PCs and NPCs on this. What are some other considerations to think on?

Can also accept if off the bat the idea of making an actual orphanage in game somewhere is just not possible, or feasible. But just wanted something as a long term goal IC my character can be pursuing.

Baron Saturday

Re: How to best RP out an IC goal for an orphanage?

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:30 pm

An orphanage is tricky, because there's no child PCs, and getting child npcs would require builder intervention, which is generally unlikely for this style of project. This ultimately means that you, and anyone who joined you, would be rping around the existence of npcs that aren't there, which kinda breaks the whole "what you see is what you get" concept.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:13 pm

As you mentioned druid, might be easier to RP around the idea of a wildlife preserve where you raise baby/young animals whose homes were destroyed by errant fireballs or over-hunting and prepare them to live on their own. Easy enough to collect the NPCs with Animal Empathy as well.

Also removes a bit of the narrative backlash if someone enters conflict with you as while some people might be like "aw Bambi" other people may think "I wonder what the equivalent of 'veal' is for fawns?" And keep in mind that no RP is sacrosanct, you're giving permission for others to participate in the RP but they choose how they do so. And if my earlier statement makes you uncomfortable and thinking "yeah, that's not something I want to deal with" then keep it in mind for any planning.

Curve

Post by Curve » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:16 pm

I agree with both of the posters above. Ask yourself how you will bring your idea to other characters, and how those characters will interact with it. In this case the thing you would be building could never be interacted with in the real.

If you really want to explore the concept a better way to do it would be to have the orphanage off Arelith, on the mainland. Have your character tell people that you are sending all your gold to build this place for X reasons. This way you get an excuse to go out and do stuff, earn gold and such. You could even take the concept for a walk and play an evil character who is willing to murder and steal to fund this orphanage.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:27 am

Honestly i think it would be a great plot arc for an evil druid to set up a children's home in the middle of a jungle full of deadly snakes and tigers, it's like your feeding the wildlife under the guise of doing "good".

But as others have already said it's kind of hard to do as it would have no support and the RP around against such could be rather on the 18 certificate than PG.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:45 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:30 pm
An orphanage is tricky, because there's no child PCs, and getting child npcs would require builder intervention, which is generally unlikely for this style of project. This ultimately means that you, and anyone who joined you, would be rping around the existence of npcs that aren't there, which kinda breaks the whole "what you see is what you get" concept.
I can only echo this, I would strongly advise to avoid any avenues of roleplay that directly involves children. Arelith is a highly dangerous/violent 'sword and sorcery' setting, and this may well place characters in uncomfortable situations. By all means talk about how your character aids needy orphans with their spare gold, or has children, etc, but it should always be something that happens entirely off-screen, and should not ideally be the primary focus of one's narrative.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:50 pm

What Irongron and the others just said. That said - to adress the question at hand:
I want to IC pursue a long term goal of establishing a Druidic orphanage on Arelith island, likely in Guldorand, or DarkHeart.

Well the first thing to do is surely to kill enough parents, right?
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:58 pm

How about raising some treants? Sounds like that could be groovy.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:46 pm

Sounds a bit sappy to me.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:20 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:50 pm

Kids, wondering how to get into adventuring and can't think of a starting point for your career? No worries! Many of the most famous adventurers share one thing in common, murdered parents. Whether it is by marauding orcs or a crossbow bolt in a dark alley behind a theater, the common theme is orphaned through violence. Select the most enticing option from over a hundred different choices to start your career off with the bang! Now with a recent chapter house established in the Underdark we can offer drow, oozes, and other never before seen options.

Disclaimer: Cyric LLC does not hold any responsibility over collateral deaths, evidence pointing to (p\m)atricide, or eternal damnation of the soul. Warning: side effects may include stroke, fetish of bats, one dimensionalism, and in not so rare cases, death.

godhand-
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by godhand- » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:44 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:46 pm
Sounds a bit sappy to me.
badumtish
Cortex wrote: Addendum, the immediate above post by godhand is wrong in about every aspect, as were most of his other posts.

Watchful Glare

Post by Watchful Glare » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:54 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:50 pm
What Irongron and the others just said. That said - to adress the question at hand:

This made me laugh a lot, thank you
Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.

LasharaDyran

Post by LasharaDyran » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:17 am

And with a few small words we are that much closer to figuring out GC's alignment.

Curve

Post by Curve » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:20 pm

LasharaDyran wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:17 am
GC's alignment.
NG

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:59 pm

There are some stories that can't be told on Arelith - this is probably one of them.

Play to the strengths of the server. We often think of characters and try to make them 'fit', rather than look to the environment of the server to capitalize on what is already there.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil