Climb ingame feedback info

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Dreams

Climb ingame feedback info

Post by Dreams » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:47 am

Characters who have DEX as their highest ability are not receiving accurate feedback on climb checks in game. Almost every climb check is coming back as 'near impossible' and 'potentially fatal bodily harm'. Many of these can still be climbed with gear, often the result for my character is 45 vs DC20-30.

The problem comes up when suddenly there's a climb check with DC70 that provides the exact same feedback as all of the other climbing spots.

Good Character

Re: Climb ingame feedback info

Post by Good Character » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:49 am

Currently DEX isn't adding into Climb from my experience, which I believe is a known issue.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:48 pm

It seems to be adding to climb in the actual check, but not in the original feedback on whether a climb is likely to be made or not. This feedback is also obscure to the point where getting 'near impossible' on every check and usually succeeding completely masked an actual fatal climb at a ridiculously high DC.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:37 pm

For me it's not adding DEX unless it's working for some climbs and not others.

Definately Not A Mimic

Post by Definately Not A Mimic » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:02 pm

On the few I've checked it is adding in dex once it gives you the check vs dc, what I have noticed though is that my check, without changing gear or buffs, is different at different climb spots.

On a side note, found a few more climb spots yesterday that were great, very neat locations, liking them so far

msheeler
Contributor
Contributor

Post by msheeler » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:15 pm

The feedback should be different most times. It is Climb check: (d20 + ClimbSkill + RopeBonus + RaceBonus + ClassBonus) vs DC: (the DC set on that climb spot).

msheeler
Contributor
Contributor

Post by msheeler » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:21 pm

Additionally there is this known bug: "Its been remarked that it appears to be returning 0, not -1, if a PC does not have any ranks in a skill and it it one that requires training."

So, if you are a dex based character and have zero ranks in the skill from level ups and are thus relying only on dex bonus + gear bonus then this is going to return that you have zero ranks.

This might be a bug in the way the climb skill is set up.